Leica Geovid-R 10X42 OR Leica Geovid HD-R-2700 Anyone Been Using These

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone put these two Leica’s through the paces?
How have they held up in Real world hunting conditions?
Are there any big advantage to the HD model?
I am familiar and have used several pair of Leica Trinovids 10X42 and they have served me well. The Trinovids are not top of the line glass but I would be happy with a rangefinder Leica Geovid similar to the quality and optic level of the non R Trinovids.
Hoping to find a few of you that have owned the Leica Geovids for 5 years or so.

OP
M

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
I was hoping some of the guys who use these binos up in BC,Yukon, NWT and Alaska give their opinions. Looking to buy a pair .

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
just ordered some from 1 shotgear on a smolkin deal. Got them today and played with them for a while after demoing them in cabelas comparing them to swaro slc and some Els . FOR MY EYES , they were better optically . Everyones different . I was using maven 9 x 45s and zeiss before . I really like these and the range finder uilt in is just a huge bonus . I didnt go into the store looking for these. I wanted the swaros . But for me , the glass quality was Amazing and had a better view . Ill put them to work this weekend and see how they do. For what its worth I grabbed some NL pures and the ergonomics is incredible , the glass is excellent . But for right now they werent 1300.00 better . lol. Ill do another update soon. But I think I made a great decision on top tier glass .

Hi MtnW, a co-worker here at Leica forwarded me your query, and I thought I'd (belatedly) jump in. Here's a quick rundown:

HD-R 2700

Much better optics, 10%, or more, better light transmission. -Light transmission in the older R is different in each barrel because the laser system in the right barrel reduces its light transmission a little vs. the left barrel. This difference between barrels was overcome in the HD-R. Plus, the newer glass and coating technology in the HD-R allowed for a huge leap in transmission overall.

Much better laser, true 2700 yard ranging (the normal atmospheric conditions, target quality, and user effort caveats apply).

More advanced angle compensation. EHR (our term for angle commentated distance) is computed for distance and angle only from 10-100 yards for bow hunters and automatically switches to a more advanced algorithm that includes temperature and absolute air pressure (station pressure) for calculations from 100-1200 yards. -This negates the need to have or switch between custom turrets that are cut for various conditions. Just get one turret cut for 58*F, 0 feet altitude and your ballistics. The HD-R will do the atmospheric calculation for you in real-time in the field.

Geovid R

Older, but still very good, optical design. -They should noticeably optically outperform other LRF binos at a similar or lower price point.

1200 yard laser that will range a deer at 1200 yards (again, the normal atmospheric conditions, target quality, and user effort caveats apply).

Simple EHR that calculates angle compensated distance, based on range and angle only, from 10-1200.

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
Hi MtnW, a co-worker here at Leica forwarded me your query, and I thought I'd (belatedly) jump in. Here's a quick rundown:

HD-R 2700

Much better optics, 10%, or more, better light transmission. -Light transmission in the older R is different in each barrel because the laser system in the right barrel reduces its light transmission a little vs. the left barrel. This difference between barrels was overcome in the HD-R. Plus, the newer glass and coating technology in the HD-R allowed for a huge leap in transmission overall.

Much better laser, true 2700 yard ranging (the normal atmospheric conditions, target quality, and user effort caveats apply).

More advanced angle compensation. EHR (our term for angle commentated distance) is computed for distance and angle only from 10-100 yards for bow hunters and automatically switches to a more advanced algorithm that includes temperature and absolute air pressure (station pressure) for calculations from 100-1200 yards. -This negates the need to have or switch between custom turrets that are cut for various conditions. Just get one turret cut for 58*F, 0 feet altitude and your ballistics. The HD-R will do the atmospheric calculation for you in real-time in the field.

Geovid R

Older, but still very good, optical design. -They should noticeably optically outperform other LRF binos at a similar or lower price point.

1200 yard laser that will range a deer at 1200 yards (again, the normal atmospheric conditions, target quality, and user effort caveats apply).

Simple EHR that calculates angle compensated distance, based on range and angle only, from 10-1200.
is there a video anywhere on how to adjust or change the ballistics to meet my rifle needs.

Theres no adjustment to the ballistics on this model. The ballistics are handled in your custom turret. If you want to customize your ballistics internally to the Geovid, you'll need a 3200COM or an older HD-B.

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
Theres no adjustment to the ballistics on this model. The ballistics are handled in your custom turret. If you want to customize your ballistics internally to the Geovid, you'll need a 3200COM or an older HD-B.
I got you . so I get a turret cut for my 300wsm at 58 and 0 elevation with my bullet specs and RF does the rest. Is that right?

prm

WKR
If I read the instructions correctly, you compare your actual ballistics at 0’ elevation, 58deg, to the table of 12 ballistic curves. Pick the closest one, select that in the bino and it will give you a solution based on that preset curve you selected, adjusted for angle, temp and pressure? If the best curve is still off a bit it’s up to the user to know when to adjust one or two less, or more, clicks. Reading further, you can load a custom curve from the Hunting App which is then adjusted for the same environmentals? Can you have more than one custom curve loaded? i.e. two different rifles. Just trying to understand.

Sako76

WKR
I have the 2700, amazing glass. I can see more than twice as far as the Leupold 10X Pinnackes I was using. Much clearer and sharper. I got an open box demo from Camersland for $2K a couple of years ago.