Leica HD-B 3000 review **Updated 11/26/19**

codym

WKR
I don’t think they do but just want to confirm yes or no. Do these have the ability to Bluetooth to external devices like the kestrel like the 2800.com rangefinder? I would be very interested in these if they do.

How do they work in cold weather?

I returned HD-B 2000's that didn't work in cold weather, warranty sent me a pair of 2200's. 2200s didn't work in cold weather and they sent me a pair of 3000's. 3000's got sold NIB because i wasn't about to wait until i left CA for a MT elk hunt to find out if they worked in the cold or not.

I preferred the glass in mine to my zeiss conquest HD's, depth of focus is unreal with the HD-B's. The custom ballistics worked sufficiently for hunting purposes as well.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It takes longer than an hour for the tempature to cool the electronics. About 24-36 hours in the 20’s is where RF’s start showing issues.

Not all Leicas do it, but a certain percentage do, and enough of them to be noticeable if you see/use a bunch of them.

Do you think it is realistic for bino's to be sitting out in 20 degree temps for 24-36 hours without receiving any heat source?

The human body puts off +/-350,000 joules of energy every single hour. For some context, it only takes about 1,900 joules to raise the temperature of 16 ounces of water about 2 degrees F. Solids, such as aluminum (common material for binocular chassis), has a specific heat that's about 20% of liquid water, which means less energy is needed to change temperatures.

So my point, if guys wear their bino’s on their chest, their bino's will likely never experience 20-degree temperatures for 24-36 hours....unless the guy wearing them is dead.

Also, while I was at the range, my chrono froze (literally had frost covering it), and stopped working. My phone also stopped working. So while it's only anecdotal at this point, it was good to see that my bino's still worked fine. This hunting season will be a better indicator for me.

Valid considerations. I kept my geovids in a harness on my chest and they still quit on me around 32 degrees. Good to hear that yours are doing better,

A common situation that I could see as troublesome is in use on a tripod for a while away from body heat.

It takes longer than an hour for the tempature to cool the electronics. About 24-36 hours in the 20’s is where RF’s start showing issues.

Not all Leicas do it, but a certain percentage do, and enough of them to be noticeable if you see/use a bunch of them.

What models have you seen do better than others in the cold?

My sig 2400 ABS hasn't failed me yet but haven't used it a ton in cold.. Last year in the teens the display was fading a bit which makes me a little nervous.

Sorry for the thread hijack..

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Do you think it is realistic for bino's to be sitting out in 20 degree temps for 24-36 hours without receiving any heat source?

Yes, all the time. Remove the math nerd stuff, and go out and use them in late season mountainous weather. Not trying to be rude, but do you actually go out and backpack hunt in cold weather? If not, binos are not 70 degrees inside a bino pouch even wearing it on your chest (it’s good for around 10 degree F increase over ambient, btw), in below 20 weather. Not to mention, I don’t, and no one that I know, sleeps with their binos in the bag with them, as they would frost up nearly immediately when pulled out.

You would be hard pressed to name a BRF that I haven’t seen muliple examples used for extended periods of time in that exact scenario. To an extent they all have issues in true cold.

What models have you seen do better than others in the cold?

My sig 2400 ABS hasn't failed me yet but haven't used it a ton in cold.. Last year in the teens the display was fading a bit which makes me a little nervous.

Sorry for the thread hijack..

Sigs have been about like most- hit or miss. It seems that Leica's that go back for warranty because of cold issues usually come back working much better. Swarovski EL Ranges have done pretty well, Zeiss’s new ones have done well from the limited time with them. The surprise has been Nikon Laserforce, and Vortex Fury 5000’s. Both have worked flawlessly to well below zero for extended periods. The battery does drain, but if you keep spares close to your body, you’ll get enough life out of them.

Last year on an elk hunt, using two different European “alpha” bino rangefinders I could not get a range at all past 230’ish meters in sub 30 degree weather. No amount of replacing batteries helped. The next morning, even zipping the pouch up under my outer layer I could not range a bull at all. My buddy with a pair of $900 Nikon’s ranged it instantly (666 yards) and I killed it. To be fair, another had Swaro EL Ranges and it worked too.

204guy

WKR
Good thread diversion, validates still running a separate dedicated lrf. I've had cold issues with my sig 2000 but it's small enough I can just carry it my front pocket and the boys keep it functioning perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

junior

WKR
Tony- interested on your input on the ring from outdoorsmans as well as cold weather experience with the binoculars. A good majority of my hunting is sub 30 temps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Do you leave it on the tripod or binoculars when not mounted? I’d love to see a pic from the objective end. I may have to try one.

I have the Objective ring adapter on an Outdoorsmans quick change plate and it does not stay on Bino.

X3. Outdoorsman guy told me it wouldn't work??

Not sure why they would say that. Been using it on my original Leica HD-Bs since 2014.

And it looks like you're using the Promaster XC-M tripod? I picked one up this year and I am really impressed with it so far. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it as well. I'd also like to see a view of the front of your Leica with the 42mm adapter.

I wanted a ultra light weight tripod that I could use standing up. Its great until the wind blows, then it shakes like cat shitting razor blades. I am not in love with it and will probably not use again.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I don’t think they do but just want to confirm yes or no. Do these have the ability to Bluetooth to external devices like the kestrel like the 2800.com rangefinder? I would be very interested in these if they do.

No bluetooth in the 3000 this year...

Awesome binos. I have the Geovid 2200 HD-B and they are awesome

I have the original as well and have been happy with them, the 3000 is better.

How do they work in cold weather?

I returned HD-B 2000's that didn't work in cold weather, warranty sent me a pair of 2200's. 2200s didn't work in cold weather and they sent me a pair of 3000's. 3000's got sold NIB because i wasn't about to wait until i left CA for a MT elk hunt to find out if they worked in the cold or not.

I preferred the glass in mine to my zeiss conquest HD's, depth of focus is unreal with the HD-B's. The custom ballistics worked sufficiently for hunting purposes as well.

They have worked flawlessly for me this year in all weather conditions. Coldest I have seen is teens.

Range finder would stop working completely starting in the low 40s.

I would send them back then, that should not happen.

My HD-Bs 2000 I have had since they came out in 2014 have seen temps as low as -25 for extended days, I have never had an issue. Maybe I am just lucky?

Good thread diversion, validates still running a separate dedicated lrf. I've had cold issues with my sig 2000 but it's small enough I can just carry it my front pocket and the boys keep it functioning perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have spent a lot of time debating this with myself. I go back and forth on it. There needs to be a better archery ballistic program made for RF systems. A program that you can customize similar to the rifle ballistic program.

Tony- interested on your input on the ring from outdoorsmans as well as cold weather experience with the binoculars. A good majority of my hunting is sub 30 temps

While the Outdoorsmans objective ring is not perfect, It is the best I have found. I have never had any issues in the cold with the two HD-B binos I have.

My first post here and thought I comment on Leica's binos. I just bought the 3000 HD-B and was able to compare them against Swaros 10 x 42 rangefinder binos. In theory Leica's new prism sytem in all their HD's allow more light than any other brand on the market.

I own 10 x 32 and 12 x 50 Swaro EL's as well and now Leica. IMO Leica has the best rangefinder bino on the market.

fatbacks

WKR
Just thought I would chime in about the temperature related comments here. Just got back from a winter cow moose hunt and used my HD-B 3000's the entire time. They were in and out of my jacket and in the storage box on my snow machine. They worked flawlessly the whole time despite temperature ranging from 0-15 F the whole time.

Of note, they did a good job ranging sub 500 yds in semi-blizzard conditions.

tdhanses

WKR
FYI there was a bad batch of HD-B 2200’s that had the electronics not built properly and the fault comes out in the cold, Leica will replace these. Mine had this issue and wouldn’t range when it got down into the teens or lower, they sent me a new pair that work fine in the cold.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
FYI there was a bad batch of HD-B 2200’s that had the electronics not built properly and the fault comes out in the cold, Leica will replace these. Mine had this issue and wouldn’t range when it got down into the teens or lower, they sent me a new pair that work fine in the cold.
Good to hear they stood behind the bad batch.

Found out yesterday Leica is offering $1K off this model. Originally it was 500.00 but this promo goes thru 12/4. Too late for me but others can benefit, if sitting on the fence.
That's a great deal!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veron16