Leica HD-B 3000 review **Updated 11/26/19**

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I just got my hands on the Leica’s top of the line range finding binoculars, the HD-B 3000.
LEICA HD-B 3000

I plan to use them this fall for a bunch of my hunts and report back what I find. I purchased the original HD-B years ago when they first released them so I’ll be able to relate them to the newest version.
Leica Rangefinding

Any particular questions, fire them at me!

Edit 11/26/19: Tony's review is complete

Leica Geovid HD-B 3000 Review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hammerguy

FNG
View attachment 115742
I just got my hands on the Leica’s top of the line range finding binoculars, the HD-B 3000.
LEICA HD-B 3000

I plan to use them this fall for a bunch of my hunts and report back what I find. I purchased the original HD-B years ago when they first released them so I’ll be able to relate them to the newest version.
Leica Rangefinding

Any particular questions, fire them at me!

8x42 or 10x42?
I want these so bad and want them to be so much better than equivalent Swaros. Can you do the cross-brand comparison?

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
This set I have is 10x42. I don't have much experience with the Swaro EL Range. I almost bought them over the Geovids back in 2014 but the Swarovski's button is on the left side and for any type of archery use it is tough to use for a right handed person.

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a set and optically I'm unimpressed compared to my 10x50 Ultravids. I like the rangefinder but the aiming circle should be smaller. My 2700 rangefinder has a smaller circle. The clarity thing is big for me though. I guess that is why I out glass my buddy who has the 2200yd model when I use my Ultravids.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I just bought a set and optically I'm unimpressed compared to my 10x50 Ultravids. I like the rangefinder but the aiming circle should be smaller. My 2700 rangefinder has a smaller circle. The clarity thing is big for me though. I guess that is why I out glass my buddy who has the 2200yd model when I use my Ultravids.

WOW, those Ultravids must be amazing! I have the original HD-B and so far I haven't noticed any decline in clarity with the 3000. I will give them a few months straight of glassing every day so I will find out if there is an issue, I have not seen any Leica products with sub par glass.

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't say it's sub par they just aren't as clear. 10x42's will never be 10x50's but at the same time it is known that you give up some clarity for the range finder. Honestly they are handy. I used them on Kodiak last week but if I was in a pure glassing situation, where your trying to pick horn tips or a ear out of brush/trees, I'd pick the Ultravids any/every time. Low light the 50's crush 42's anyway. I truely wish they made the HD-B's in 10x50 and 12x50's. I would give up the slightly clarity loss of the rangefinder. My hunting partner has the HD-B 2200's and the 3000's are basically the same with a better rangefinder. I'm on the fence as to weather or not to keep them to be honest. I'm use to better image quality and light gathering and it sucks to go back in order to have a built in rangefinder.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I’m loving them so far. I see no clarity issues with this pair.
60800f858071f5458456bd3728a4fbe2.jpg

tdhanses

WKR
WOW, those Ultravids must be amazing! I have the original HD-B and so far I haven't noticed any decline in clarity with the 3000. I will give them a few months straight of glassing every day so I will find out if there is an issue, I have not seen any Leica products with sub par glass.

I was just thinking that as well, my hdb’s were not far off from my EL swarovisions I had prior to them.

tdhanses

WKR
8x42 or 10x42?
I want these so bad and want them to be so much better than equivalent Swaros. Can you do the cross-brand comparison?

I need to compare my Leica’s to my buddies swaro but if I remember correctly the Leica edges out the swaro rangefinding binos. I do know my 2200’s were not far off from the regular EL swarovision’s I had prior.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Tony, another guy here interested in how you are mounting those. I thought they had to be strap mounted also?

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
What mount is that?
X2 on the mount question - looks like an Outdoorsman's pan head...I didn't think any mounts worked on Leica's except strap types like the Bino Hand...
Tony, another guy here interested in how you are mounting those. I thought they had to be strap mounted also?

Sorry guys, I was out of service for a bit there. On my way to MT now for my next tag. I use the Outdoorsmans 42mm Objective ring. It's on their site and slides over the barrel of the bino. It's the best I have found for the Leica.

Grumman

WKR
Do you leave it on the tripod or binoculars when not mounted? I’d love to see a pic from the objective end. I may have to try one.

LBuchser

WKR
I’m loving them so far. I see no clarity issues with this pair.
60800f858071f5458456bd3728a4fbe2.jpg

And it looks like you're using the Promaster XC-M tripod? I picked one up this year and I am really impressed with it so far. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it as well. I'd also like to see a view of the front of your Leica with the 42mm adapter.

FYI... and for what it's worth...
I had Outdoorsman's Joe send a ring mount. I'm sending it back. There is just not enough room between objective and bridge to run this without the threat of the bino falling out. The ring mount will not secure the bino with regular up/down and side to side movement . At least, not secure enough for me! I am not crazy about the bino hand but, it does provide security. Tony, if it works for you so be it but, I paid too much to test the Leica warranty when they fall out...and they will if not extremely careful!

chops24

WKR
FYI... and for what it's worth...
I had Outdoorsman's Joe send a ring mount. I'm sending it back. There is just not enough room between objective and bridge to run this without the threat of the bino falling out. The ring mount will not secure the bino with regular up/down and side to side movement . At least, not secure enough for me! I am not crazy about the bino hand but, it does provide security. Tony, if it works for you so be it but, I paid too much to test the Leica warranty when they fall out...and they will if not extremely careful!

Thank you that’s what I was worried about