Leica Rangemaster CRF 3500.com Review ***Updated 1/8/21***

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I had the opportunity to review the new Leica Rangemaster CRF 3500.com this past season. You can read my review at the link below. The range finder technology and Bluetooth is improving every year!

If you have specific questions, post them up and I will answer here, if I don't have it in the article already, I might add it so it'll help someone else later.

***Leica Rangemaster CRF 3500.com Review***

IMG_3959.jpg

LoneStar

Lil-Rokslider
If possible please provide a report on use in various weather conditions, rain, full sun, fog, etc. Thanks for doing this!

I imagine you have this already, but I’d like to know how close you can get the phone app ballistics to match your true ballistics and what process you used for that. I’ve got the 2800.com and have been playing around with it but still working on getting the trajectory to line up right.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I imagine you have this already, but I’d like to know how close you can get the phone app ballistics to match your true ballistics and what process you used for that. I’ve got the 2800.com and have been playing around with it but still working on getting the trajectory to line up right.
It seems like The Leica Hunting App uses the same ballistic software that they used to have on there website for loading ballistic data on the micro sd cards that were used in the HDB Geovids that required the chip. I was able to use the 3500.com along side my Geovids that have the chip and get the same aiming corrections.

HuntWyld

WKR
The app allows you to put in a full custom profile down to specific projectile used, BC, muzzle velocity. You don’t have to use one of their preset “curves” anymore. My 2800.com is on order so I’ve been playing with the app, however the one thing I haven’t been able to figure out is if the standard yardage readout is default angle compensated for archery or if you have to go into the app and choose angle compensation instead of MOA adjustments? I know it gives you both yardage and ballistics at the same time but was hoping the yardage was always default angle compensated that way you don’t have to change anything between using bow/rifle.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
The app allows you to put in a full custom profile down to specific projectile used, BC, muzzle velocity. You don’t have to use one of their preset “curves” anymore. My 2800.com is on order so I’ve been playing with the app, however the one thing I haven’t been able to figure out is if the standard yardage readout is default angle compensated for archery or if you have to go into the app and choose angle compensation instead of MOA adjustments? I know it gives you both yardage and ballistics at the same time but was hoping the yardage was always default angle compensated that way you don’t have to change anything between using bow/rifle.

I went to EHR for archery. It adjusts for angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BjornF16

WKR
Where is a good place to find the Leica CRF 3500 discounted?

I'm ready to jump aboard...

bjaegers

Lil-Rokslider
What if your phone dies... Will the range finder give you the correct MOA adjustment once you set your ballistic information with the ap.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
What if your phone dies... Will the range finder give you the correct MOA adjustment once you set your ballistic information with the ap.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Solid question, I keep a battery pack that I can get a few phone charges with me at all time. I can use it to charge other devises like my inreach too.

DRUSS

WKR
So, if it has your data is that for a specific saved profile? Or can you switch to others that are saved without the use of your phone? I wonder if the binoculars are the same?

HuntWyld

WKR
I’m pretty sure you need to connect your phone real quick and select which profile you want, at least that’s what I do when switching from EHD mode for archery to MOA for rifle. It takes a few seconds is all.

Vaultman

WKR
Comparing the 2800.com to the 3500.com...
is there any benefit of the 3500.com other than the distance of ranging? If so, do you have to have a kestrel to gain that additional benefit? (I am not planning any shooting beyond the 875 yard limit.)

BjornF16

WKR
2800 is a Class 1 laser.

3500 is a Class 3R laser...better distance and better inclement atmospheric conditions performance. Also offers Apple Watch connectivity.

mthayr

WKR
I went to EHR for archery. It adjusts for angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@Tony Trietch Do you know if Leica continues to use the loaded ballistic profile when in EHR mode? Just wondering if it defaults back to straight EHR or if its influenced by a ballistic profile of a firearm when actually using it with a bow. Not even sure if it would matter at bow ranges, but I'm curious.

FWIW, if it does, and you can get access to two chronographs, you could set one at the bow and one at 50yds and use the app to create a second custom curve for your bow (the app has a calculate coefficient feature).