Leica... shame shame. Defective Geovid Pro.

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately for Leica this unit was sent to an active member of a popular hunting forum. They very easily could have been sent to some poor schmuk who would either live with it or exchange them and we would never hear about it. Making it right is what matters, and it sounds like that is being done.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall when the replacement arrives. FBI- Fevered Binocular Inspector 😂

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
I’m more than happy with the current CS.

What I still don’t understand is the
take … “this happens in shipping sometimes”.

Does that mean everyone with good clean optics also run this risk when bouncing their own gear around?

Just curious. As I’ve never had an optic that went from clean view to a spec inside. I wouldn’t say I’m a gear abuser, but my stuff gets used.

Anywho, I’ll keep all posted as the new (and hopefully spec free) glass arrives.

Does that mean everyone with good clean optics also run this risk when bouncing their own gear around?

Just curious. As I’ve never had an optic that went from clean view to a spec inside. I wouldn’t say I’m a gear abuser, but my stuff gets used.

Anywho, I’ll keep all posted as the new (and hopefully spec free) glass arrives.

You don't understand how someone can build a binocular, have a spec of dust inside of it that isn't on a lens, and have that spec come loose during shipping?

Not every binocular will have dust particles in them, but some of them will. The binos have adhesive along the inside walls of the tube to keep the dust from coming loose, but some will anyway, and some will end up on a lens instead of back on an interior wall.

It's unlikely to happen to a binocular that's been carried around for a while, but not impossible.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
You don't understand how someone can build a binocular, have a spec of dust inside of it that isn't on a lens, and have that spec come loose during shipping?

@SomeJackassOnAForum..Correct.

After being built these binos need to hit a “shake chamber” for a few hours. Then reinspected before getting boxed up.

If they don’t, that’s a QC failure. Shipping shouldn’t be the way a company figures out if there is crap to come lose in the tubes. The end user shouldn’t be the QC stop for “something shook loose”.

These aren’t $300 binos

Or $1300

Or $2300

For 30 bills I expect more. Simple as that. Not saying I’ll get it, but I expect it.

@SomeJackassOnAForum..Correct.

After being built these binos need to hit a “shake chamber” for a few hours. Then reinspected before getting boxed up.

If they don’t, that’s a QC failure. Shipping shouldn’t be the way a company figures out if there is crap to come lose in the tubes. The end user shouldn’t be the QC stop for “something shook loose”.

These aren’t $300 binos

Or $1300

Or $2300

For 30 bills I expect more. Simple as that. Not saying I’ll get it, but I expect it.

A shake chamber? The original post makes a lot of sense.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I needed some cleaning\work done on the Ultravid HD+'s I bought second hand this past year and they knocked it out in the approximate time they gave and it was zero dollars (other than shipping it in) no questions asked. Came back like new.

It would be a bummer if it came like that out of the box. If I paid full price (to be fair to the seller mine came pristine) I'd expect prompt service to get them replaced straight away but they've exceeded my expectations customer service wise so far and the glass is big step up from what I was using before.

arock

Lil-Rokslider

I knocked mine around a bunch in NM and AZ this year going over nasty terrain and getting excited. 100% why I needed to send them in. Not like I dropped them off a cliff but stumbled into a few boulders, fell kinda weird climbing through a barbed wire fence and got super excited and may have whacked them into a tree next to me when turning to pick up my bow... Either way - they came clear and then had a little speck inside a lens by the time the season was over. Usable but annoying. Mailed in, cleaned up, clear as could be now.

Weldor

WKR
Hey it happens, and it sucks. GM is buying back Their Duramax diesels because of a faulty fuel rail. Go figure. Apparenty there is no fix. Good part is Leica can!

Literally everyone (and every company that makes a product) makes mistakes from time to time. It's a bummer, but it happens. It's how you deal with the mistake that matters and IMO both Doug and Leica seem to have handled it very well from what I can tell.

You on the other hand... jeez what a drama queen.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
Literally everyone (and every company that makes a product) makes mistakes from time to time. It's a bummer, but it happens. It's how you deal with the mistake that matters and IMO both Doug and Leica seem to have handled it very well from what I can tell.

You on the other hand... jeez what a drama queen.

Yep it pays to pay the right guy. In this case Doug.

All indications point towards me having a tracking number tomorrow. That’s a 5 day turn around from oops-binos into CS to new binos out to me. Pretty satisfied with that.

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
Yep it pays to pay the right guy. In this case Doug.

All indications point towards me having a tracking number tomorrow. That’s a 5 day turn around from oops-binos into CS to new binos out to me. Pretty satisfied with that.
At least the quarks have been figured out by other users to some extent so you can start using them right away. I’m interested to see if you find quarks others haven’t identified yet as I’m sure you will go over them with a fine tooth comb.