Leica... shame shame. Defective Geovid Pro.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
It's always disappointing when this happens as you've been waiting and put down a lot of your hard-earned money for it.

This has happened to quite a few optics I've owned. It started with Vortex bino, then a Maven HD 12x50 I got from Doug who corrected it right way, all the way to a Swarovski 85mm objective and a Zeiss 10x42 RF. Like others have said, this happens in shipping, there is absolutely no way to avoid this for the consumer. This is not a QC issue. My only advice for you is to ask your retailer to check your glass before it is shipped if any artifacts are apparent in the glass from shipping.
Thanks. This helps reduce my disappointment

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Let us know how much you end up being inconvenienced - after you have a bit of time to think more about it. And if they do you right, maybe there isn’t shame for Leica?

prm

WKR
I have to say that having higher expectations for $3k binos seems reasonable. I’d be upset too. Glad to see it was handled well. Doug has helped me with issues before as well. Buy from a good source!

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
I have to say that having higher expectations for $3k binos seems reasonable. I’d be upset too. Glad to see it was handled well. Doug has helped me with issues before as well. Buy from a good source!

Yes. Doug did it all. Leica rep on phone with me same day. UPS 2 day air label in my inbox. New unit shipped to me ASAP. He and Leica making it right. I can’t complain about the post “oh shit” service im getting.

AGPank

WKR
I’d understand this more if you reached out to Leica and they weren’t helping.

I get the frustration of it not being right the first time, it is expensive. Sounds like Leica and CameraLand are making it right as quick as they can.

I’ve own 5 pair of Leica binoculars now, one range finder, but owned 2 others and no issues with any so far.

I’ve read more positive than negative customer service reviews in recent years too.

Let us know the final results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
Wait I thought this stuff only happens to vortex. Just think if you’d have bought a new pair of razor UHDs at scheels and had a problem, you’d walk into scheels hand them the defective pair and they’d hand you back a new pair and be on your way.
And when you walked out you'd still be looking through Vortex glass. I'll live with a temporary dirt speck...

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Doug got it taken care of. As I knew he would. Which is why I bought from him.

Patience has nothing to do with it. The dust or glue or whatever showing up in my glass is why this post exists.

Bc when you offer top tier products at top tier prices, customers expect top tier QC and don’t want to have to use top tier CS.

Am I glad to have it? Yes. Did I want to use it? No. Not on brand spanking new stuff.

What brand do you think doesn't have issues? The first set of 15x56 Swaro SLC's I got I looked through and there was something wrong on the inside of one of the lens (can't recall if it was a fleck, hair, or scratch appearance anymore to be honest), I just exchanged them at the store. I'm not going to take possession of the faulty pair and deal with customer service (despite swaro customer service being solid), let the retailer deal with that. Stuff happens, I don't really blame swaro and I'm sure they took care of those binos, it just wasn't my problem to deal with when buying a brand new pair of binos imho. The pair I exchanged for have been great.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
What brand do you think doesn't have issues? The first set of 15x56 Swaro SLC's I got I looked through and there was something wrong on the inside of one of the lens (can't recall if it was a fleck, hair, or scratch appearance anymore to be honest), I just exchanged them at the store. I'm not going to take possession of the faulty pair and deal with customer service (despite swaro customer service being solid), let the retailer deal with that. Stuff happens, I don't really blame swaro and I'm sure they took care of those binos, it just wasn't my problem to deal with when buying a brand new pair of binos imho. The pair I exchanged for have been great.
I’ve bought thousands of dollars. Heck $10s of thousands at this point. And never had an issue from the box. In terms of crap in the glass. Guess I’ve been lucky. Didn’t know it was so common

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve bought thousands of dollars. Heck $10s of thousands at this point. And never had an issue from the box. In terms of crap in the glass. Guess I’ve been lucky. Didn’t know it was so common
There is a Kowa thread on here, same issue, it happens.

Axlrod

WKR
Last week I ordered 2 high dollar pieces of electronic gear (not Leica). One for me and one for a buddy. Both the same item, both didn't work right out of the box. First one I noticed immediately. The first thing I did was call the manufacturer and then the distributer. They sent an RA and overnighted a new item. My buddy noticed a different problem with his a couple days later. 2 calls, RA, overnighted new item. Both are working fine. It's not a problem to me if it is handled properly.

Q child

WKR
Hey OutdoorAG,
That sucks man. I'm a big Leica fan and if that happened to me I'd be a bit shaken up.
The only thing that can be done now is to fix it, so I'm glad that they're getting it resolved for you.
Let us know if Leica restores some confidence with the next pair.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
Hey OutdoorAG,
That sucks man. I'm a big Leica fan and if that happened to me I'd be a bit shaken up.
The only thing that can be done now is to fix it, so I'm glad that they're getting it resolved for you.
Let us know if Leica restores some confidence with the next pair.
Thanks. Appears all will be taken care of.

What I don’t understand…lots of folks saying this is common post shipping. I suppose bc of being rattled around.

What about when I rattle my own optics around? Riding in pack on ATV. Truck floor board. Travel.

Am I to expect that my own use could rattle something inside and leave a nice little surprise in the view??

Q child

WKR
Yeah. I don't really understand that either. I get that there are lemons out there, and that stuff happens, but that hasn't happened to me. I've carried a pair of binoculars with me everywhere for years. I have a pair sitting next to me in my office now, and my office doesn't have any windows. I don't think it is a common occurrence.

mi650

WKR
Thanks. Appears all will be taken care of.

What I don’t understand…lots of folks saying this is common post shipping. I suppose bc of being rattled around.

What about when I rattle my own optics around? Riding in pack on ATV. Truck floor board. Travel.

Am I to expect that my own use could rattle something inside and leave a nice little surprise in the view??
It's not that it's common, but it does happen to every company. When you ask a large group, you're going to find more problems. Simple math.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Don't think its common, just saying even the alpha companies can have it happen. When its brand new let the retailer handle it imho. :)

fatbacks

WKR
I had a brand new pair of Leica hdb 3000’s show up a few years back with a problem. Rangefinder kept freezing up.

Doug and Leica got me taken care of with a brand new pair asap.

It happens. That’s why I place value on buying from Doug. Another advocate for you should you pull the short straw and need warranty assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk