Leica spotter reviews? APO-Televid

OP
outward

outward

FNG
c4e843008ccf33d793ebf44d56ac5321.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input everyone. We're still looking for an accurate weight of the 82mm body + 25-50 eyepiece, but this weight of the 65mm version helps. Almost certainly, the 52oz weight Leica lists on their website for the 82mm with eyepiece is incorrect.

From fatbacks' photo, the 65mm + eyepiece, DIY caps, tripod plate = 57oz. I'd guess the plate and caps account for about 4oz so the 51.8oz published figure for the body+eyepiece makes sense. Again that's for the 65mm version.

Unfortunately the Leica website lists the same weight for the 82mm version, which can't be correct. I found a download of the 2019 Catalog that seems more believable. This would indicate the above 65mm version is 54.5oz and the 82mm version is 67.9oz.

Still looking for confirmation on weight and dimensions of the 82mm + 25-50X eyepiece if anyone has it handy. Thanks

Attachments

• 2019 catalog.jpg
    2019 catalog.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

kcormack

Lil-Rokslider
Here it is. Extra weight beyond the case attached is a "digiscopeadapter" and a QR plate for the tripod. Yeah kinda heavy but to me worth it.PA130064.JPGPA130065.JPG

OP
outward

outward

FNG
Here it is. Extra weight beyond the case attached is a "digiscopeadapter" and a QR plate for the tripod. Yeah kinda heavy but to me worth it.View attachment 126455View attachment 126456
You guys are great. Much appreciated. With the case, tripod plate and digidapter ring we're starting with 84.2 oz. Couple sources online say the case is 9 oz / 2 oz for plate (guessing) / 2 oz for digidapter ring = 13 extra ounces. So that makes 71 ounces. This is a rough number, but plenty to disprove Leica's website figure of 52 ounces.

Bottom line is I think this scope + eyepiece is somewhere in the 68-70 oz range. For all intents and purposes, that puts it in the same weight class as the Swaro ATX 85, Maven S.1 or Kowa TSN-883. I did ask Leica for an exact number and will report back here when/if I hear anything. Thanks again everyone.

kcormack

Lil-Rokslider
Length 15 3/4" lense cap to lense cap. You are referencing angled weights which are a touch lighter than straight body. I think your 2019 catalog weights are spot on. Leica color and contrast are what kept me a "Leica guy" for 30 years. They have proven to be very rugged as well.

OP
outward

outward

FNG
Question answered (y) Catlin at Leica emailed me back this morning and sent technical data sheets for the scope and eyepiece, saying the combined weight is 64.9 oz.

APO-Televid 82 W (angled) body only is 52.6 oz
25-50X Eyepiece is 12.3 oz
64.9 oz total weight

I'll throw my opinion in, although several guys have more experience with the Leica. I owned the previous model Leica APO 77 for a while and compared it to the Swaro spotters (new and old). The Leica simply has phenomenal color resolution.

I ultimately bought an almost new Swaro instead of Leica, even though the Leica was slightly cheaper to buy used. The Swaro has FAR better resale, and at some point, I may want to sell. Leicas have much lower resale (easy to confirm with eBay "sold items" search) and I think it has to do with their slow/poor warranty service.

For a long time Swaro had a lifetime warranty and Leica was 5 years (maybe 10?) and this no doubt reduced the resale value of Leica products. Plus, if you search here or on a bird watching forum you'll see plenty of happy Swaro warranty customers and far fewer good things from Leica warranty customers.

The deck has recently been shuffled because Swaro just quit their lifetime warranty and now has a 10 year warranty. So maybe the resale values will equal out in the next couple of years.

I bought a Leica Apo Televid 65 about 18 months ago. It's brilliant !I wanted a 'small' scope for when I'm on the move and I actually went out to buy a Swarovski 65mm. When I compared the two side by side it soon became evident that the Leica was the better scope - better made, better optics and a better all round quality product ( even the carry case is perfect ) However, the Leica was a few hundred pound dearer, if memory serves.

I run the 82mm and it is simply amazing. I had the 65mm and traded it for the 82 with another member on here. Someday I will probably buy another 65mm body and just switch out the eye pieces.

Leica has been making glass for over 100 years. They know what they are doing.

It really is a blonde vs brunette/ ford vs chevy debate. All the top tiers are great.

If anyone is in the market I am selling a brand new Leica Televid APO 65. Please send me a PM if you have any interest.

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
There are several reviews online, most are on bird websites.

Here are a few good comparison reviews on the Leica APO.

My experience with the Swarovski ATX 95mm and 65mm objectives I owned mimic what is said in the review posted above. While a very nice spotter, the colors were dull and less than impressive when compared to Leica and Meopta HD glass.

I owned a Meopta S2 HD spotter for 3 years prior to purchasing the Swaro ATX which I foolishly acquired before ever looking through one. After about a year of using the ATX with the same issues mentioned in the review where I thought the glass was dirty or out of focus when trying to pick up tiny details in darker backgrounds, I realized the glass just was not on par with my previous Meopta which utilizes flourite objective lenses in an APO configuration. Which is exactly what Leica uses in their spotters as well. The color contrast in the Meopta is just so much better than the Swarovski and you dont realize just how annoying chromatic aberration can be until you've looked through a high end APO configured scope like the Meopta or Leica then compared them to the Swarovski. The Swaro does not do well with chromatic aberration in some lighting conditions. This is what makes it seem like the glass is dirty or out of focus. You end up spending most of your time trying to figure out how to get a clear image which completely distracts you from searching for game. I totally agree with the review where they stated the Swaro would look amazing in many instances, but then seem like something is terribly wrong with the glass in other more difficult lighting situations. That is exactly what my experience was. In the end I sold my Swarovski ATX and went back to the Meopta S2 HD spotting scope. Couldnt be happier ;)

While hunting my entire life and using some of the very best optics money can buy in the field for many years, I can tell you that optics with the best color contrast and chromatic aberation control such as the Meopta HD and Leica will greatly increase your chances of locating hidden animals than a scope like the Swaro that just has good resolution. The Meopta and Leica will pretty much match the Swaro resolution in any perfect lighting conditions, but when looking into areas that have less than ideal lighting, such as dark timber patches or days with a hazy atmosphere, the Leica and Meopta will almost always come out on top because they perform "consistently" in all conditions. When all that's showing is the tips of antlers against a similar color background in a dark timber patch, the high color contrast of Leica and Meopta will make it stand out to your eyes much better than Swarovski.

Last edited:
Anyone ever compare the older silver model televid APO 77mm to the newer ones? Are they comparable or is the new models much better?

When

FNG
I actually bought a used 65 APO angled spotter from @Broomd on here several years ago. It is an insanely good spotter. I have had it beside several Swaro's and a Zeiss in the field. With the big three there is basically no difference in clarity - they are all awesome. The biggest difference in my opinion is field of view at all magnifications. It seems like what you see in the Zeiss is significantly bigger than both the Swaro's and the Zeiss - especially while zoomed all the way in.

Things I like:
-the 1.8x extender has been amazing when atmospheric conditions align. Saves me a ton of walking while sheep hunting
-Relatively light weight compared to others. I think Kowas are lighter though
-Field of view at all magnifications seems superior to all other scopes I've looked through.

Critiques:
-65mm gets pretty dark at twilight. I am pretty sure it is because of the smaller objective lens. I want to eventually get the 82mm body when weight will be less of an issue.
-Not as light as the Kowa scopes
-Aftermarket cases and accessories is more limited than other brands.

As far as service, I had a software issue with my Geovids this fall and they were extremely helpful and I had a new pair overnighted to me when the problem wasn't fixed. Routine service on spotters did take about 10 weeks several years back.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 126258
This is one of the most beautiful mtn wilderness photos I've seen. Stunning.

Extrapale

WKR
Anyone ever compare the older silver model televid APO 77mm to the newer ones? Are they comparable or is the new models much better?
I have on the 62mm vs 65mm. 65 is a little better. Has a better zoom eyepiece. Has the 1.8x magnifier.

The silver ones are still amazing in my opinion. Especially considering the a damn near a 20 year old design.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk