Leica Televid vs APO Televid?

swiftni

FNG
I'm looking to pick up a spotting scope, and I am looking at used Leica options. I found what I think is a good deal on a Leica Televid 62 with neoprene case and eye piece. The guy says it was reconditioned by Leica and like new.

Can someone tell me if there is a difference between APO Televid and Televid? Nothing on this scope or the box says APO. This is the older style silver/black spotter.

Any advice would be great!

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
APO has a flourite apochromatic lens that eliminates color fringing and they updated the lens coatings. The APO version will keep up with all but the best of today, the non-APO compares to mid tier these days. The eyepiece was also improved. The later eyepiece is the B20-60. The earlier is just marked 20-60.

The APO 62mm model is marked on the end of the lens shade around the front lens APO-Televid 62. It will also have APO marked on the back of the focus knob housing just in front of the eyepiece mount. If it doesn't have APO there, its the older non-APO model. The 77mm is marked on the side.

I would hold out for the APO version unless you get a smoking deal on the non-APO. I have a 77mm APO and it is a solid scope even though it is 20 years old.

If you can get the 32X fixed eyepiece with it, that is the sweetest eyepiece. Extremely easy to look through and sharp.

Jeremy

Last edited:
OP
swiftni

swiftni

FNG
APO has a flourite apochromatic lens that eliminates color fringing and they updated the lens coatings. The APO version will keep up with all but the best of today, the non-APO compares to mid tier these days. The eyepiece was also improved. The later eyepiece is the B20-60. The earlier is just marked 20-60.

The APO 62mm model is marked on the end of the lens shade around the front lens APO-Televid 62. It will also have APO marked on the back of the focus knob housing just in front of the eyepiece mount. If it doesn't have APO there, its the older non-APO model. The 77mm is marked on the side.

I would hold out for the APO version unless you get a smoking deal on the non-APO. I have a 77mm APO and it is a solid scope even though it is 20 years old.

If you can get the 32X fixed eyepiece with it, that is the sweetest eyepiece. Extremely easy to look through and sharp.

Jeremy
What would you consider a screaming deal on the non-APO?

my current options are a Razor, Leupold SX-4, or the Leica

Wapiti1

WKR
$500 or so. The APO version goes for around $1000 or a little more. I think the Leupold or Vortex are better than the non-APO Leica. I think you'll get better color and sharpness out of them due to newer coatings and HD elements. I don't think there are non-HD SX-4's or Razor's, but check that out before you buy. That said, I have not used either of those, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. My 60mm size scope is a Kowa 664.

That Leica is a 30 year old scope. It's very well made and was top notch at the time, but 30 years of progress put it in a lower tier.

Jeremy

OP
swiftni

swiftni

FNG
$500 or so. The APO version goes for around $1000 or a little more. I think the Leupold or Vortex are better than the non-APO Leica. I think you'll get better color and sharpness out of them due to newer coatings and HD elements. I don't think there are non-HD SX-4's or Razor's, but check that out before you buy. That said, I have not used either of those, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. My 60mm size scope is a Kowa 664.

That Leica is a 30 year old scope. It's very well made and was top notch at the time, but 30 years of progress put it in a lower tier.

Jeremy
Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep an eye out for an APO or maybe just go with a modern mid tier scope.

Broomd

WKR
Spot-on observations here. I've had about 25 Leica 62's in all incarnations over the last 15 years. I've used them, sold them to buds, given them to family, etc.

The only caveat with the earlier 62's is the dual focus wheel. The 'fast' focus wheel *specifically* can get 'frozen shoulder' syndrome I call it. After years of little, to no use, they can get very stiff and if forced they 'let go' completely and just freely spin with no adjustment. That then requires Leica to service, and frankly they are doing less and less repair on these vintage scopes.

If you get one like that, take the time to gently work it back and forth, do not lubricate it! Ask me how I know, grin. If it feels stiff, simply avoid using the fast function wheel altogether. Use the 'slow' wheel.

The 62 APO is one of the best optics ever made and worth every penny. The 32x e/p suggestion is spot on as well. I'd forego the heavy, poor FOV zoom for that super light e/p right from the start.
Look for the 40X, that will be 32x in the 62mm, 40x in the 77mm.
The 26x is also great. It's 32x in the 77mm.

OP
swiftni

swiftni

FNG
Spot-on observations here. I've had about 25 Leica 62's in all incarnations over the last 15 years. I've used them, sold them to buds, given them to family, etc.

The only caveat with the earlier 62's is the dual focus wheel. The 'fast' focus wheel *specifically* can get 'frozen shoulder' syndrome I call it. After years of little, to no use, they can get very stiff and if forced they 'let go' completely and just freely spin with no adjustment. That then requires Leica to service, and frankly they are doing less and less repair on these vintage scopes.

If you get one like that, take the time to gently work it back and forth, do not lubricate it! Ask me how I know, grin. If it feels stiff, simply avoid using the fast function wheel altogether. Use the 'slow' wheel.

The 62 APO is one of the best optics ever made and worth every penny. The 32x e/p suggestion is spot on as well. I'd forego the heavy, poor FOV zoom for that super light e/p right from the start.
Look for the 40X, that will be 32x in the 62mm, 40x in the 77mm.
The 26x is also great. It's 32x in the 77mm.
Awesome. Appreciate the insight. The original recommendation I received was for the APO and I see why now!
I’ll have to just keep my eyes open. If you decide to sell one of your many APOs, give me a shout!