Leica Trinovid HD bino stud

I have the newer set of Leica Trinovid HD in 10x42, I am wanting a system to mount them to my tripod. I had read or saw pictures somewhere of someone with same model bino using an Outdoorsmans stud for the newer Ultravid and said it worked just fine with the three set screws on the side. I contacted Outdoorsmans and asked if this system would work, they advised it would NOT. I am not real excited about the idea of running the Leica bino tripod adapter, outdoorsmans 42mm ring adapter or the bino hand. Can anyone confirm any other options or possibilities for the newest gen Leica Trinovid HD. All help is greatly appreciated.

The Leica Made in Portugal cover does pop off. It exposed a large flat head knob or screw head which un threads. This leaves some odd ball female threads exposed. Not even Leica could tell me the thread size. I tried one 1/4-20 adaptor I found through McMaster Carr and it did not work. Then I gave up and used a cheap Leupold bino strap.
Let’s face it Leica does not want us using anything other than a strap to attach their binos to a tripod.

Bummer. My duovids thankfully work with the outdoorsmans system. I will say that the Leica bino strap is well made and easy to use. Slight weight and bulk penalty but not a dealbreaker IMO

I have the same binoculars and the same problem. Talked to outdoorsman as well and got the same response. When you take the cap off there are threads, but he said they are to small to properly secure their adapter and had no plans on making anything in the future. For now I am using the swaro universal, and it's not ideal. I also thought about attempting to fabricate something that one of the existing outdoorsman studs will fit, if I come up with anything reliable/practical I will let you know. If that doesn't work, I might sell and pick up some SLCs, the lack of good adapter options is a pain for sure. I would bet if they made the Trinovids compatible with the better systems on the market, Leica would sale more binoculars.

Mosby

WKR
This was a big reason why I didn't buy another pair of Leica's recently. Another example of people that design products but don't fully understand how they are going to be used.

junior

WKR
Even though Outdoorsmans doesn’t list specifically that it would work, I got my Trinovid (non HD’s) to work with their ultravid adapter. What does yours look like after you have the hinge caps off? Mine had a rubber cap that was easy to get off, then a harder plastic one that took a little more effort. Once it was off I saw that as long as the adapter was close in size it would fit around my hinge housing. It’s hard to visualize without the stuff in front of you, which is why I had a series of returns and exchanges from the bono hand to adapters ect. Sucks to have to order and return and reorder but it was well worth it if you can find an adapter system that works rather than the bingo hand or plate and strap style for your Leicas. Outdoorsmans was awesome with the whole process. I’ll attach some photos with what mine looked like after and before.

bd0ac35f8d14bbcad9955c62369756ef.jpg
835a240615c7eba12b06f48c356daa75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wentright

FNG
I have a pair of Trinovid Hd 10x42 and the Outdoorsman stud for the Ultravid works for it

I have a pair of Trinovid Hd 10x42 and the Outdoorsman stud for the Ultravid works for it
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm trying to get a Outdoorsman's Stud for my Trinovid HD's. Outdoorsman's have said that they have heard the Ultravid stud will work, but they won't pass on anymore information than that. Can you send me a message (I can't message you), or post a few photos on here of your bino's with the stud on? You're the first person I've been able to speak to who has actually done it, and not just heard of it being done.
Thanks.

I too am looking at pair of these and the ability to mount on a tripod with a stud is a make or break thing. Any chance you could could post some pics of your Binos with the stud on and what it looks like underneath the stud? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
I too am looking at pair of these and the ability to mount on a tripod with a stud is a make or break thing. Any chance you could could post some pics of your Binos with the stud on and what it looks like underneath the stud? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Just to chime in...I followed this thread and ordered the ultravid stud and it worked as advertised on my 10x42 trinovids. I don't have any pics but it's the same as the previous posted pics in this thread

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Just to chime in...I followed this thread and ordered the ultravid stud and it worked as advertised on my 10x42 trinovids. I don't have any pics but it's the same as the previous posted pics in this thread

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk
What model number are your Trinovids?

wentright

FNG
Mine are the newer hd model I used a flat screwdriver to pop the plastic cover off the front. You put the screwdriver on the plastic piece and just use your palm to pop it off.

Attachments

• 714402F6-B0A3-49BB-AB0E-58799E562BC1.jpeg
    714402F6-B0A3-49BB-AB0E-58799E562BC1.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 41
Thanks for the reply Wentright. For info for everyone else, on my Leica Trinovid HD's, I popped the plastic cover off of the front of the hinge and measured the diameter. Outdoosrman's measured the inside diameter of their Leica studs for me and the Ultravid stud came in at the right size (3/4" or 19mm). I've ordered one so when it arrives, I'll take a photo and post up of it (hopefully) fitting perfectly. Hopefully after this if it works, Outdoorsman's can update their website to say the Ultravid stud also fits Leica Trinovid HD's.

tommynealy

Lil-Rokslider
Following... I’m interested in the outdoorsmans stud also. Emailed them and never got a response.

Hey All,
Well the Outdoorsman Ultravid Binocular Adapter for my Leica Trinovid HD 10x42's arrived. See the photos but it fits well and works great. When I first fitted it to my bino's, I thought there had been a stuff up as it wasn't the snug fit I expected. But all this play was removed once I tightened down the three screws to secure it to the bino's. Now Outdoorsman's needs to update their website so owners of Trinovid's don't need to guess what adapter fits.

Attachments

• IMG_3399.jpeg
    IMG_3399.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3400.jpeg
    IMG_3400.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 33

tommynealy

Lil-Rokslider
I just got an ultravid stud for my trinovid hd also and it fits fine.

kpk

WKR
I use the BOG binocular rest on my non-HD trinovids. I've been happy with it.

Just installed the Outdoorsmans Ultravid Bino Stud on a new pair of Leica Trinovid HD’s today. Thought I‘d post some detailed pictures to show what the process was.

As others have stated, you have to remove the plastic cap from the front hinge. Here’s the plastic cap - came off easily with a flathead screwdriver and was undamaged. They do apply some type of glue/adhesive, but again, super easy to remove:

C8EDD211-FD45-4AE3-BD7D-068B18F61C92.jpeg

Removing the plastic cap reveals the post that has a machined flathead/coin slot. There is no threading for a bino stud on the Trinovid HD’s:

D0A340B9-D825-4459-BD3F-4E005892BB23.jpeg

The hinge post measured .750” on both my calipers and micrometer:

7AF7B2D0-9874-4D26-9806-019D35D3F0DF.jpeg

From there, the Outdoorsmans Bino Stud can be slipped over the hinge post and the three (3) hexhead set screws (1/16”) can be snugged on. There’s a bit of play (~.200”) until you tighten the set screws, but it does snug up nicely. You’ll have to rotate the Outdoorsmans Stud so you get it into a position where all three set screws can be tightened without obstruction.

Here are the finished pics with the Outdoorsmans Ultravid Stud installed on a new pair of Leica Trinovid HD’s, so I can say that it definitely works:

EF0F5E7A-1499-47F3-8743-1B211327E6DF.jpeg

36B8E346-81EC-4CAD-8860-629ED30E277B.jpeg

306D7EB3-AE14-4EA4-A677-762958670B87.jpeg

1307CF13-FC98-4E7E-8620-DD77230799C3.jpeg

84D99F9D-F060-430C-945B-55F55A0FA236.jpeg

I did apply a tiny drop of Blue Loctite to each set screw with a toothpick (a tiny drop) to ensure that they stay tight. Good luck!

Last edited: