Leica ultravid hd 8x42 vs swavorski EL 8.5x42

Anybody have any real world experience with both??

Both are top of the line
I'm just trying to figure out which is better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I tested the 10s. Splitting hairs optically IMO--I'd assume it is the same with the 8s. Go with the one you like the feel of best, you are going to be good no matter your choice.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Here is my quick opinion, I've owned both.

Both are worth every Penny. I choose Swarovski because I like the yellow(warm)coating over the blueish color Leica uses.

I find the Leica's brighter in most situations. But in low light conditions, the Swarovski's are brighter to me.

I also prefer the ergonomics on the Swarovski's

These are my opinions and would strongly suggest you get both sets and take them to the woods and test for yourself.

I personally would take the SLCs over the two listed.

Last edited:

jherald

WKR
Anybody have any real world experience with both??

Both are top of the line
I'm just trying to figure out which is better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might try to check out a pair of the older Leica Trinovids. You would be pretty impressed by what you see. You can occasionally find a new set for less than a grand. There's still a decent number of them floating around at dealers, or a certified used set.

Not meaning to hijack the thread from TH5... I have been thinking of upgrading my Meostar HD's to Leica Ultravid HD's. Seems that if folks are putting it on par (or close) to EL's, is it safe to assume it would indeed be an decent upgrade from the Meostar's? I looked through a pair at Cabelas bargain cabe the other day and really like the feel in the hand. Didnt have time to take them outside but my time that I did handle them I was pretty impressed.

Beendare

WKR
I've compared the Swaros EL side by side with the SLC...and prefer the SLC. They are both as crisp optically but the SLC gives you a little more of a 3d image that helps us as hunters pick stuff up [if that makes sense...as someone above put it, 'splitting hairs']

Then comparing the Ultravid HD to the SLC....I like the Ultravid better as they are a tad brighter and even more of that 3D view. [and i own the SLC's]