Leica ultravid hd+ vs swarovski slc hd

Mike24mo

FNG
I am in the market to upgrade my optics very soon and wanted to get some opinions. Looking around, I found a pair of Leica ultravid hd+ 12x50 for $1400 at a bass pro outlet store. I can also get a new pair of swarovski slc hd10x42 for $1450.
I know at this level of optics its a matter of personal preference. And after looking at both pairs I would be happy with either. I was hoping to get opinions when comparing these optics at these price points.

OP
M

Mike24mo

FNG
Do you plan on using a tripod? If so, the 12x50 Leica is more deeply discounted so I would lean that way.
For most of my huntin I will not be using a tripod. Holding the 12x50s is a concern to me. I have not had that much experience using 12x binoculars so I dont know how steady I will be with them.

I like 8x binos best but use 10x a fair amount because I have a nice pair of 10x. Really you cant go wrong with the 10x SLC.

Even offhand you could probably get more and more detail going up until about 20x, but it might be nauseating. Really I hate to think of it.

AGPank

WKR
That’s a great price on the 12x50 Leicas. They are a very compact 12 and comfortable off hand. I have a pair, but also have others and don’t use them as my primary binos. My primary elk hunting is thick brush and timber, but if I was more open country I don’t think I would hesitate to carry 12’s.

Outdoorsman has an adapter that fits it pretty easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
I think it comes down to use. 12's get into long sits with a tripod land, and 10's are more general use, IMO.

There is a decent different in size and weight between the two. Again, intended use is the deciding factor. I don't carry my 12X50's unless I have a reason to. They are heavy and large.

Not knowing your purpose, I'd say go with the 10's unless you are looking for higher power bins specifically.

Jeremy

I am in the same boat either looking to get the Leica Ultravid 12x50s or Swaro SLC 10s. My use is primarly high country mule deer hunting and I always use a tripod. These would be my primary binos so carrying on chest as well. The only reason I'm leaning toward slc's is they are cheaper and I could always add a good spotter. I also like the fact they are steadier to hand hold.

Firehawk

WKR
I struggled holding a 10x off hand, although I thought they were great on a tripod. But I then had a 8-12 x 42 Leica Duovid and it was great. I could handhold at 8x, and then change the power to 12x and use my trekking pole (eventually a tripod) to help steady. Worked well. But I sure couldn't hold the 12x steady enough when I wasn't on a tripod or similar.

My main bino now is a 9x Maven. It has the max amount of power I can hold without a tripod, but I am always amazed when I put it on a tripod how much better it is. I love glassing from a tripod now. Just wish that they made one that weighed notihing, but was rock steady and didn't cost an arm or leg or both.

For me, in your situation, I would get the 10x Swaro (or even better an 8x Swaro) unless I planned to spend alot of time on a tripod.

Last edited: