Less known bullet manufacturers

My Bighorn Origin action and Carbon Six 6.5 SST barrel should be here in the next few weeks. I have brass some powder and a lot of primers. But 6.5 lead is pretty hard to find. I did backorder a box of Hornady Eldx through Optics Planet though which is a few months out.

Obviously the whole industry has been crazy the past year. Especially the last few months!

I did some Duck Duck Going and have found some projectiles though from the smaller bullet manufacturers. Cutting Edge, Hammer and Patriot Valley. Cutting Edge didn't have much in stock but the others did.

Are there any other less known brands I should look at?

Any reviews of said brands?

I just need something for deer inside 5-600 (probably more like 450) and practice.

I have had a lot of luck with Barnes bullets so I'm not too worried about going to copper. The price sucks but it is what it is (frickin hate that phrase!).

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Haven't used them for anything long range, but Peregrine and Woodleigh are held in high esteem in Africa. I watched a 400 grain slow moving soft point from Woodleigh go basically end to end on a cape buffalo. It was recovered under the hide and looked like a fricking catalog photo of a mushroomed bullet.

Wapiti1

WKR
GS Custom
Badlands Precision
Maker
Peregrine
JLK
Hawk
Lehigh
Warner

I'm sure there are at least two more VLD makers out there that I'm forgetting.

Jeremy

Last edited:

MThuntr

WKR
Hammer Bullets are 100% good to go, I'm also going to try out some Badlands Bulldozer 2's this spring.
I'm looking at trying some of the Badlands bullets too. I'm not going to abandon my Hammer Bullets but really want to give them a try.

I've used Lehigh Defense bronze bullets (Knight Bloodline) in my muzzleloader. I couldn't get them to hit the same place twice until I switched to the Harvester black sabot

OP
TradLife406
How fast are you pushing them and how far will you shoot?
The Sherman site says about 31-3200 from this Short Tactical for a 140 gr.
Yeah yeah probably could have gone to a more standard cartridge but I already handload and it's not like anyone is buying factory ammo right now anyways lol.

My newbie skills would be more than happy if I can wack a deer at 500. But here the wind is usually blowing 25 mph so even three hundo. can be a poke for a newbie.

OP
TradLife406
Give Steve a call at Hammer. Last I talked to him he told me he was in good shape with 6.5 bullets. Especially the 124 grain Hammer Hunters.
I think I'll go that route especially since they're a Montana company. They've also got some bullets they made for a 1-7.5 twist which I got (probably could have gone 1-7 but newbie AF).

archp625

WKR
I think I'll go that route especially since they're a Montana company. They've also got some bullets they made for a 1-7.5 twist which I got (probably could have gone 1-7 but newbie AF).

Give him a call. He will talk as little or as long as you want. He will recommend a bullet based on wants and needs.

finner

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome thanks!

I've ordered 5-600 bullets from Steve in the last few months and every package has gotten to me in a couple days tops. He's also always picked up the phone for load recommendations and advice. Not sure I'll order from anyone else as long as he's in business, given the service and how well his stuff shoots.

7wssm

FNG
Loaded some Cutting edge, they shot well. .25 inch groups out of a factory tikka 6.5 creed Hornady brass

archp625

WKR
I've ordered 5-600 bullets from Steve in the last few months and every package has gotten to me in a couple days tops. He's also always picked up the phone for load recommendations and advice. Not sure I'll order from anyone else as long as he's in business, given the service and how well his stuff shoots.
I got the same service as you. Shipping super fast and Steve is a very nice guy. Very knowledgeable.

He’s headed to Africa this coming week so better order now if going with Hammers which are the only way in my mind. They flat out shoot and perform excellent on game with some of the simplest load workup you can do.

No kills yet but the Badlands BD2 205s are looking good, I recovered one from the soil at 1000 yards and expansion was beautiful.
I ordered some 125 6.5s to try in my saum.

MattB

WKR
I am not much of a reloader or gun hunter, but I got some 70 gr. Hammer bullets for a soft shooting load for my daughter's .243. The bullets were super easy to load for, all the loads I tried shot really well and it performed great on a 160# pig she killed.

On top of that, Steve was incredibly helpful with his advice - the kind of business person I feel good about supporting.

khuber84

WKR
No kills yet but the Badlands BD2 205s are looking good, I recovered one from the soil at 1000 yards and expansion was beautiful.
I ordered some 125 6.5s to try in my saum.
What twist your running the 205 with? I have a few hundred 195s and 125s. My 300 norma improved is a 9tw, I'd love the extra bc of the 205, but unsure on stability.