Less muzzle “flip” with heavier bullet?

brsnow

WKR
Noticed on two riffles, 7mm-08 and .308, when shooting lighter 120 & 130 ttsx factory, the recoil/flip seems more violent for lack of a better term. 168ttsx for the .308 seems more tame. Anyone else experience this ?

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
You could just be feeling a difference in barrel harmonics with the different bullet weights. You can have a barrel in a scatter node and the recoil can seem violent. Do a little tuning with the same bullet, get it in the sweet spot and recoil can be dramatically smoother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuckSnort

WKR
You could just be feeling a difference in barrel harmonics with the different bullet weights. You can have a barrel in a scatter node and the recoil can seem violent. Do a little tuning with the same bullet, get it in the sweet spot and recoil can be dramatically smoother

Are you serious ?

bsnedeker

WKR
Assuming you aren't going light on powder in the heavy load, and heavy on powder in the light load, heavier bullets equal heavier recoil...this is physics, no working around it. It may feel different, but it is certainly not less.

Also there is a difference in recoil between powders (slow burning with heavies vs. faster burning with lighter bullets). There’s not a lot of difference in the 7mm-08 case size, but there is some. I can definitely feel the difference in my ultra light rifles.

BuckSnort

WKR
Absolutely. I've experienced this many times. Not sure where you're coming from in this comment

I don't now man, I'm having a hard time believing someone could tell the recoil difference between tenths to half grains of powder...

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
I don't care whether you believe it or not. Like i said, I've experienced it many times. It will be most noticeable in small profile barrels. Powder charge and seating depth can both effect it.

My wife has a pretty short barreled 6.5 cm. The lighter American whitetail bullets (129g I think) have more muzzle flip than the 147gr elds. Recoil feels about the same but the lighter ones are more “jumpy” especially to her. She prefers to shoot the heavier ones.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Guys....

You’re not feeling the difference in “barrel harmonics” or anything else weird.

There are generally two main things at work, in order of importance.

1). Ft-lbs recoil energy. Which is the total force of recoil. Heavier bullets in the same cartridge, loaded to the same levels will always have more recoil energy.

2). Recoil velocity. How fast the recoil is moving back. Aka- “snappy”. Generally, lighter bullets will have more recoil velocity, less energy.

Different powder burn rates will affect both of the above. Faster powders (generally lighter bullets) can feel more snappy due to higher recoil velocity, but will have less total recoil energy. Slower powders (generally heavier bullets) will have more total energy, but can feel more like a shove or push versus lighter.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Guys....

You’re not feeling the difference in “barrel harmonics” or anything else weird.

There are generally two main things at work, in order of importance.

1). Ft-lbs recoil energy. Which is the total force of recoil. Heavier bullets in the same cartridge, loaded to the same levels will always have more recoil energy.

2). Recoil velocity. How fast the recoil is moving back. Aka- “snappy”. Generally, lighter bullets will have more recoil velocity, less energy.

Different powder burn rates will affect both of the above. Faster powders (generally lighter bullets) can feel more snappy due to higher recoil velocity, but will have less total recoil energy. Slower powders (generally heavier bullets) will have more total energy, but can feel more like a shove or push versus lighter.

Not gonna disagree with your basic assessment of different forces that cause/change recoil levels. But for you to say that harmonics don't play a part, well you're dead wrong.
I've experienced it and tuned it out too many times to ignore it as non existent. Like i said earlier, it's more pronounced in light, whippy barrels especially ones without a muzzle brake.

I had a non braked .338 win pushing 250 Elite Hunters recently that I experienced this with. In a scatter node it felt like you were holding on to a truck leaf spring and somebody was hitting it with a hammer. As i slowly worked the charge up and out of that spot, it smoothed right out when i got it in the sweet spot. It was just a stiff, smooth recoil at that point but not a violent twang.