Lesson Learned - TSA & Gun Cases

willidru

WKR
Just an FYI to anyone who doesn't frequently travel with firearms. I had a sporting clay shoot in Reno last week and decided to fly instead of drive. After checking my bag and firearm I was called back from my gate to talk to TSA. They told me that my gun case although it was hard sided and had 2 pad locks could not travel, as it didn't meet their security requirements. I have traveled with this gun and case half a dozen times before without issue.

They said the firearm under TSA guidelines was accessible. I disagreed stating that they could not access and asked him to show me that he cold remove it. He said he could, but refused to prove it. I called for a manager who echoed the same that he could easily access the firearm. Again, I asked him to show me and remove the firearm and he refused. Needless to say I didn't win the argument. Thanks to Alaska air who happens to sell gun cases at the airport, I was able to purchase a gun case (ridiculously large one) for $97 and make my flight (barely).

This is more of an FYI so hopefully nobody else has to deal with this issue. Here are a couple photos of the "non-compliant" case.
SV10 1.jpgSV10 2.jpgSV10 3.jpgSV10 4.jpg

Good point. Yep, the TSA requires the use of TSA approved firearms cases; so the cases of the past, and plenty of basic cases of today, just don't cut it for travel.

i do not think there is a larger collection of idiots on this planet than those employed by TSA...

This.

You could have just put your Beretta in a Browning case. Passive security.......nobody would have even bothered then......lol. I used to shoot sporting clays when I lived in illinois...good times.

Daniel_M

WKR
I'll have to echo that the TSA is simply a funded nazi communist program. Their intentions may be honest but how they treat passengers is pretty piss poor. That said, my partner got a pretty ugly letter form them on our trip back from Kodiak. We had a decent delay in air taxi arrival and minimal re-pack time before getting off the ground. In the midst of that a can of iso-butane and gun oil were left in our gear. I was maybe 10 feet from the agent and saw his finding, even conversed with the man and explained fault and that we didn't need them and he could toss them in the trash. Oh no, it was against regulation to toss any item found which is bogus because I seem people being allowed to toss items on a regular basis. He claimed a full investigation would be launched. The letter even threatened a ban on future travel on Alaska Air flights.

That said, I try not to give them an inch to complain with. Catch the right guy riding a power trip and he can be a real jerk.

a couple years ago when flying I pulled my drivers license out of my wallet for the TSA agent to see. at that time he saw my CCW permit which i carried behind my license. So super wannabe super cop now with the knowledge that I have a CCW, keep in mind I had no weapon, ammo, magazines ...anything with me checked or otherwise...goes into "save the world" mode. I had to go through the entire extended pat down, wand down, super xray and interview....becasue he saw my permit.

It was incredibly ridiculous......

Dameon

WKR
Yep. I went through this garbage last year when I flew out of Salt Lake back to St. Louis. I didn't have any problems with TSA here in St. Louis, but the TSA in Salt Lake ransacked all my gear, swabbed everything down, and tried to reject my pistol case for being accessible. Luckily I had another lock in my pack and cinched the case down tight and he let me go after I crammed everything back into my pack and duffel. Next time I travel with firearms, I will only be using SKB cases like everyone else I saw zipping through security.

colonel00

WKR
To be honest, I can see their point of concern with that case. Not arguing right or wrong but I can see the concern. Two locks in the middle still allow it to open quite a bit on the ends.

That said, a little communication would go a long way in making things easier for everyone. On my last flight from home out here to California, there was a TSA lady telling everyone that they had to pull everything but clothes out of their carryons. This included electronics, snacks, books and whatever. At the KC airport, Alaska Airlines has it's own gate with it's own security checkpoint (we have a weird airport compared to most others). So, everyone for the flight was stuck in a super long line as everyone had to unpack. Once I got up there, I just chuckled (on the inside) and sent my stuff through. I had a backpack full of camera gear, and other electronics along with a Pelican case full of more camera stuff, a drone, batteries, and a ton more. The only thing I didn't have was clothes and I wasn't going to unpack that. It all went through just fine. Turns out, the TSA does have newer rules about books and other things that are hard for the scanners to see through but it's usually not enforced.

Another fun story I'll share... Last year in May on the way to Alaska for the packraft rondy, we had stayed up all night to catch a really early flight. Pretty groggy and probably still a bit tipsy at the airport, I checked my bags and headed to the gate. I think it was about halfway between KC and Seattle that I realized that I didn't declare my .44 that was in a duffel in a small hard sided case. I was sure I was going to have some serious explaining to do and possibly have a fine or worse to deal with. We land in Anchorage and I anxiously wait around the baggage claim. Out comes my bag and I open it to see if the gun is there and if I have one of those inspections slips. Gun is there and no slip. I got lucky on that one.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, it is frustrating as hell. I learned a long time ago to get approved locks and cases.

ANOTHER TSA stupid funny.............I was going through screening and when the stuff from my pockets go through the X-Ray, the agent asks me if it was mine and when I said yes, he pulls me aside and basically does everything except the body cavities. He shows me my wallet and asks me what it is for. I said, "what are you talking about?" He points to my badge and asks me what it is for. I said, "well look at it......it is a retirement badge from where I used to work." He then tells me that he can't let me take it on the plane because it could be used for a "throwing star." I then say, "would you please go and get a real cop?" Some grizzled old sergeant comes over and I tell him the story and he looks at the agent, grabs my wallet to which he hands me, shakes his head and tells me to have a nice flight.

Randy

KClark

WKR
Yet another TSA stupid funnay at my expense. This past March going through the inspection line in Fairbanks I noticed the xray operator taking a long look at my carry on. After staring for awhile he called over another agent and lots of pointing and hand waving followed but I couldn't hear what they were saying. Soon two more arrived and there was more pointing and discussion but they finally all seemed to agree on a plan. One brought the bag to a table and waved me over and explained they were going to open my bag and search it, two did the deed two watched intensely. They opened it, reached in and grabbed the object they were interested in and laid it on the table. The 28ish year old agent looked very stern and asked "What is this?" I answered "It's a camping stove, a Jetboil". He looked at me and squinted a bit and said "What do you use it for?" I smirked and said "Making coffee". The other three started laughing and back slapping, one said to another "You were right it is a Jetboil". Another said "What model is it?", I replied "Flash", more laughing and hee hawing and one was congratulated as the winner. They said I could repack and be on my way.

hodgeman

WKR
Oddly enough- I've never had an issue with TSA when traveling with firearms. Now, flying with guns "pre TSA" was a genuine nightmare- every airline had a separate set of policies and every gate agent was pretty much on their own how they applied them.

One thing the TSA did was get all airlines using the same policy so there is at least a degree of predictability to it.

I have noticed that airports where lots of people fly with guns (Anchorage, Fairbanks) they have the whole thing down to a science....other places not so much.

There's been numerous internal investigations that prove TSA misses more than they catch. They are nearly pointless. I was attempting to look up different items on their website today to figure out if I could bring them on carry on luggage. The website says yes, and then goes on to say that every place is different and it's ultimately up to then agent at the gate. Great, so basically go and find out if it's allowed through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lesson Learned - TSA & Gun Cases

Here is just one of my TSA stories.

The first moose I ever killed, I found the 300 gr. .375 H&H mag. bullet lodged just under his skin, on the opposite side from where it entered. I cleaned it up, drilled a hole through the base, and attached it to my key chain where it has remained ever since. So..... one time while going through the TSA check, I was asked "what is this on your key chain"? When I told him that it was a spent bullet, he said that I would have to turn it over to TSA or I would not be allowed on the plane. Anyway, after a long ordeal, involving several TSA employees and a manager, I was finally allowed to pass through, and board the plane, with my little piece of lead and copper.

colonel00

WKR
Here is just one of my TSA stories.

The first moose I ever killed, I found the 300 gr. .375 H&H mag. bullet lodged just under his skin, on the opposite side from where it entered. I cleaned it up, drilled a hole through the base, and attached it to my key chain where it has remained ever since. So..... one time while going through the TSA check, I was asked "what is this on your key chain"? When I told him that it was a spent bullet, he said that I would have to turn it over to TSA or I would not be allowed on the plane. Anyway, after a long ordeal, involving several TSA employees and a manager, I was finally allowed to pass through, and board the plane, with my little piece of lead and copper.

Heh, I have a 300WM bullet on my keychain too. Never had an issue at all and I've flow over a hundred flights in the last few years.