"Let me just help you hunt somewhere else." Post your favorite excuse.

psp8ball

FNG
A recent post reminded me of one of the more amusing, if not frustrating aspects of elk hunting when running into fellow hunters afield. The guy who offers "advice," which always ends up in a recommendation you hunt somewhere else. It's especially rampant when a resident finds out you're a non resident.

My favorite, and the "go to" for people where I hunt are bears. I can't count the number of times my dad and I have been "warned" about all the bears. It's national forest in the Rocky Mountains, we get there are bears.

Please post the best "advice" you've ever been given by another hunter who was trying to convince you to hunt somewhere else.

rclouse79

WKR
We came across a guy and his girlfriend in unit 10 on an AZ cow elk hunt. They flagged us down and told us they were lost. After we showed them our map and where they were they told us where they had cut fresh elk tracks in the snow. They said they didn’t want to chase them because they were headed down in a hole. Sure enough we found the tracks right where they said and the herd ended up circling around right below the road. My buddy ended up shooting one. Sometimes you get good info when you help someone out. You have to be careful, because most advice is purposely misleading.

I ran into a fella one time that told me "If you're hunting for a doe elk, I just seen 3 of them cross the road" I asked him "you mean cows?" He looked at me like my hair was on fire and quite indignantly told me " I know what cows look like, and these were elk!" I just replied "Well thanks for the info"

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
I used to hunt a unit in northern New Mexico that is a favorite of locals to the unit. Even though I'm a native New Mexican, every local I ran into would say I should try hunting ____ Hill. I don't know if it was coordinated, but over the course of 5 years hunting that unit and hearing it from nearly every local I ran into in the woods, it sure felt like it.

npm352

WKR
NV pronghorn hunt...guy flags me down on my atv to tell me if I am looking for "just a 17 incher" I should go to this area 30 miles away...

Calbuck

WKR
"Did ya'll do any good?"
*Nah didn't see anything...(covered in blood)*

This ^^^ Hunting elk in Nevada, find a group hiking out where I was hoping to hike in. Ask if they ran into anything.."Nope, piss-poor." Little guy with them pipes up and hollers "We got a cow!" :LOL:
I notice one of the guys has his hands behind him but I see a little blood on his shirt..I ask about the injured guy and they know the jig is up!

Wrench

WKR
I ran into some guys from here (judging by the $$ on camo and the mtn ops hats on all of them) and was dead honest, I had a pisser of a bull right down there (pointing into the deepest hole in north Idaho) but I am not man enough to get him out if I killed him.

They laughed and went the other way.

I was serious as a heart attack....lol.

ShakeDown

WKR
This past year in NM as I get back to the truck with the last load, a truck drives up as I strap my brother’s rack down. I tell them there are at least 6 bulls still screaming at each other, 2 miles east in some pretty steep country.

They got in their truck and cruised down the road. Not sure if they didn’t believe me, or were just lazy.

His bull was down by 7:30am, and it was 2pm. They had been screaming all morning.

92A4A7B6-590E-495B-A6FF-771AE1FB9D11.jpeg

3darcher2

Lil-Rokslider
When asked if I have seen anything? I tell them No all I got was a few brush shots at moving brush.
My dad used to tell guys that were moving in on him he didn't see anything but he got a couple of sound shots.

"What's a sound shot?", they ask..

Dad, just as believable as can be, "Oh, I heard something moving over in that brush so I took a couple shots in there but nothing came out - must have been a squirrel."

Most guys just leave the way they came from.

Definitely guilty of lying out there, especially to road hunters. I didnt wake up early, hike, glass a bunch, and pre season scout to help out road hunters. I help family, little kids no problem.

I was told once by a guy that I was ruining his hunt because I walked passed him while he was tip toeing down the most well known and used trail in my area.