"Let me just help you hunt somewhere else." Post your favorite excuse.

Dlarsen

FNG
Had a guy tell me he never saw elk in one certain spot above this abandoned cabin in CO which I had planned on hunting the following morning. He was deer hunting, I was elk hunting but he said he'd been there many times elk hunting.
Chose not to listen to him and oddly enough we saw him getting out of his truck the next morning. Never did find out what he thought about our truck being at the trail head before him. But did have our closest encounter of the trip that morning.

Marble

WKR
im gonna be practicing saying this with a straight face for the next 7 months lmao
My uncle who is 73 and no longer hunts, but always goes to camp, if we have something organized, always has to talk to with everyone. But he tells them he only made some "sound shots". They say sound shots? Hes like, "Yeah! Just shooting listening to the sounds." They always leave after that.

Beendare

WKR
I talked to a guy while we were archery hunting in Nevada one year and he was hiking out of a spot we had back packed into.
He was extremely Ticked off. He had packed a tree stand into a spot about 5 miles in and when he got there to hunt it there was another guy sitting in the tree in his stand.

He explained to the guy that hey that’s my stand and the guy refused to get out of it. I think the law in Nevada is you can hunt that stand if you’re the first guy there....But it sure doesn’t seem right. If that was my stand I would have climbed the tree and cut the straps.

Felix40

WKR
I learned my lesson on my first elk hunt as a kid. While my dad was out of camp a guy stopped and asked if we had seen anything. I told him about a bull we were on that morning. When we went back to try the bull again, the same guy was there exactly where I told him we were hunting. Pretty low to steal a spot from a 14 year old.

Last season my group ran into a guy in the high country. We already had one animal down and told him we were planning to bear hunt a couple days. The guy almost got angry and kept telling us all the bears were down lower in orchards and stuff. It was funny because we had watched one over an hour that morning through the binos. I still am not sure if he was being genuine or just didnt want us bear hunting up there.

Dapper

FNG
Generally, I don't talk to other hunters. Always seems they tell you where they plan on hunting, and that's where you were headed, so now you're like the bad guy if you hunt there.

Once while leaving the road, had some residents drive up and tell me they just saw a nice six point moments earlier and told me the exact location (there is a distinct landmark there). However that spot was in the opposite direction from which they came.

In the u.p. of Michigan an old codger was being funny and told us of a strange smelly hairy creacher that lurkes the area cedar swamps to be warry of.......dum dum dum...its the big hairy......Squawsnatch! Lol that old geezer had us young fellas going for a minute.

Marble

WKR
I’m a newbie, but I generally get the impression that most hunters I run into are honest guys. Maybe they’re not telling you all the secrets (not should they), but I doubt most would lie outright. Or maybe I’m a sucker.
In real life, I'm very honest and ethical. But in the woods, there is no way I'm telling anyone shit about what I've seen or killed. I have been burned badly.

I won't even spot where people can watch or watch where I'm spotting. And if I see a herd or big buck and there is a crowd around I just stay quiet.

When asked, I'll give general advice, but I will not volunteer info on where to kill stuff.

I am really appreciating this thread. I am relatively new to hunting (only been hunting 4 years) so reading all of the comments really shows how cloak and dagger these hunts can be. I recently made the decision to hunt out of the state of Nevada. I found myself asking some people where to hunt and after awhile realized I was being stupid (again). I am in the process of just satellite scouting areas that look good on OnX Hunt Maps and will chose my own areas/spots. That way, I will learn on my own through trial and error, just like EVERY OTHER HUNTER out there who is worth his salt.

However, there are some folks that are super helpful and to a fully retarded degree. I did not draw a tag last year but a good friend of mine drew a late rifle Bull Elk tag. I was honored to help him and his group, but one of the guys was a bit too helpful. He finished up his rifle deer tag and had scouted the area already. While packing out his deer, he GUIDED another hunter (who had his own non-resident sob story) into a bull Elk and then helped him pack out. He got back to his house tired from packing out two animals.

When the hunt started for my good friend, the super helper guy in our group was tired and unprepared for my friend's hunt. He also was giving out info left and right and when it came time for my friend to get his chance (in a lifetime), it turned out there were a few less bulls. I personally blame this super helper guy for the lack of success of the hunt. There were other factors, like shooting his shotgun at grouse throughout the day and bumping heards out of the timber (all thanks to super helper guy) but it was a disappointing hunt in general, especially with all of the Elk I was spotting. If I am helping a friend, he is my number one priority. Don't get me wrong, I like to help (years in Search and Rescue) but never go full retard.