Let Me Run a Hot Tent Idea Past You Guys...

So I have an opportunity to buy a new Big Agnes Mint Saloon tent (including footprint and mesh door) for really cheap: https://www.bigagnes.com/MInt-Saloon

I'm considering getting it and and cutting a stove jack and using it for family camping/base camping for hunt trips. I wouldn't do any backpacking with it obviously (I don't backpack hunt much anyway). It seems like it's a prime candidate for a mod-job: it's big, floor-less, single-wall, etc. I see some potential downside too with the lack of a skirt, and I'm guessing it's going to be a party if there's high winds. Thoughts?

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
It would work fine as a hot tent but like you said I don’t think it would hold up well to storms or snow load. Unless your getting it a ton cheaper you can get a very similar shelter from something like a luxe mega horn XL that will probably due better in a storm and already has a stove jack and floor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
North Idaho Stickbow
Yeah, that's my other thought; forking out some extra for the 8-man Megahorn. I can get the whole Big Agnes setup for about $200 though, so I don't know.

Napperm4

WKR
My logic is I can either buy something that’s purpose built like the Luxe and buy it once or I can gamble on the $200 big Agnes, piss around with modifying it (not sure of your skills but buying and adding a stove jack can be a pain the first time around) And maybe it’ll hold up and you’ll get lucky or it’ll ruin a hunt because it didn’t hold up to the weather so now you’re done for the season, missing days and spending twice as much to replace the summer tent for something more robust

I’m sure that big Agnes would be great for a party bar at a festival like the website suggests but I wouldn’t be trusting my hard earned hunting days with it. Especially anything in the mountains.