Let Off %

WMag338

WKR
I have read a lot of posts regarding let off % of compound bows and state laws. Some states are 85% max and some are 80%. Everyone seems to have different advice. Some say the wardens don't usually check, Some say they have "heard" of people getting ticketed, but no one on the forums seems to have been the one who received the ticket. My issue is my bow is a tack driver right now and currently has 85% mods and I'm going a state with an 80% max let off. I really am hesitant about changing mods and possibly having to get a new sight tape. Does anyone have any first hand advice or experience on this?

OP
WMag338

WMag338

WKR
**Edit - Specifically speaking about a Matthews Halon and hunting September in Montana

Up to you if the risk is worth it. The law is the law and there is always the slim chance that a warden could check. I switched mine to 80% to be Colorado compliant and I like the feel better so it’s a win win for me. You could probably keep the same sight tape and possibly and just adjust tune if needed. Have you measured your actual let off? It may be closer to 80% already and some cable adjustment may get you to 80 with your current mods

Well, hunting in Nevada, we have the same law. Never heard of this being tested. Besides, I suspect that if their measure has not been certified, you could easily fight the ticket. And really, how are they going to measure it? Out there? Through a checkpoint?

Nut's really. But please, anyone here, can you provide a DIRECT example of this being enforced?

High let-off bows are a function of ever advancing technology. To me, I would argue that the higher let-off bows kill more ethically by getting a slightly better placed shot. It is why Pope and Young regulations have changed over the years to accommodate for this ever increasing trend. So far all of you arguing that we should "follow the rules" and should not "ignore one of the regs", please explain to me how a 5% let-off is an unfair advantage. Why it is so important to change our bow from 85% to 80%?

I believe that bowhunters still have to research, travel, stalk and shoot their prey. This is a huge undertaking that very few people take on. There is a lot going on. I cannot see how a 1-2 pound draw discount is going to make any significant advantage in comparison.

There is a term for people who follow rules blindly, without question: Sheeple. And really, who on this forum has NEVER sped while driving? Who here has NEVER jay walked? Who here has NEVER negotiated a good price for a product? Let's not take our ingrown hyperbolic sense of right and wrong and judge from afar. Look inward and realize that no one is perfect and that we are all free-thinking individuals.

I have a Mathews traverse that I purchased with 85% and I later switched to 75% to become CO compliant. I had no issues with POI changing. Just took some getting used to with my draw motion. Do it sooner rather than later and you will likely not notice the difference after a while.

Rob5589

WKR
High let-off bows are a function of ever advancing technology. To me, I would argue that the higher let-off bows kill more ethically by getting a slightly better placed shot. It is why Pope and Young regulations have changed over the years to accommodate for this ever increasing trend. So far all of you arguing that we should "follow the rules" and should not "ignore one of the regs", please explain to me how a 5% let-off is an unfair advantage. Why it is so important to change our bow from 85% to 80%?

I believe that bowhunters still have to research, travel, stalk and shoot their prey. This is a huge undertaking that very few people take on. There is a lot going on. I cannot see how a 1-2 pound draw discount is going to make any significant advantage in comparison.

There is a term for people who follow rules blindly, without question: Sheeple. And really, who on this forum has NEVER sped while driving? Who here has NEVER jay walked? Who here has NEVER negotiated a good price for a product? Let's not take our ingrown hyperbolic sense of right and wrong and judge from afar. Look inward and realize that no one is perfect and that we are all free-thinking individuals.

Whether or not the extra 5% helps is irrelevant. It is the current regulation where the OP is hunting. Same with expandables, lighted nocks, draw weights, etc. Don't like it, speak to your fish and game dept to effect change.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Agree with what’s posted. It really depends on your personal values.

What makes hunting, hunting is knowing the rules and following them to allow “fair chase”. Obviously there are differences between states (which doesn’t necessarily make it more or less “fair”). But that’s the game we play.

I’m sure you would “get away with it” but when that massive rack is sitting on your wall 30 years from now only you will know you “cheated”.

My 2 cents. Interesting discussion.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Honestly, I would leave your sight tape alone if its already good.
September is a long ways away and plenty of time to setup your bow correctly.

Here is the math
going from an 85% to an 80% let off increases my FPS from 285.41 to 286.67 on my VXR. The 1.25 fps increase is a null value.

Whether or not you agree with the law is irrelevant. Whether or not I agree with the law is Irrelevant.
While I don't know Montana’s specific regulations, I'm sure taking game "illegally" could result in your harvest confiscated.
Do you really want to take the risk that the 200" mule deer your packing out gets confiscated because you had an illegal set of mods on your bow and ran into a pain in the butt game warden? Seems kinda foolish to me. Sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Elk97

WKR
I bought a used bow and it had 85% mods on it. I hunt in MT and so I changed to the 75% mods. Thems the rules, so.... I actually like the 75% better anyway after getting used to it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Why it is so important to change our bow from 85% to 80%?

It's only important if you want to be compliant with the regs. Otherwise, you have to be willing to accept the consequences of your choices........just like speeding. Yes, we all have the freedom to choose, whether you are a sheeple or otherwise. Some aren't willing to accept the consequences of choosing foolishly.

The standard used to be 65% and then 80%, and now a bunch of bows are at 85%. Gee, which direction are they going? Seems like they're heading to 100% and everyone using crossbows. IMO that's the wrong direction. I'd be OK if states went to "all traditional" with 0% letoff. Again IMO that would be a better direction than the one we're on now.

Last edited:

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
I shot better when I switched. I was having bow torque problems with the super light let off. Switched to a heavier let off for Colorado and have been way more consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
WMag338

WMag338

WKR
Great advice from everyone. Thanks for all the info. I contacted my local archery shop today to order the 75% mods from Mathews next week. From my understanding, they are fairly easy to change yourself at home without a press. Will be eager to get them installed and see how it shoots. Sounds like if its a dealbreaker, I could always change them back to 85% when I get home from Montana.

Great advice from everyone. Thanks for all the info. I contacted my local archery shop today to order the 75% mods from Mathews next week. From my understanding, they are fairly easy to change yourself at home without a press. Will be eager to get them installed and see how it shoots. Sounds like if its a dealbreaker, I could always change them back to 85% when I get home from Montana.

Pull on your cable a little to let tension off. No need for a press.

If you get use to it you will probably be more accurate with lower let off. String is less likely to be effected by things like inconsistent face pressure. Not sure by how much, but it will be a little.

Oso

FNG
I adjusted my bow down from 90% to 80% today. Even though it looks like Texas doesn't have a max, I'd like to get used to it at a letoff percentage I can use anywhere. I hit center target first shot at 20 yards with no further adjustments. I noticed a slight difference, but it's not a lot at 60#.