Let the custom or semi custom build commence!

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
Alright, so I’ve been not so patiently awaiting the arrival of my Carbon Six .300 Win Mag barrel and now I’m second guessing my action. Thinking maybe I should go with a custom Lone Peak Razor Ti, over semi truing (if that’s even necessary) my older Rem 700 action sitting in my safe. Anyone with real world experience with the Lone Peak? It will be a 700 platform, due to already having a barrel paid for and on its way, so as much as I like Tikka, keep those suggestions to yourself

Also, I’m contemplating triggers..what’s worked for everybody? I’m looking at Jewel and Trigger Tech. Should I look at one over the other? If so, any reasons?

Lastly, stocks. I’m strongly considering AGC Alpine Hunter, or the Privateer. Anyone like one over the other?

I’m not really on a budget, so other input is appreciated.

wapitibob

WKR
I’m convinced an accurised action will never be as accurate as a custom unless they toss the bolt and turn the body on an oversized one to fit the bore. At that point I’m just gonna buy custom.
I like my jewell but I believe Avery has had problems in winter weather and moved to the trigger tech.
My next stock will be that agc alpine.

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
I’m convinced an accurised action will never be as accurate as a custom unless they toss the bolt and turn the body on an oversized one to fit the bore. At that point I’m just gonna buy custom.
I like my jewell but I believe Avery has had problems in winter weather and moved to the trigger tech.
My next stock will be that agc alpine.
I’ve read so much about “Accurizing” the actions, but nothing definitive. I’m leaning toward selling the action I bought on here and just going custom. After “Accurizing” I’ll have just as much into the old action as I will a custom. That’s the main reason I’m thinking of going the custom route now. I’ll have to search and see if I can find Avery’s review or input on the Jewel. Thanks for your input.

rayporter

WKR
a tuned remy trigger will equal anything you can buy to hunt with. yea a jewell can be unbelievably light but you can not hunt with a one ounce trigger.. i have several remys set at 2 lb. and love them like my Jewells. but the Jewell is very fragile and subject to a lot of problems you dont need in a hunting trigger. i carry a spare Jewell already set up when i go to compete.

as far as truing the action, any smith worth the time will do some truing on the action because his work is on the line when he screws the barrel on. the threads and bolt face have to be square to his chamber job.

you cant beat the custom for smoothness and the remy can be made the equal to any for accuracy. ]for a price]

rayporter

WKR
After “Accurizing” I’ll have just as much into the old action as I will a custom.

this is pretty much a true statement. if you talk to any serious accuracy smith that is what they will tell you. and they will add "when you get all done it is worth what any Remington action is worth" when you go to sell and a custom will hold it value.

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
a tuned remy trigger will equal anything you can buy to hunt with. yea a jewell can be unbelievably light but you can not hunt with a one ounce trigger.. i have several remys set at 2 lb. and love them like my Jewells. but the Jewell is very fragile and subject to a lot of problems you dont need in a hunting trigger. i carry a spare Jewell already set up when i go to compete.

as far as truing the action, any smith worth the time will do some truing on the action because his work is on the line when he screws the barrel on. the threads and bolt face have to be square to his chamber job.

you cant beat the custom for smoothness and the remy can be made the equal to any for accuracy. ]for a price]
Yeah, I like the factory Rem trigger on the 3 others I have, I just don’t have a spare so I was just looking at options. Maybe I’ll try looking for a factory trigger.

I’ve been looking at the truing, but my issue is the barrel I bought is chambered and a remage barrel, so that’s why I’m thinking of going the custom route now. I’ve read to many opinions on why or why not to true, and threads not being able to work with a pre threaded barrel. Trying to make the rest of my parts choices without a headache. Lol

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
After “Accurizing” I’ll have just as much into the old action as I will a custom.

this is pretty much a true statement. if you talk to any serious accuracy smith that is what they will tell you. and they will add "when you get all done it is worth what any Remington action is worth" when you go to sell and a custom will hold it value.
So that settles the action part. I’ll go custom. No sense in shorting myself, when I’ll already have all that money wrapped up into good parts. Hopefully I can get my money back out of the old factory action.

rayporter

WKR
put out a WTB for a factory trigger and you will get some action.

if i had the barrel in hand i would be shooting to find out what i had!!!!!!!

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
put out a WTB for a factory trigger and you will get some action.

if i had the barrel in hand i would be shooting to find out what i had!!!!!!!
It’s on its way, Any day now. Lol it’s been a long 2 months. I do actually have an old .270 I might could “borrow” a trigger from. 🤔👀

I can’t help you with the stock, but I would suggest also looking at Timney tiggers. I put one on my Rem 700 and was very impressed.

Djacker

WKR
I have a lone peak fuzion ti and really like it. If you have any questions about the action, ask away. I would take a good look at trigger tech. I have 2 specials and 1 jewel trigger. I prefer the trigger techs, just feel better to me. I also have an AG stock, not one that you mentioned. its hard to beat the turnaround time on AG stocks. I personally like the grip on the alpine hunter

tdhanses

WKR
If your barrel is threaded for the factory Rem action I do believe it will not thread into the LPA action, different thread pattern.

If a blank no issue.

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
If your barrel is threaded for the factory Rem action I do believe it will not thread into the LPA action, different thread pattern.

If a blank no issue.
If I did my research right, Rem factory is 1 1/16-16 thread size and LPA website says actions are that size too. I could be wrong, but I emailed them earlier today, to verify before I purchased one.

Cody_W

WKR
Also, running AGC adj hunter, I have high cheek bones so the non adj was out of the question. I’m perfectly happy with it.

carter33

WKR
I have a LPA fuzion ti action and love it. My other custom is a defiance and I don’t have anything negative i could say about either. Both are extremely smooth and hold up better in crappy weather than any factory offering I have seen in other rifles, even the higher end ones. The LPA fuzion definitely beats out the defiance if trying to keep it as light as possible but the new defiance anTi seems to have leveled that advantage.

For triggers I have a used timney, trigger tech and bix n Andy. I prefer the TT and bix n Andy over the timney, between those two it’s a toss up. Haven’t had any failures with any of them though.

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
If you are running a remage nut you’ll be fine, if it’s shouldered you’ll likely have headspace issues
That’s good to hear. I did get the remage nut, but still waiting to hear back from Lone Peak. Better to be safe than drop $1500 and be screwed. Also I was wondering about the adjustable, does it add much weight? I’d like to keep it 8.5-9 ish lbs with a Nightforce scope. Hence looking into The titanium action now.

OP
RyanM

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
I have a LPA fuzion ti action and love it. My other custom is a defiance and I don’t have anything negative i could say about either. Both are extremely smooth and hold up better in crappy weather than any factory offering I have seen in other rifles, even the higher end ones. The LPA fuzion definitely beats out the defiance if trying to keep it as light as possible but the new defiance anTi seems to have leveled that advantage.

For triggers I have a used timney, trigger tech and bix n Andy. I prefer the TT and bix n Andy over the timney, between those two it’s a toss up. Haven’t had any failures with any of them though.
Yeah light ish weight is the goal. I’m tossing a night force on for scope, so I’m hoping 9 ish lbs total. I’ll look into the trigger tech and bix n Andy. Haha it would be cool to try them first, but that would be difficult or expensive.

Cody_W

WKR
That’s good to hear. I did get the remage nut, but still waiting to hear back from Lone Peak. Better to be safe than drop $1500 and be screwed. Also I was wondering about the adjustable, does it add much weight? I’d like to keep it 8.5-9 ish lbs with a Nightforce scope. Hence looking into The titanium action now.
Adj cheek adds 10oz per their specs. My gun ends up weighing heavy due to the 30” c6 Bull barrel. I’m 12lb on the nose scoped with arc rings and a 7-35 Mark 5hd. It’s basically a flag pole, but man does it shoot.