Let The Workouts Begin!!!

My routine for elk shape has been legs, legs, and more legs. I have a ski hill a few miles from home that I will hike up and down numerous times a week. Rucking with a weighted pack has helped me tremendously as well. This year I plan to add side hilling along railroad tracks to condition my ankles and feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Legs is where it all starts and ends especially as we get older. Another thing to remember especially for us grey and bald guys is flexibility. I am more limber than most of the high school kids in the gym, and working on flexibility is just as, if not more, important than building mass or strength. If you can't efficiently apply force to the ground you are going to suffer in extra soreness and will be more prone to injury. Doing a 10-15 minute stretching routine a couple times a week will pay huge dividends for those gusy with tight calves, hamstrings, and hips.

In Patton's immortal words, "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war." "A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood."

MoeJoe517

FNG
Definitely adding more HIT training this time. I went on an Elk hunt in 2019, thought I was in good shape but the mountains had other plans. No matter how in shape its still a tough trip...but I know what to expect this go around. The first time was a huge learning experience.

Deadfall

WKR
What do you guys do to get in shape? I’m not in terrible shape but can do better for sure. I’m not one for going to the gym or lifting weights. I’ve got 2 kids at home under 3 so my days are busy with them.
mad of Friday I made the decision to start eating better. Trying to cut the pop out and limit the amount of bread and carbs I’m eating.
I like the hill walking you guys have mentioned. I’ll place my 2.5 YO in the child carrier to add some weight as well.
What’s some other at home exercises you guys recommend?
1/2 quart water at waking up.
Bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar
2 minutes wall sit.
2 minutes leg extension. Laying down hold legs off ground
1 minute no weight squats
2 minutes pushup.
2 minutes arm circles.
1/2 quart water.

1 quart water at lunch. 1 quart couple hours before bed
A 1-3 mile walk few times a week

No weights required.

Deadfall

WKR
1/2 quart water at waking up.
Bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar
2 minutes wall sit.
2 minutes leg extension. Laying down hold legs off ground
1 minute no weight squats
2 minutes pushup.
2 minutes arm circles.
1/2 quart water.

1 quart water at lunch. 1 quart couple hours before bed
A 1-3 mile walk few times a week

No weights required.
Oh and lots of stretching abd side movement

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a typical Saturday in March in the Montana high country🤙Playing with Odin

Attachments

• B943851B-AD6C-4CEB-89A4-DC33649E2AB6.jpeg
    B943851B-AD6C-4CEB-89A4-DC33649E2AB6.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 74
  • D6A8FFED-70A0-43CB-95CC-0612C9FAE250.jpeg
    D6A8FFED-70A0-43CB-95CC-0612C9FAE250.jpeg
    363.4 KB · Views: 75

JPIDAHO

FNG
Outdoorsmans Atlas Trainer Frame System

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Super anxious to get after it. Was on a good consistent routine from Nov-Jan and seeing positive fitness gains (pretty easy to see with the Whoop data). Broke my wrist yet AGAIN and had it screwed together a few weeks ago. Cardio only right now. When I can lift things again, I usually mix HIT workouts with kettle bells. I think it’s a great combination of functionally and mixes things up.

Man it sucks running with a cast on right now! It’s like wearing a sauna on your arm!!!!

Be safe out there folks and don’t jeopardize your hunting season.
EFD5BF1B-DB78-4527-9C1B-A2BCC7ECBB29.jpeg

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
I'm nearing 50, and I'm not looking to break any records, but I workout year-round so I can hunt in the fall. I've had back trouble since I was a kid and compound lifts have been the best solution I've found for keeping my back healthy. So, my goals are to continue to workout five days a week, and continue to do my yoga routines for my mobility. I'm also going to work on my archery at the range and in leagues.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
alright I think just found the ultimate quad, hip, glute and calf workout for everyone to try

load a pack with about 25 lbs, load a pulk with about 75 lbs, strap snowshoes on, put on pack and hook sled to the waist belt, hike 5 miles and gain ~ 2700' of elevation with this load and you should be good to go for the day's workout

TOAiHTe.jpg

HoytHntr4

WKR
Drawing an AZ early archery tag has definitely motivated me to crank up my routine even more. Try to run at least a couple miles a few times a week. Then lunges, squats, and weighted pack step ups and hikes seem to prepare my legs pretty well

shadow24

FNG
What do you guys do to get in shape? I’m not in terrible shape but can do better for sure. I’m not one for going to the gym or lifting weights. I’ve got 2 kids at home under 3 so my days are busy with them.
mad of Friday I made the decision to start eating better. Trying to cut the pop out and limit the amount of bread and carbs I’m eating.
I like the hill walking you guys have mentioned. I’ll place my 2.5 YO in the child carrier to add some weight as well.
What’s some other at home exercises you guys recommend?
The rugrats like to make home workouts difficult, but sometimes you just have to embrace it and use them for the weight they can provide....ie, push-ups with your 2 year old on your back while they laugh hysterically.
Some good advice on here, but I’d also add for strictly cardio, I always enjoyed doing sprints with a rest in between. For example, depending on what area you have to work with, “sprint” (or run almost as hard as you can for 30 seconds), then walk-rest for 60, repeat for a few “sets”, or time-based. This repeated up-down in heart rate adds some gains for cardio ability, if you are half-way decent shape already. It’s also something you can do while the ankle-biters hang out close by on bikes or whatnot.

House21

FNG
Elk hunting is what got me started on working out about 5 years ago, we always got elk but being over 400lbs myself if they were anywhere that I had to work hard for I just couldn’t do it. Decided I wanted to try some back pack hunting and started walking which turned into full blown workouts and going from just over 430lbs down to 213lbs. Now I workout year round but starting begging of July I’ll start hiking hills with my pack and add weight until I get up to 100 lbs and then stay at that for the rest of the season while I work out.

my routine most days now are 30 min walk before work, then 30 min run after work followed by 30 min weight training. Lots of people laugh by I tell everyone that my addiction to elk hunting saved my life lol.

Elk hunting is what got me started on working out about 5 years ago, we always got elk but being over 400lbs myself if they were anywhere that I had to work hard for I just couldn’t do it. Decided I wanted to try some back pack hunting and started walking which turned into full blown workouts and going from just over 430lbs down to 213lbs. Now I workout year round but starting begging of July I’ll start hiking hills with my pack and add weight until I get up to 100 lbs and then stay at that for the rest of the season while I work out.

my routine most days now are 30 min walk before work, then 30 min run after work followed by 30 min weight training. Lots of people laugh by I tell everyone that my addiction to elk hunting saved my life lol.
Dang man that’s really impressive. Great to hear

chasewild

WKR
As the time gets closer and closer ill keep adding weight to my pack until i top out at around 110 lbs, i do this every other day when i take my dog on her 1.25 mile walk. It's not intense but those little exercises 3 times a week add up quick for breaking in the knees / ankles / boots / core for carrying that kind of weight. No reason me AND the dog cant get exercise at the same time. Cardio on the off days!
Gotta #keephammering right! lulz.