Let The Workouts Begin!!!

Elk97

WKR
So I didn't know if I was going to be able to hunt this year because of a back injury. My left leg was/is very weak because the nerve is being pinched by a herniated disc. I've been to (in chronological order) a chiropractor, physical therapist, MD, neurosurgeon and nothing had really helped or given me hope that it would be ready by Sept 1. About a week ago I tried to grab our new pup and kind of did a lunge with my left leg. Had huge instant pain in the front of my thigh and spasms for quite awhile, then my back felt king of weird for a couple of days but my leg felt a lot better. It's continued to improve and I've been able to do 4-5 mile hikes with my pack up steep trails and I think it's going to be good to go! The dog did more for it than all the professionals combined:))

Last year I did a weekly heavy pack ruck of 3 miles or so, plus running a couple days a week and a leg day w/ squats, cleans, walking lunges, and hundreds of step-ups.

Yesterday I did a tire drag for the first time. My brother had told me it was the closest thing to simulating uphill climbing he could find (we're Texas flatlanders). I definitely think he is right- dragging a tire with a pack with 40 pounds in it for a mile about kicked my butt.

I'm going to have to subject myself to more of that punishment over the next 3 months.

Had a hernia repaired a few weeks ago, so I'm still off the heavy squats. In the meantime, I'm shooting the bow, running, and carrying the pack. Also watched a few iron wolf videos (youtube), and did a 20-minute session of:

(10) Bodybuilders
(10) Squats
(10) Hand Release Push Ups

I've done some tough workouts, but that was some brutal, full-body cardio. Will be doing more of that.

For those of you pushing hard don't push it too hard. I am afraid I hit it a little too hard, too fast. Plantar fasciitis! Wife told me to slow down. Was wanting to lose some additional weight a bit too fast. Word to the Wise, keep your rucking around 40 lbs., don't use the heavier weights day after day. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should do it. I didn't feel this coming up either, just Bam one day it was there. Hopefully stopping as soon as I felt it will help. It just got worse for about the next three days even though I stopped. Sometimes I forget my age! Hate to see anyone else push themselves too far so be smart guys.

So it's a bike for the next few weeks.

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
Advise for fellow lowlanders (sea-level or below here)

The best thing I have found was to run sprints in the heat and humidity. I did some rucking, went to the gym often (low weight high rep) but HIIT running was the key IMO

I did something like this:

5 min jog
90 second push
60 second jog
90 second push
60 second jog
90 second push
1 min walk

60 second sprint
45 second walk
60 second sprint
45 second walk
60 second sprint
45 second walk
60 second sprint
45 second walk
60 second sprint
90 second walk

90 second push
60 second jog
90 second push
60 second jog
90 second push
1 min walk

45 second sprint
45 second walk
45 second sprint
45 second walk
45 second sprint
45 second walk
45 second sprint
90 second walk

Cool down jog 3 min or so

Predatore

FNG
After a handful of solo elk pack-outs I realized I needed to work out year-round. My only option for 4-6 days/week has been to exercise in the morning before work, and before my family wakes up on the weekends (2 young kids). Pre-workout supplements have been my best friend. As for workouts, in the off-season I've been doing full-body strength training 2-3x/week and longer cardio 2-3x/week (endurance, jog, rucks, hikes). My go-to pre-season training program has been the Atomic Athlete program offered free by Exo Mountain Gear. I did that the past two years with great success, and will be doing the 2nd version this fall. I amp up my training program prior to starting the Atomic Athlete because it is intense (a pre-training training program if you will). Still, despite my best efforts, I get my ass kicked every year. You can truly never be in good enough shape!

Check it out Atomic Athlete here: https://exomtngear.com/pages/free-backcountry-hunting-training-program

Last edited:

Wiscobob

FNG
Elk hunting is what got me started on working out about 5 years ago, we always got elk but being over 400lbs myself if they were anywhere that I had to work hard for I just couldn’t do it. Decided I wanted to try some back pack hunting and started walking which turned into full blown workouts and going from just over 430lbs down to 213lbs. Now I workout year round but starting begging of July I’ll start hiking hills with my pack and add weight until I get up to 100 lbs and then stay at that for the rest of the season while I work out.

my routine most days now are 30 min walk before work, then 30 min run after work followed by 30 min weight training. Lots of people laugh by I tell everyone that my addiction to elk hunting saved my life lol.
Elk hunting is what got me started on working out about 5 years ago, we always got elk but being over 400lbs myself if they were anywhere that I had to work hard for I just couldn’t do it. Decided I wanted to try some back pack hunting and started walking which turned into full blown workouts and going from just over 430lbs down to 213lbs. Now I workout year round but starting begging of July I’ll start hiking hills with my pack and add weight until I get up to 100 lbs and then stay at that for the rest of the season while I work out.

my routine most days now are 30 min walk before work, then 30 min run after work followed by 30 min weight training. Lots of people laugh by I tell everyone that my addiction to elk hunting saved my life lol.
Man that’s awesome and really inspiring! Your hard work and dedication paid off! Congratulations and best of luck this fall!

Wiscobob

FNG
I just started into the MTN Tough No Gear 60 program. I’ve been very impressed with the program so far and it seems like the workouts do a nice job hitting different muscle groups each day. I like the fact that you can do the workouts in your home on your schedule and don’t need a bunch of equipment. I’ve also been hiking the local ski hill with a 40lb bag of wood pellets in my pack a day or two per week.

Onski316

FNG
Getting ready for first out-west trip this year. Being a flatlander, I know I'm going to get my butt kicked. Been to the mountains before and have gone for runs and almost died where that's no problem here. lol. However, still running for cardio and riding bicycle. 40# pack in the brush around my property. Along with regular weight workouts. I exercise regularly for XC dirt bike racing (yes, I'm probably getting too old for that but I feel it keeps me in shape and forces me to stay on top of my workouts) but even in good shape, those jogs at elevation are a real wake-up call for me. Just no way to train for that here close to sea level.

Burpees yesterday:
Two pyramids, one ascending one descending. Rest 30s between sets, or more. Just keep the HR up. Under 45 mins start to finish, 6-count burpees.

15-1
14-2
13-3
12-4
11-5
And so on.
240 total

next workout will use navy seal burpees on left side pyramid, 6-count on right side. That’ll total 480 push-ups and zero fluff.

Video credit:

ndforbes

FNG
Shooting every day and running about 25 miles a week at the moment. I'm doing a couple half marathons in three weeks. After that, I'll trim back the running and do more workouts on the mountain bike and spend the weekends hiking in the hills with heavy packs. Can't wait for September to arrive!! This hot weather is killing me.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've found it really important if you have a workout partner he's a good one.

2UCDXFO.jpg

Squats, squats, and more squats. Mountain hiking for cardio as there is no replacement for that.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been training for a diy drop camp moose hunt in September which have increased my pack weight and I’ve been doing a lot more ankle, and knee stability exercises in hopes for a heavy pack out in the tundra! Love it!!

Button

WKR
It’s been several years since I’ve trained(notice trained not workout). But I’ve renewed that for elk. Extensive swimming and triathlon background. I must say it feels good to be back in the saddle again. Unfortunately the horses are to old to hit the mountains especially from sea level. So my brother and I will do it on our own. Both accomplished swimmers. My brother more so.

Last edited: