Let The Workouts Begin!!!

ElkNut1

WKR
OK, you Elk Hunters, it's that time again! If you already workout year around then hats are off to you!

For those who are just getting started what are your goals by Sept - Oct hunts?

I'm working harder on both strength & cardio this year, it's a grind but my motivation is great! (archery elk hunting) How about you?

ElkNut

OK, you Elk Hunters, it's that time again! If you already workout year around then hats are off to you!

For those who are just getting started what are your goals by Sept - Oct hunts?

I'm working harder on both strength & cardio this year, it's a grind but my motivation is great! (archery elk hunting) How about you?

ElkNut

ElkNut, I’m glad to hear you’re going to be in great shape to help me on my elk hunt here in AZ. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usi05

WKR
Just started cutting weight and walking hills again.

Two years ago I was fat and nobody told me just how fat lol. Went on first western hunt and dropped from 220 to 200 beforehand .

Last year I went from 200-188ish and felt great.

This year I have conflicting goals. I want to be 175-180 but I also am going to add some muscle mass. Good chance I will be hunting solo this year so I need to be able to handle it if I’m lucky enough to harvest.

Walking hills 3x a week right now. Will add a day or two of running hills as we get into summer.

Exciting to get ball rolling again

Gapmaster

WKR
Recovering from rotator surgery... so I’ve got several goals. Started putting in the miles a few weeks ago. Cardio and strength. Hope to wear a pack soon.
Pushing it in PT with a goal to be able to draw a bow by July. 🤞
Let the grind begin!!

Gerbdog

WKR
As the time gets closer and closer ill keep adding weight to my pack until i top out at around 110 lbs, i do this every other day when i take my dog on her 1.25 mile walk. It's not intense but those little exercises 3 times a week add up quick for breaking in the knees / ankles / boots / core for carrying that kind of weight. No reason me AND the dog cant get exercise at the same time. Cardio on the off days!

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll start increasing my daily horse shoeing count from 3 daily sets to 6-8 daily sets. I’ll also start irrigating soon so I’ll be walking several miles twice daily moving water around. Plus kayaking for cardio, and riding the mountains to get horses ready.

Marble

WKR
Recovering from rotator surgery... so I’ve got several goals. Started putting in the miles a few weeks ago. Cardio and strength. Hope to wear a pack soon.
Pushing it in PT with a goal to be able to draw a bow by July.
Let the grind begin!!
Talk to your PT and tell them your goal if you haven't.

You will not be 100%. But you can be in elkshape.

The one thing I wish I did was got a small super light draw weight bow and just kept the muscle memory there.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

hbc07

FNG
No set goals. But started lifting again - 5/3/1 BBB adding in weighted lunges and step ups. trying to keep my cycling at a minimum of 40 miles a week and seeing if I can get my running back up above 10 miles a week.

Elk shape. Time grind it out. I choose not to take a break from the grind at the gym. As I get older it’s too easy to stop and it takes too long to get back to where you were and definitely recover from the time you missed. I work out with the younger guys to remind them you better bring your “A” game if you want to grind it out and be in elk shape down here.

I took November off due to a calf injury.

004fd97a1c939497a7872602ec2e4e8e.jpg

First time elk hunter. Hitting the runs, swims, and high intensity interval trainings weekly. Will add some weighted lower body and weighted hiking in later. Hopefully that's enough. I've been told no matter what, it will never be enough..

4rcgoat

WKR
No set goals. But started lifting again - 5/3/1 BBB adding in weighted lunges and step ups. trying to keep my cycling at a minimum of 40 miles a week and seeing if I can get my running back up above 10 miles a week.
I just started on the 531 program about 3 weeks ago,hoping to see some better gains from a structured program, that and a lot of mountain rucks.

srichter

FNG
Realized I’m up 20 pounds from last years hunt so I started my cut on Monday. Need to get back into working out pretty soon.

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
What do you guys do to get in shape? I’m not in terrible shape but can do better for sure. I’m not one for going to the gym or lifting weights. I’ve got 2 kids at home under 3 so my days are busy with them.
mad of Friday I made the decision to start eating better. Trying to cut the pop out and limit the amount of bread and carbs I’m eating.
I like the hill walking you guys have mentioned. I’ll place my 2.5 YO in the child carrier to add some weight as well.
What’s some other at home exercises you guys recommend?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I much prefer to workout year round as well (might be an old guy thing? :D). I like to snowshoe/backcountry ski in the winter, backpack year round and hike our local trails here almost daily. I typically have several somewhat crazy trips planned every year (high mileage, few days). I participate in the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open each and every May. 100-ish miles across the Bob Marshall Complex where the starting/finishing points change each year. Always snow at the passes, always tough creeks/rivers to ford, always challenging navigation- always fun :)

I do think it's important to add a couple of days strength training to any plan. I've found concentrating on big compound lifts (squats/deadlifts/bench press/overhead press) to work best for me. I sprinkle in a healthy dose of pull/chin ups, dips, lunges, etc and core stuff.

About a month and a half prior to the season, I pull back a little on my mileage and start lightening up my strength training. I replace that with some weighted rucking on our local trails. I slowly build up the weight (and vary the elevation gain and distances), but I've given up on very high weights for training. I've found too heavy and your risks of injury exceed any gains. At the end I'm rucking about 60 lbs (starting at 20-ish). I've never had any problems hauling out 80-100 lb loads after the 6 weeks of weighted rucking (and never exceeding 60#).

My goals are in my signature so I can see them every day :)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Other than needing a 4-level fusion in my neck, having a herniated disc in the middle of my back, having a ruptured disc in my lumbar, constant pain and muscle spasms in neck, back, and sciatic, a left wrist that always hurts, a broken big toe from January that's still got issues (thinking beyond the bone now), bone on bone knees, asthmatic lungs worsened by Covid, and arthritis popping up everywhere.......I'm in great shape and ready for September. (y)

I'm glad that my mind and attitude are stronger than my body at this point. But that's also probably why my body is in the shape it's in.:( Oh well, elk.......here I come.

I'm just waiting for the heat.......winter blows.