Let The Workouts Begin!!!

4rcgoat

WKR
What do you guys do to get in shape? I’m not in terrible shape but can do better for sure. I’m not one for going to the gym or lifting weights. I’ve got 2 kids at home under 3 so my days are busy with them.
mad of Friday I made the decision to start eating better. Trying to cut the pop out and limit the amount of bread and carbs I’m eating.
I like the hill walking you guys have mentioned. I’ll place my 2.5 YO in the child carrier to add some weight as well.
What’s some other at home exercises you guys recommend?
Get a few dumbbells or kettlebells, goblet squats, kettlebell swings,lunges,reverse weighted lunges.....just to name a few.

My daughters are both nationally ranked weightlifters in Olympic weightlifting (snatch/clean and jerk). They work out 4x per week and I pick 3 of those days to train alongside them with a mandatory rest day in between. I'm 46 and at this point I no longer compete and am looking to only maintain. I too had shoulder surgery a couple years ago, and have grudgingly accepted the fact it will never be 100%. I've also acknowledged that resting between workouts is absolutely critical.

I typically work up to 3 sets of 5 in accessory moves with the last set roughly 75-80% of my one rep max (actual, not calculated):
Back squats (always below parallel)
Front squats (always below parallel)
Deadlifts
Military press
Upright rows

I work up to 3 sets of 3 in the Olympic moves with the last set roughly 75-80% of my one rep max (actual, not calculated):
Snatch
Power snatch
Clean and jerk
Power clean and jerk

To prevent tightness in my chest and shoulders i do not bench press. Too much benching in high school and college precipitated my shoulder issues.

On off days, my wife and I walk a 4 mile circuit on mixed paved and gravel trails.

Rucking with a pack I think is essential. This has many advantages. Your cardio improves, your legs get in shape, you lubricate your joints and ligaments, your feet get conditioned, you establish good natural pace, get some Trek poles & get a rhythm with your trek poles. You will break in your different footwear, boots & shoes form to your feet and you certainly learn what socks to wear or not to wear (no cotton!). You also figure out what modifications and adjustments you need to make to your pack, so it is more comfortable. You find out where you want your hydration tube so its also out of your way. A good side note is you will lose weight also. The more hills you can climb the better. Your feet and the distribution of your weight on your feet actually shifts inside your footwear when you are climbing or going down a steep grade or when side hilling on a steep grade. This will cause some new areas of contact of your feet within your boots. If you only train on flat ground you may experience some discomfort and even some blistering when you get in the mountains due to this shifting of your weight on your feet. This also affect your knees going uphill/ downhill and even more so when you are going side hill. Last thing you want is a torn meniscus, so get out and do some side hill walking and going up and down some steeper grades.

Gapmaster

WKR
Talk to your PT and tell them your goal if you haven't.

You will not be 100%. But you can be in elkshape.

The one thing I wish I did was got a small super light draw weight bow and just kept the muscle memory there.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I’ve been thinking of buying an Accubow and starting back that way. Not sure how well it would work. I’m definitely learning patience for sure!

Yea sir it’s just about that time. I brought my pack, water bladder, trekking poles and hunting boots up to CO this week with plans of hiking after work. That quickly got thwarted with a couple snow storms. I’ll try it again next week. However I have been doing some strength conditioning all winter long. I’ve gained 10 pounds over the winter that I plan on dropping off and getting back down to my killing weight of 200#. High elevation hiking will help

Marble

WKR
I’ve been thinking of buying an Accubow and starting back that way. Not sure how well it would work. I’m definitely learning patience for sure!
I've never used one so I can't really say.

But for me I injured my bow arm which made stabilization a really bitch. I still have to do strengthening exercises weekly and it helps tremendously. It's the stabilization muscles and such that are weak. Anything uphill is very difficult. Not painful, but just difficult to keep stabile.

If you need suggestions just PM me and I'll tell you what has helped me.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
My routine for elk shape has been legs, legs, and more legs. I have a ski hill a few miles from home that I will hike up and down numerous times a week. Rucking with a weighted pack has helped me tremendously as well. This year I plan to add side hilling along railroad tracks to condition my ankles and feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gapmaster

WKR
My routine for elk shape has been legs, legs, and more legs. I have a ski hill a few miles from home that I will hike up and down numerous times a week. Rucking with a weighted pack has helped me tremendously as well. This year I plan to add side hilling along railroad tracks to condition my ankles and feet.

Exactly my routine...hike up and down with my pack 3-4 days a week. As far as side hill goes on the tracks. I work for a RR, they won’t appreciate you being there. Just FYI

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly my routine...hike up and down with my pack 3-4 days a week. As far as side hill goes on the tracks. I work for a RR, they won’t appreciate you being there. Just FYI

Good info to know. I’ll check out some other side hilling options . Thanks for the heads up.

Scoot

WKR
I'm fighting a bum knee right now and that's making workouts tough. I finally broke down and went in last week. Ended up getting a steroid injection. So far it really hasn't helped much, so I'm not sure he was right with his diagnosis. I may end up going back in. Going to try be patient for one more week, then I want an image of my knee taken. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll respond to the cortisone soon, but it's not looking good so far. Fighting my knee sucks, but not being able to work out to prep for elk hunting sucks even more.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
No question Life can deal us some tough Challenges, we all face our individual ups & downs! Key is to stay positive & keep pushing forward & keep those body parts moving! This is especially so once you hit 50! It can be a grind but the rewards are great, never give in!

ElkNut

MThuntr

WKR
Current plan

Mon-Wed-Fri: Crossfit WOD
Tues-Thurs-Fri-Sun: Run/Hike/Ruck (increasing distance weekly)
Wed: Archery practice
Sat: Drink beer & fish

Weekend miles can be earned while hunting (spring bear starts in a few weeks)

Scoot

WKR
No question Life can deal us some tough Challenges, we all face our individual ups & downs! Key is to stay positive & keep pushing forward & keep those body parts moving! This is especially so once you hit 50! It can be a grind but the rewards are great, never give in!

ElkNut
I'll be 49 in a month, so I'm not officially old yet! 😀 ... but amen to what Paul said above! The less you do, the less you'll do. That will have implications for the longevity of your hunting if you don't keep on moving and staying in decent shape all year. Some are blessed with genetics that allow for exceptions, but even those folks would benefit from staying in great shape all year. I want to hunt for a couple more decades (minimum), so I'm going to keep on plugging away with workouts all year long as much as my body let's me.

What do you guys do to get in shape? I’m not in terrible shape but can do better for sure. I’m not one for going to the gym or lifting weights. I’ve got 2 kids at home under 3 so my days are busy with them.
mad of Friday I made the decision to start eating better. Trying to cut the pop out and limit the amount of bread and carbs I’m eating.
I like the hill walking you guys have mentioned. I’ll place my 2.5 YO in the child carrier to add some weight as well.
What’s some other at home exercises you guys recommend?
Hiking hills with the kid in the backpack like you mentioned is a great idea. Also box step-ups with a weighted pack. It's boring to just step up and down for 30-60 minutes, but effective.