Let The Workouts Begin!!!

TodOz

FNG
I've started slow. 30 minutes 3-5x per week on my recumbent bike while I watch Elk videos on YouTube. 1-2 minute planks and 30 second side planks. I plan to step it up soon as I'm approaching the 90 day mark.

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
This thread is great! Super interesting and exciting to hear what everyone is doing!

I'm playing catch up after tax season (CPA) and having our second baby in May. Lifting 3x per week (using Greyskull) and mobility almost every day (working through an upper back/neck program from the Prehab Guys to address some specific issues).

FromEm

FNG
It's always depressing to realize elk season is around the corner and I still haven't gotten out of that winter workout slump. Nothing better to motivate me though that elk hunting! This year I will be hunting in the open country so my fitness requirements will likely be a little different. I think I'll still focus on legs and lungs!

DanimalW

WKR
I’m down 30 lbs from the beginning of the year. Eating/drinking less is harder for me than the exercise. What can I say? I love food and beer…

ILMhunter

FNG
I started running in Feb to prepare, and found out that I just really enjoy running! Hoping to be at a half marathon by the start of season. Doing some surfing and swimming for upper body and core strength, but that's mostly just for fun.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
2.5 days, 48 miles and over 13,000' of gain- but that's not what made it tough- highs into the 80's and even low 90's up high, two "trails" that were choked with blowdown and alder led to a rather strenuous endeavor

j9DiCFC.png

vF6Lz4P.png

L6qsqOl.png

but we were rewarded with some pretty nice country :)

svfioPp.jpg

Q5rn97Q.jpg

heOsCWo.jpg

dfxWuKq.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
ddFVShn.jpg

JBdbvyl.jpg

yesterday’s little foray into the Elkhorn Mountains- saw several cow/calf groups and two very large bulls; maybe someday I’ll draw that coveted permit :D

Had to stop rucking for a while on June 17th due to Plantar fasciitis. Down 21 lbs since 5-16-21 and down today 32 lbs from start of last years Septembers elk hunt. Should be down another five pounds shed before Aug 2nd! That will be a total of 37 lbs downs from last years hunt. Should make it a much more manageable hunt at 10,400 elevation at my base camp. Feeling better for sure. Still have some Plantar fasciitis on my left foot. Slow to heal. I sure hope all you guys have a successful hunt this year. Be safe out there and enjoy the time spent outdoors.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Way to go guys, keep grinding! It's especially special on the days you flat out don't want to do it! Those seem to be the days I remember & appreciate the most! Keep up the solid work!

Remember this!!! Elk Do Not Care If You're In Shape OR NOT! (grin)

ElkNut

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
I've been working on legs at least 3 times week run 3 miles 1-2 days followed up by step up w/ weighted pack. Ruck w/ weighted pack 1 day, and the other day squats and mountian climbers, lunges and weighted stepups again. Other days general strength conditioning with weights and pull up bar. Resistance bands and a foam roller to keep up with stretching and recovery.
I sort of mixed up some up the free exo gear workout plan with some of the workouts that I saw in a kuiu email regarding training.

Only a few more weeks till my first archery elk season!

My only concern is training with my pack and sweating it up too much on the back and lumbar pads. I have always avoided training with a pack for this reason, but after only a couple of weeks I can already see the benefits. I plan to give it a good wash before the season, but also thought about spraying it down with some plain white vinegar, rinsing and letting air out for a week or so. Any other ideas for getting workout stank out of a pack?

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
Don't worry about the pack smell, if elk smell it they are also smelling you! You will sweat like a pig out there no matter what when running & gunning! Keep the wind in your favor 100% of the time or back out!

ElkNut
Well I'm all stocked up on wind checker so we should be good on that front. Probably the cheapest yet most important peice of gear I've invested in.

Piranha37

FNG
I love reading this thread. It’s exactly what I need when trying to get myself motivated for my run today in a heat advisory down here in SC. Just gotta keep hydrating and listen to my body to stay safe. Then embrace the suck.

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
My only concern is training with my pack and sweating it up too much on the back and lumbar pads. I have always avoided training with a pack for this reason, but after only a couple of weeks I can already see the benefits. I plan to give it a good wash before the season, but also thought about spraying it down with some plain white vinegar, rinsing and letting air out for a week or so. Any other ideas for getting workout stank out of a pack?
I was searching on here for an answer to this same question. I know the elk will smell me no matter what after a couple days (minutes?) in the field, but I don't want the pack smelling so strongly that I can smell it. I'm curious what other guys have done.