Let The Workouts Begin!!!

Piranha37

FNG
I was searching on here for an answer to this same question. I know the elk will smell me no matter what after a couple days (minutes?) in the field, but I don't want the pack smelling so strongly that I can smell it. I'm curious what other guys have done.
I will wash mine before the season according to how Exo guys recommend washing it. And then after to get the blood and dirt out. It probably doesn’t make much of a difference to the game, but I don’t like to smell the sweat 😅

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
I will wash mine before the season according to how Exo guys recommend washing it. And then after to get the blood and dirt out. It probably doesn’t make much of a difference to the game, but I don’t like to smell the sweat 😅
I was sort of thinking along these lines as well.

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, this is from their website:

Gapmaster

WKR
Well I’m happy to find out today that I can pull my bow. 2 shoulder surgeries since January and have been stressed out about not being able to hunt. I was going regardless, but knowing I can hunt instead of just calling/packing is a great feeling. I had to turn it down to 60 but I’m able to pull it with a month to go. Probably will limit myself on range due to very little shooting time. But almost all my elk have been shot under 20 yards anyway. Good luck to everyone, hope your ready!

Piranha37

FNG
Thanks, this is from their website:
Yup, exactly. I’m always amazed by how dirty it is.

Art Fern

FNG
What’s the best thing to focus on this last month? Hikes with weight in the pack, overall strength or cardio?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd focus on all three as well, but when it's a couple of weeks out I'd start pulling back; we called it tapering in the race world, but the principles apply the same.

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
I'd focus on all three as well, but when it's a couple of weeks out I'd start pulling back; we called it tapering in the race world, but the principles apply the same.
I started tapering back in January. Just kidding, but I have dialed back the weights lately. I want to minimize the risk of injury. Been swimming laps the last few weeks. It’s a great workout, and I like the low impact aspect.

Gerbdog

WKR
Did a bit of scouting this weekend, workouts paid off but i cant seem to fix the fact i sweat a ton... looked like i had just showered haha. The humidity is so high in the thick n nasty timber. Good news is the legs werent burning too bad and the new gear / boots felt good for the job. Best news is that bull i was after last year still seems to be in there, his hoof prints look bigger and his sh*t piles seem to have grown.... or its all the imagination of an eternally optimistic hunter. A big black bear seems to have moved into the area also so... ill bring a tag for repellant

Wags

WKR
I tore my Bicep off the bone (Distal) in January on a hunt and that sidelined me for 5 months. I was able to get back after it starting mid June and I'm down 10 lbs and my strength and endurance are coming back. I've been doing HIIT, traditional lifting, stair climber and rucking weekly. I enjoy the grind of getting back where I want to be.

The real work starts in the kitchen though. Having a solid food plan and sticking to is key. Second to that is sleep, if you aren't recovering properly then you really need to address that. By tracking my food and getting at least 6 hrs a night (I work 12s so getting more than 6hrs isn't happening most days) I've been able to make good strides quickly without feeling like my body got drug behind a big rig.

3x20 navy seal burpees, squat chaser after each rep in the AM. Few miles in the woods on the MTB late. Really like the intensity intervals that trail riding gives you vs. the suck fest that is road biking.
Gotta put a few miles in with the pack before September, but I really hate this time of year.

Art Fern

FNG
Thanks for all the tips and advice! I’ve got a ways to go. Been swimming a bit, running, basic calisthenics and going on hikes with the pack. Been using an elliptical to simulate climbs due to lack of mountains out here.

How much weight do you try to train with? I’ve been throwing a 50 pound bag of chicken feed in my bag to get used to some weight..

Will_m

WKR
I tore my Bicep off the bone (Distal) in January on a hunt and that sidelined me for 5 months. I was able to get back after it starting mid June and I'm down 10 lbs and my strength and endurance are coming back. I've been doing HIIT, traditional lifting, stair climber and rucking weekly. I enjoy the grind of getting back where I want to be.

The real work starts in the kitchen though. Having a solid food plan and sticking to is key. Second to that is sleep, if you aren't recovering properly then you really need to address that. By tracking my food and getting at least 6 hrs a night (I work 12s so getting more than 6hrs isn't happening most days) I've been able to make good strides quickly without feeling like my body got drug behind a big rig.

How did you manage that, if you don't mind me asking?

Wags

WKR
How did you manage that, if you don't mind me asking?

I was duck hunting and pulling a sled of decoys up a levee and the tendon just snapped free. It wasn't heavy at all so it was pretty surprising. My Doc says it was probably overtraining and small injuries along the way and it just chose to give up then.... the crappy part was I was a few miles from the truck with a ton of gear to get back and then had to load it up with my good arm and drive 2 hours home. Fortunately the pain was bearable & I was in surgery within 48 hours.