Let's discuss a tripod setup for bino's

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Slik 634 aluminum tripod, I've been bouncing back and forth between the SH-707E it came with and a cheap ball head I got off Amazon for $20, at the moment I like the ball head better, but the pan head is always in the truck if I change my mind. I like aluminum over carbon fiber for the added stabiity with my 15s, with 10s you can get away with lighter weight, and something like a $60 Vanguard will get the job done. At the moment I've got 2 bino setups, some 10x50s pairs with a FOR bino adapter and 15x56s on the vortex Unidaptor, but screwed on direct, that "post bucket" as I call it is useless for stability...

Manfroto makes a solid aluminum set of legs in the 190s (I think they're called 190?) that I'd like to get for a standing rig to keep near the truck or as a loaner for friends that come out with me from back east and don't have their own rigs

Edit: I meant the 290's like these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JS86P...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Cantharellus

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info so far. There are so many choices to look into. I prefer to sit down for glassing so I can probably get away with a shorter tripod but then if it’s not tall enough to use while standing I wonder if I’ll regret that? I’m 6’ tall for reference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I started with the Slik 634, I sold it and bought the 624 the following season. I never found myself needing the full height of the taller tripod. I also ran essentially the setup you're looking at for a while. It's amazing! I sold the Outdoorsman's Panhead to try some other options, and I'm thinking about switching back...

Snyder54

FNG
I have the same setup that you are considering with the exception of the head. I went with the Jim White 2.0 from Outdoorsman. It is $100 cheaper and more compact but works great with my binos, 15s, and an 85mm spotter. It is not as smooth as a fluid head but much more compact and lighter and locks down great with the larger optics. It has adjustments for tension and with a little experimentation, I was able to get it to work out great for me.

I runt the same Slik 634 tripod and have been very happy. I only use it sitting as I am 6'9" and no compact tripods will work for me when standing. I have large Gitzo tripod that I use when glassing near the truck that allows me to stand but I prefer sitting when in the field. The Slik is not a Gitzo but it is a good tripod for the price and weight.

mcseal2

WKR
I use either a Slik 634 or a Promaster 525 depending on how tall I need the tripod to go. The Promaster I can hunch over and glass a little standing, but the Slik is better if I will glass standing very much.

I run the Outdoorsmans pan head with an Outdoorsmans adapter on my Swaro 15's. I really like that set up for glassing. Some hunts I'll use my 10x42 Leica Geovid HD-B binos with a strap adapter if I don't need the 15's. Usually the 15's go for deer hunts, other animals I can get by with 10's. I also use the pan head for my Kowa 554 spotter.

One of my favorite features of the Outdoorsman's system is their rifle rest. I've been able to take longer shots with it when prone is not an option. I got my whitetail last year sitting behind it at 380 yards. Got my moose kneeling behind it at 300. If you go with the Outdoorsmans system and rifle hunt, it's a good investment. It makes the weight I'm already carrying in the tripod more multi-purpose also.

I'm ready to make the jump and get a tripod setup for glassing with my bino's. I have Swarovski EL 10x42's and I've been considering sending them in for an Outdoorsman's stud install. I did a little research and this is what I have put together so far. I spend a lot of money on gear but I'm trying to convince myself that $810 is worth it to be able to attach my bino's to a tripod. Any better options? Am I on the right track? Let's hear it Roksliders.

Slik 634 carbon fiber tripod $250
Outdoorsman's Pan head $400
Outdoorsman's stud install $90
Outdoorsman's tall adapter $70
You are on the right track I am running a outdoorsman medium tripod, with a pistol grip head, love this setup the only thing i would change is moving up to a pan head. ( way better for long day on the glass) I have been using my outdoorsman tripod for 6 years now with zero issues best tripod i own. This year I added the long range rifle support and I must say what a game changer for when you cannot go prone.

marctog

FNG
I ran my swaro10x42 el's off a slik 330 with sh707e head and used a cheapo bino adapter for the first time this year. It was such a game changer that I will never hunt without having my binos attached to a tripod ever again... Sent my el's into Outdoorsmans to have the stud installed and am super excited to try that this next season. Seems rock solid...only issue I had was that the stud came back and does not appear to be pressed in all the way... does anyone else with this install have a gap between the hinge and the flange of the stud?

Attachments

• el stud.jpg
    el stud.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 24