Let’s give it a whirl..FNG

Well I have been browsing the site for a little while and I am ready to jump on in. It is nice to see people being able to talk and not getting pounced on. So here it goes…

My name is Matt and I am in my mid 30s from Carbondale, Illinois (no that’s not close to Chicago. Southern Illinois not Illinois, there is a difference 😂). I have lived here my whole life doing different types of hunting and outdoor recreation. Deer (archery,shotgun) for most of my life casually and did a stent chasing waterfowl for many years. Waterfowl has shifted paths in the flyway and numbers are down. Therefore I don’t use any of my increasingly valuable time to fight the young guns to get a good spot that isn’t good like it used to be. I have ramped up my whitetail hunting over the last few years getting more serious with age.

Now on to my new found passion! I would have a hard time believing that too many western hunting newbies are as obsessed as I have been. It started in the fall of 2020 when my in-laws invited me to join them on a Colorado trip for 2021. Western hunting was something I always wanted to do and this got me kick started.

I have fallen in love with the process! I have been bad about changing hobbies over the years but feel I have found myself. I have been able to ball up many things I love into one passion. Hunting, adventure, shooting, exercise, eating good, and learning! I have lived EVERY SINGLE DAY since the invite trying to drown myself in the western hunting lifestyle. In my first year I read half a dozen books (including Robby’s book which I loved), couple hundred podcasts, threads, maps, gear reviews, you name it. I have pushed my mind and body to new levels and conquered things I never imagined…and I am just getting started.

I can’t put into words the life changing experience I have had during my first adventure to the west. I wish I could spend more time in the mountains but someday I will figure out how to do that. Until then I will not miss a draw or an opportunity to stretch my legs as high as I can.

I hope to be value to someone along the way if not for anything but at least some encouragement. I am currently planning my short and long term hunts for backcountry Mulies and eventually some elk. If anyone has any Illinois whitetail questions feel free to reach out.