Let’s have discussion about temperature and how it affects bear movement.

MHWASH

WKR
I’m pretty sure I’m over thinking this cooler weather, but it’s got me concerned. We’ve hunted the same area in north central Idaho for the last 4 years at the same time of year. We always see bears, but this year the temps are forecast to be in the low 60s as opposed to 80s we typically see. Can I expect the bear movement to be any different? I can only imagine they will be more likely to be out and about all day with the lower temps.

Wrench

WKR
In my experience temp effect on bears is confused with temp effect on vegetation. Every spring bear I've watched was chewing every time it could.

As always, chase the green.

I’m pretty sure I’m over thinking this cooler weather, but it’s got me concerned. We’ve hunted the same area in north central Idaho for the last 4 years at the same time of year. We always see bears, but this year the temps are forecast to be in the low 60s as opposed to 80s we typically see. Can I expect the bear movement to be any different? I can only imagine they will be more likely to be out and about all day with the lower temps.
low 60's is about ideal imo.... like mentioned above, the effects of lower temps on their food source is a bigger deal, but that's also likely to work in your favor knowing that... when there isn't much green, it can be good when you find those little pockets of feed, concentrates bear, but you do have to be more deliberate in strategy

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
Where I hunt and where I live Are about the same elevation. Before this cold snap here at the house we had pretty good green up, typical. I’m going to assume the same for our hunt area. As long as we don’t get too much precipitation, I think this will be a great hunt with the cooler weather.

Wrench

WKR
Iirc, you're in the palouse and I hunt very similar area to you in Idaho. I tend to get excited from the last few days of April through the first of June.