Let's hear about pack rafts and float trips

Gobbler36

WKR
Wasn't sure where to throw this in under gear, but long story short is I want to start doing some float trips with family and specifically want to start utilizing this method for hunting. For starters I have "0" experience on rowing down rivers so I know I have a good deal of education on that end, but what I'd like to know is what are some other pieces of advice on doing these sort of trips? Also what is a good packraft that is somewhat budget conscious?

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I can't speak specifically to floating AND hunting, but there is a lot of float trip info in the caribou and moose sections. I have been a whitewater kayaker for a number of years, several of those as a seasonal raft guide and/or safety kayaker. If you're starting with zero river experience I'd say you'd get good safety info from a whitewater forum like mountainbuzz. Moving water is nothing to mess with. If you're serious about taking the family I'd suggest a swiftwater rescue class. You may not utilize everything you learn in the class, but I guarantee you won't regret it if you get in a bind. You'll also learn about issues/potential hazards you wouldn't have thought about otherwise. Larry Bartlett sells packrafts on his site, which has a forum attached, and may likely chime in here. I am not trying to steer you either way, but I'd make sure you look into a raft/frame setup over packrafts if you think you'd end up doing more family trips than solo float/hunt trips.

OregonInAlaska

Lil-Rokslider
I've been thinking the same thing.
I've got 20+ years of whitewater experience, but no pack raft experience.
I've been looking into a pack raft for accessing some sheep country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
In the future I could see more family trips being a priority, but with my kids being young I'm likely going to focus on solo or buddy team float trips. The above is great advice and something I've thought a lot about when my mind is on this topic especially doing remote wilderness trips don't want to mess around and not have some sort of training. Does anyone know of some good classes or trainings in the Boise ID, south east ID, or Jackson hole areas?

Aside from your normal hunting gear what other critical pieces of gear do you bring that you would consider a specialty for this sort of trip?

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I figured more people might chime in. If you want to talk specifics on gear for floating shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to exchange phone numbers and talk if you'd like. I've spent a lot of time looking at everything from PFD's, wetsuits, drysuits, paddles, safety gear, dry bags, etc.

if you are in the boise area, see if cascade or maravia have any rental boats and try them out.
like rklein, i have a lot of whitewater expierence, from guiding to kayaking and love multi day raft trips. If you want to get your feet wet on a wilderness multi day with out the hassle of pulling a permit, check out the lower salmon float. just researching that will clue you into alot of the variables you would have to deal with.

WKR
Definitely jump on mountainbuzz.com, tons of info and their used gear swap is a great place to score gear.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

the grand rhonde is another good starter multi day. I believe the town is merriman, Oregon. they rent rafts and have all the gear to try out a multi day.