Let’s here everyone’s opinion on which caliber they would get for a all round rifle?

Elite

WKR
Hey everyone, I currently have a older 30-06 which I have been using on elk/moose around home. Shots have all been under 450 yards and currently have a lightweight 7mm-08 for my mountain sheep hunting rifle ( haven’t shot a sheep yet with it). Very light weight and compact with a 20” barrel,

I have been contemplating getting a larger caliber but a lightweight rifle still and using a muzzle break. I sheep hunt in a very high grizzly density area so I am always worried with the 7mm-08 if it would be enough to stop a charging grizzly.

I am considering getting a savage 110 ultralight in either the 300 wsm or a 280Ai. The 6.5 PRC seems a little to light for elk and moose? Hoping to have just one all around hunting rifle and still keeping it really light

c90be5da2c414dbece24d237b51d8bcc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d probably opt for a 20” 7-08 over a 26” 300wm for grizz protection. Either one will work with the right shot placement, it may be a little easier to get that shot with a shorter gun.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
caliber .30
Any of numerous cartridges

My choice would be 300WM
-lots of real good rifles available new and used
-relatively easy to obtain ammo and/or reload a competent hunting round
-can be manageable in a lighter weight hunting rifle (a relative term and subject to personal limits)

However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a properly equipped 30.06
There is also nothing wrong with owning another rifle :cool:

personal choice, but none of my hunting rifles wear a muzzle break

Take your 7mm-08 and grab a box of solids (ex: Barnes TTSX). Walk around with the solids in it. If a ram pops up fairly close you should be close enough (zero wise) to kill it. If it is further, then you will have time to swap out ammo. Save your money and buy a better scope (depending on what you currently have) and/or more ammo.

If you're looking for a reason to buy a new firearm then awesome. I do have a Savage Ultralight and I love it. However, I will not buy another one as is not better than my Tikkas nor lower priced Savages; the Proof barrel is pretty though.

I'd ignore "common knowledge" and "expert advice" when it comes to what to buy. I do recommend actually looking at ballistics and then start to make a decision. A lot of "knowledge" is out dated and/or flat out wrong. Attached is the ballistics for my 6.5 PRC solely for reference. But lots of damn good recommendations have been provided in other posts.

6_5_PRC.PNG

No matter what, practice for the undesired event. Most folks bring a monster magnum for "just in case" but 1) are scared of their rifle and 2) never practice getting a split second shot off. It was an eye opener for me to see how long it takes to un-shoulder a rifle, chamber a round, take it off safe, acquire a target and take the CNS shot. That was with a stationary target. But with practice my time dropped dramatically and my first shot CNS hit percentage went up a lot. Still no moving target but I had to make do with what I had.

jpmulk

WKR
I think you are just fine with a 7-08. Bigger calibers just give you more margin for error for not putting the bullet where it needs to go. But a 7-08 kicks less. Making it easier to be accurate.

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I have to agree with the others saying 300wsm. For medium sized game I would load up a 150 grain AB or TTSX for larger game I would take a 168 or 180 grain. Or wait for this new 7prc to come out.

I also have to agree with the suggestion that the 30.06 with say a 168 gr TTSX and you're comfortable and efficient working that rifle could be better than a couple of hundred ft/lbs down range.

I used to hunt with a Tikka M695 25.06, I was a one gun man. It printed one hole groups with 100 gr TTSX. It was heavy with Leupold 3-9*50 on it, recoil was nil. I think I would take that rifle any day in a grizzly encounter. It was only 100 gr pill but it was going where I wanted and a follow-up would be coming shortly after. I miss that gun.

All that being said, I hunt grizzly country with a 7-08 and don't worry. I also have my bear spray on my chest if I think there is a good chance of an encounter or in the side of my pack if I'm less concerned.