Let’s here everyone’s opinion on which caliber they would get for a all round rifle?

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
You have every gun you need now. Weight of the rifle is always going to be lighter is better on a hunt. May kick like a mule yet most hunts you have more than a t-shirt on and should only need one or two shots.

As for animal attacks, a rifle is a piss poor option. I was turkey hunting and was in place as the sun rose in the NW. I had scouted the prior evening and picked a large hemlock tree I could lean back on and watch a natural bowl area that had been used by turkeys to dust. Rained overnight and as daylight kicked in I could see a animal track as big as my palm. No claw marks so a cat, cougar for sure rather than a bobcat. I had a 30" 12 gauge. While sitting on the ground. Large tree blocking behind me. If that cougar crept up behind me then attacked the "calling turkey" there is no way I could get a shot off as need two hands free while a cougar is biting and clawing.

Get some bear spray or a handgun. Strapped to your chest. All the time. Don't take it off then decide to move a few feet to glass then a few feet more then you are too far to ever get to it. If you decide to shoot at 40 yards which assumes you see the attacking animal then not much the 7mm won't hurt that a .30-06 will that a .338 would. Now, if you shift up into the .40+ zone with a skull-smacking wad-cutter resembling a lug nut then you are changing the odds.

Otter86

FNG
.308 ammunition is plentiful and you can subsonic if you want. Big enough to kill about anything

ldmay375

FNG
Hey everyone, I currently have a older 30-06 which I have been using on elk/moose around home. Shots have all been under 450 yards and currently have a lightweight 7mm-08 for my mountain sheep hunting rifle ( haven’t shot a sheep yet with it). Very light weight and compact with a 20” barrel,

I have been contemplating getting a larger caliber but a lightweight rifle still and using a muzzle break. I sheep hunt in a very high grizzly density area so I am always worried with the 7mm-08 if it would be enough to stop a charging grizzly.

I am considering getting a savage 110 ultralight in either the 300 wsm or a 280Ai. The 6.5 PRC seems a little to light for elk and moose? Hoping to have just one all around hunting rifle and still keeping it really light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From the two that you listed as your considerations, and I wanted a new rifle/cartridge; the 300 WSM would be my pick.

TheGDog

WKR
Assuming a freehand standing up shot you'd have to make in the presence of a Bear charging in... wouldn't matter so much if it was a bigger rifle. When you shoot them standing/freehand, and especially with adrenalin, you're not gonna remember/feel the recoil much. and freestanding your upper torso can rock back a lil and absorb the energy nicely. Much different to when you're prone with the butt of that rifle up against a prone you that ain't movin anywhere.

From what I've seen of Grizz in vids, being inexperienced with being around them, even though I don't like a lotta recoil... bump that.. them things are DAMN big. I'd be making damn sure I'm hiking-in with "enough gun" and best believe the 10mm would stay on my chest.