Let's say you get sick.

Do you continue to do your workouts, do you throttle them back to heal or do you quit until you heal? I got a nasty cold about 10 days ago and I throttled back on my PT. I don't want to lose any fitness I have gained but I don't want my body to get more weak from not healing. I still cannot hear well and I fear that I will have to go to the doctor's office for some nuclear strength antibiotics.

What is your take on this?

a3dhunter

WKR
Throttle back and wait, if not getting better then take a few days off. By that time I've went to the doctor as well because I don't like being sick at all.
This close to season if not seeing improvements in two days I would head to the Dr.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Yeah, you are probably right. I just made an appointment. Last time I had Z-pack and it didn't work. Then they gave me a stronger one and it didn't work. Then they gave me a third one and it finally worked. :(

Lawnboi

WKR
get the rest you need, no sense in beating your body. I hate getting sick cause i do end up not working out at all to try to get better as soon as i can.

a3dhunter

WKR
Yeah, you are probably right. I just made an appointment. Last time I had Z-pack and it didn't work. Then they gave me a stronger one and it didn't work. Then they gave me a third one and it finally worked. :(

Do you remember the name of what did work? That might be a suggestion for the dr when he goes to prescribe something.

With me, I never know what will work. Z-pack may work one time and then not the next. Same with other meds.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think you benefit much working out to much if you are that sick. Your body is using many of its resources to fight off the infection, the last thing it wants is to try and build muscle or endurance. Rest is always best for me.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Sleep.

That is correct. Anyone that is a parent of a sick child knows where this is going. My daughter was sick last weekend and I had to relieve my wife. End of story.

Stress at work and home doesn't help either.

Yes I know what works and it is also in their records.

Throttle them back to heal. It's what the body needs to help heal. Otherwise it just seems to draw out and linger the illness. It's what I tell my kids, wife and family as well and they all have no problem reminding me of that when they see me sick too :).

sk1

WKR
I read in men's health while sick a light workout may actually benefit recovery.....but they stressed light and not taxing your body on the workout, make sure you get plenty of fluids and rest is what I read.

Lucky you only got a cold I got hand foot and mouth disease from my one year old and I got it bad....all my preparation has come to a complete stop and I can barely function and my hunt opens in ten days.......

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get the rest your body needs, even if you have to slow down or stop your workouts. I got sidelined by a terrible cold the middle of July, and it took me almost a week to feel well enough to do anything that required any kind of stamina, and another 10 days or more after that to clear the congestion and shortness of breath. I tried to do some lit walking when I felt up to it, but there was no way I could really push myself...my body was working to hard to fight the virus.

Leaving tomorrow for our first hunt of the season, my dall sheep trip. I wish I could have been hitting the exercise harder the last three weeks, but I am grateful to be feeling healthy and that might not have happened if I hadn't slowed down. Glad I started training early this season, rather than putting it off till the last minute :)

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is nothing worse than getting sick during hunting season....! I will go to extremes to avoid others prior to a hunt if I believe they have a bug. As others noted, it is best to rest, get alot of fluids and maybe a light workout to not stress your body too much.