Let's see some boundary water deer!

SDHNTR

WKR
Agreed. Go there to fish, not hunt. Have some good buddies who are fine hunters who do a 10 day BW trip every year. They rarely see deer.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I've really wanted to try deer hunting in the BWCA. I've done a lot of summer and winter trips for fishing. I would want to go with a firearm and November can be a really tricky time up there if you get early ice. I could see camping on the edge and daytripping could work.

I will also add that I've seen more moose in the BWCA than deer.

Lol, I'm going to be watching this thread with interest, because I have a feeling it will be representative of what a persons actual results would be on such an endeavor. Was it Mark Kenyon that went up there last year? The outcome of that was about what I expected it would be, MN has deer, but up there isn't a place I would go out of my way to pursue them.

Northpark

WKR
Deer up there are few and far between. I worked up there for a couple years and we never found a shed antler or anything except the day I found this guy. It was a wolf kill I think. I cut the cap off and took it home. Gross score is 183”. Don’t think I ever actually saw a deer up there though.image.jpgimage.jpg

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Great fishing and lots and lots of wolves and bears. Not a ton of deer. Would love to see some photos though!

We hunt the farm lands/timber just a bit south of the border. Much different story on deer there. They are everywhere.

anyone interested should look up stu osthoff and his writings about BWCA deer hunting. There's deer there but it's not a "typical" deer hunt. There's guys that consistently shoot big deer in there but it's not by accident.

for that matter all of the BigWoodsBucks.com guys are really in another class of whitetail hunter when it comes to this style. No box blinds, no beer drinking and no food plots with them....

Does anyone know what the current typical deer density is in the BWCA? I have been researching for a potential future hunt, but haven’t found any recent numbers. I’m thinking it can’t be any worse than where I hunt here in VT, but that’s true of most anywhere. Lol

VernAK

WKR
I have a deer camp west of BWCA a stretch and the wolves have about wiped out the deer. We don't bother to hunt it anymore. A fellow Slider lives at Grand Marais and his hunting has been poor lately for the same reason.

SKanez

FNG
I have a deer camp west of BWCA a stretch and the wolves have about wiped out the deer. We don't bother to hunt it anymore. A fellow Slider lives at Grand Marais and his hunting has been poor lately for the same reason.
Vern, I hunt with that gentleman near Grand Marais and can vouch for that.

BRoth82

WKR
We used to hunt up that way a lot and have taken nice bucks but, what we found is it's a timing thing. We rifle hunt and if you can get 4"-6" of snow and have the ground frozen we did very well.

The nice thing up there is that the deer we hunted rarely saw a person if ever, so if you jumped one it would only bound a short distance, we would key in on beaver ponds that were dry is where we saw the most action.

But I would saw that deer densities are not accurate, it maybe 1 per square mile average, but you can go miles without cutting a track, then hit a pocket where there might be 3-5 deer hanging around a small area.

We quit hunting up there around 2009 ish, so can't speak now a days, but my mom does live in the middle of the Echo trail and they haven't seen near the number of deer they have around that 2010-2015 time frame.