Let's see some Traditional Harvests! (Muzzleloader)

CoHiCntry

WKR
I've enjoyed seeing all the posts on the traditional archery harvests thread and thought it would be cool to see everyone's traditional muzzleloader harvest pics! If you got a pic, post it up with some information on your muzzleloader and load. And don't be afraid to post up those doe and small game pics as well... the traditional archery guy's aren't ;)

nphunter

WKR
I've enjoyed seeing all the posts on the traditional archery harvests thread and thought it would be cool to see everyone's traditional muzzleloader harvest pics! If you got a pic, post it up with some information on your muzzleloader and load. And don't be afraid to post up those doe and small game pics as well... the traditional archery guy's aren't ;)

Like flint locks only?

I use an inline but it is OR legal so open ignition, open sights, black powder and no sabbots, I wouldn't personally consider it a traditional muzzle loader though unless it is round ball, black powder and flint lock.

OP
CoHiCntry

CoHiCntry

WKR
Percussion sidelock & flintlock rifles was my intent. No rules though! If someone feels traditional because they use open sights, loose powder, and conicals, in an inline, that's fine. Hopefully no one would have anything negative to say about it... only a congratulatory reply. No ones going to Rokslide jail if someone else doesn't think they are traditional enough ;)

Last edited:

nphunter

WKR
Here’s one from last fall. My first muzzleloader animal. My boys both have whitetail tags this fall and I’ll hopefully have a couple more pics in a few weeks.

I borrowed the gun last year but have since purchased my own and am planning on starting to do almost all of my deer hunting with a muzzleloader moving forward.
1FC894D1-6E94-42CF-AAB4-3A7996A7C83E.jpeg

OP
CoHiCntry

CoHiCntry

WKR
Love the pic! Thanks for posting! I'm usually to chicken to bring out the muzzleloader for deer during the November rut which is when I usually hunt mule deer. Too afraid to see a big boy I can't shoot because it's in rifle range. I've killed deer in the September muzzleloader season but that was years ago. I almost alway's hunt deer in the rifle season anymore.

WKR

Got this one this year. 58 cal roundball. Had watched some deer for a day and a half in an ag field. They would never wander in range so waited for some good high winds and walked in on them. Got to 20 yards before this guy jumped up. Thanks to the wind he wasn't sure and stopped at 40 yards. Boom.

WKR
This one bedded in some little bluestem and could see his head and rack from a few hundred yards. Did a long stalk to get crosswind of him. Was sitting there trying to figure out how to close from 200 yards on a flat field when I noticed a larger than normal clump of bluestem about 80 yards from him. Got on hands and knees and crawled to that clump keeping it between us. Got situated, and in sitting position butt scooted to side where I had a better view. Mouth grunted, he stuck his head up higher and shot him in the neck. He never got up.

WKR
Was sitting in some tall prairie grass and this buck and a dink came out on their way to a corn field. The dink noticed my head and just had to come in. Got to about 8 yards and blew out taking the larger buck with him. Close to same spot 4 days later and this one walked into 22 yards for me. Just barely had the wind right but rolled the dice and somehow he missed me. 54 caliber on this one too. At 22 yards he was dead in his tracks.

I’ve killed a bunch of deer and pigs with a muzzleloader, but I bought my first traditional muzzleloader last year. I found a Thompson Center Hawken “Cougar” 50 cal built in 1983. The barrel wasn’t in the best shape, so I replaced it with Green Mountain LRH 50 barrel. I didn’t get to hunt with it last year, so that was my goal for this year. Once again, I was unsuccessful during the OK muzzleloader season, so I made it my goal to take a doe here in east TX. On my first 4 hunts, I only saw young bucks, but finally on the 5th hunt, I had a doe come within 50 yards.
D7646B9D-D98F-4691-80B1-9A0009218B2E.jpeg

This one bedded in some little bluestem and could see his head and rack from a few hundred yards. Did a long stalk to get crosswind of him. Was sitting there trying to figure out how to close from 200 yards on a flat field when I noticed a larger than normal clump of bluestem about 80 yards from him. Got on hands and knees and crawled to that clump keeping it between us. Got situated, and in sitting position butt scooted to side where I had a better view. Mouth grunted, he stuck his head up higher and shot him in the neck. He never got up.
that's a good looking rifle. The buck is nice too

lonedave

WKR
85EEEBA5-1ACF-4FD6-9E9E-11956E027429.jpegSeptember 26th here in Washington, Snake River Breaks. Thompson Center Hawken with a .62 Green Mountain barrel rifled 1:72 and .595 ball over 90 gr of Goex 2f. I sneaked up and sat on the top of the basalt outcrop 25 yards away for over 3 hours waiting for him to stand. He was bedded in the dark spot, with a doe and fawn just to the right of the picture. They kept me from being able to get further out and get a shot. When they finally got up and moved, the buck stood up. Luckily I managed to stay awake and alert!EB94337A-C97C-4776-B14C-71DBED362DE5.jpeg

Last edited: