Let's see those 375's

OP
marshland_max
This is great stuff guys! I got about a month before I'll be carrying mine for an official test run 😆

I have a first run 375 Ruger Alaskan and replaced the hogue stock with a ruger factory composite stock and now it handles so much better. I also have a Winchester Classic Safari in 375 H&H I used in Africa in 2006 to great effect. In addition, I have a Match Grade Arms in 375 H&H w/ a 24" barrel + brake that weighs under 5 pounds...but shoots like a 270. I have two 375 caliber TC single shots, a custom ss Encore in 378GNR w/13" braked bull barrel using the 405 Winchester case also used to great effect in Africa and a custom ss Contender in 375GNR w/9" barrel using the 445 SuperMag case(both are bottlenecked cases), as well as a Dan Wesson long framed revolver in 375 SuperMag sporting a 7.5" VR barrel. Lots to like about a .375

With the exception of MNTC, how far is the 375 good for in your guys opinions? Elk sized critters. Seems like the perfect 500 yard kill all rifle?
I personally would definitely not go beyond that. 500yds on my system puts me right around 1500-1600 Ftlb. An additional 100yds, 600 yds and I barely break 1250 ftlbs. Lots of bullet drop at that distance also.

tak

WKR
I personally would definitely not go beyond that. 500yds on my system puts me right around 1500-1600 Ftlb. An additional 100yds, 600 yds and I barely break 1250 ftlbs. Lots of bullet drop at that distance also.

300gr ??

My 300gr swift a frames, will really lose velocity and energy past 300, I haven't loaded any accubonds yet, but the 260gr look to be over 2000 ft lbs at 500 yards, and just under 2000 fps.
I'm sure the Barnes LRX and maybe the Hornady GMX are similar. I'm sure there are guys that have a lot more experience than I.

I did manage to shoot my a frames to 300 by holding on the thick part of the duplex without much problem, and that is with a 1.5-5 Leupold. My 375 is at the smith now, and I'm lightening it up some with the intent of making it an all around shooter with 260gr accubonds. With a new 2-10x that can actually dial, I fully expect to shoot 500, at least on steel. It'll be fun to find out in any event!

OP
marshland_max
Oh Id agree with using the 260 gr accubond a fair ways out. 400-500 yards would be no issue.
Im using 250s and i will take a 400 yard shot if needed. Lots of power with the 375.

The 375 really is a jewel once you get dialed in.

I wont be using mine on anything bigger than deer until 2022, but im gonna make sure all system are go!

I sgould be able to test a few rounds this week at the range. I'll post results!

TSnave

FNG
Several years ago a buddy gave me 50 pieces of 375 H&H brass and a couple hundred bullets. Sounded like a good excuse for a new rifle to me! I'm a sucker for Ruger No. 1's so I found a lightly used 1H for a decent price, but that's as far as I've gone with it. I need to work up a load and do some hunting with it.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I bought my 375H&H over twenty-years ago, and its been my carry rifle every single fall up here in Alaska ever since.

I'm a lefty, so there weren't many options for me, but this original A-Bolt has been just awesome. I did some modifications, e.g., Lilja barrel and McMillan stock. I handload 270grn TSX's with RL-15, and that combination sure seems to be a match made in heaven for my rifle...I've recovered very few bullets over the years. I've been fortunate to have taken many moose and a few grizzlies with that rifle and load...it has been (and will continue to be) a solid and reliable work-horse for me. View attachment 334983View attachment 334984

And just three weeks ago, one shot through the cervical vertebrae at 200yds and he dropped immediately to the ground DRT...
View attachment 334987

Since a few of you guys are talking bullet choices and performance, I thought I'd add a picture of my 270grn TSX recovered from the bull in this picture...
IMG_4964.jpg

...as mentioned previously, it was a 200yd shot. The bull was standing broadside/partially quartering towards me and looking directly at me. The bullet entered around the third or fourth cervical vertebrae, traveled a couple inches down the spine, then exited and was lodged just under the hide on the far side. As said previously, I've recovered very few of these over the years, so this was a treasure. I handload, and I'm getting pretty much right at 2800fps out of a 24" barrel.

Last edited:

Grumman

WKR
Here’s mine. A Pre64 custom. This thread is inspiring me to get it out into the deer woods.

2d4af5c14cc4c5555c05cf724892068f.jpg

06f2fc4d71f312c6aeb3f28aa85b3a9b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot

FNG
This is a great thread. I was going to moose hunt with a 223, but now I'm thinking 375 is the way to go. All joking aside, how are they to shoot?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This is a great thread. I was going to moose hunt with a 223, but now I'm thinking 375 is the way to go. All joking aside, how are they to shoot?

I don’t mind mine but it depends on the stock. I had a weatherby vanguard dangerous game in 375HH and it was brutal to shoot. It scoped most people who shot it and took skin off peoples hands. My Remington is like 2 lbs lighter ~7.5 lbs and it’s not bad at all. I wouldn’t want to shoot it all day long but I have no trouble practicing with it before the season . My m70 stainless classic is closer to 9lbs and it’s not bad either.

ldmay375

FNG
The 270 grain TSX is, and has been for several years my bullet of choice. I and my son have had excellent results with it on moose, hand-loaded in 375 Rugers. I do have some of the 270 grain LRX’s that I want to try.

Since a few of you guys are talking bullet choices and performance, I thought I'd add a picture of my 270grn TSX recovered from the bull in this picture...
View attachment 340084

...as mentioned previously, it was a 200yd shot. The bull was standing broadside/partially quartering towards me and looking directly at me. The bullet entered around the third or fourth cervical vertebrae, traveled a couple inches down the spine, then exited and was lodged just under the hide on the far side. As said previously, I've recovered very few of these over the years, so this was a treasure. I handload, and I'm getting pretty much right at 2800fps out of a 26" barrel.

ldmay375

FNG
Of course the felt recoil varies with the individual, rifle weight, and the fit of the rifle. But, I don’t recall shooting any 375 H&H’s or Rugers that I thought were punishing. If I did, I would not be shooting them.

I have definitely had smaller bore rifles that I thought were less fun to shoot than the 375’s.

My moose hunting is in an area that distances vary from, to near in your face to maximum 225 yds. The 20” barrel 375 Ruger with 270 grain TSX hand-loads work very well for me. I also have 375 H&H’s with 21-24” barrels.