Let's see those plow trucks

Sandstrom

WKR
Starting to go down the plow rabbit hole now. Anyone have a plow on their daily driver? How much trouble to take it on and off?
I am a big fan of the boss v plows, I currently have them on 7 trucks. They are incredibly easy to put on and off, thirty seconds is no joke. I have found them to be pretty reliable for the amount of abuse my guys put them through! For the record I have also used western and leo (still have 2 leo plows on trucks) plows. Nothing wrong with the westerns, just not as good of dealer support by me. Please feel free to pm me with any questions!
Ryan

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
d5cf6d2b18c16a03be85fff6e2f7e989.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is Banner Summit which is between Lowman and Stanley on Idaho state highway 21. Its brutal sometimes.

Randy
Oh yeah, that section that runs north before turning back south towards Stanley? Several big slide paths in there.

Ok...so since you guys live with this white powdery stuff i got a question. Moving to wyoming....from Texas. Will be travelling 50% of time so high likelihood of driving up and having 2 weeks of accumulation. What do I need to be able to effectively clear out this this stuff if it packs down. Figure 200ft pea gravel road to the house. Running f150 as my normal driver. Trying to start figuring out what I need.

jlh42581

WKR
Ok...so since you guys live with this white powdery stuff i got a question. Moving to wyoming....from Texas. Will be travelling 50% of time so high likelihood of driving up and having 2 weeks of accumulation. What do I need to be able to effectively clear out this this stuff if it packs down. Figure 200ft pea gravel road to the house. Running f150 as my normal driver. Trying to start figuring out what I need.

In that situation youre going to need something with a bucket you can lift or a snowblower. Id personally want a skid steer or small tractor :D

Sandstrom

WKR
In that situation youre going to need something with a bucket you can lift or a snowblower. Id personally want a skid steer or small tractor :D
It might be nice to hire a service if you are going to be gone regularly, with that being said a good two stage snowblower (either stand alone or mounted to a yard tractor) would get through almost everything. Unless of course you are way up in the mountains.

Ryan

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Certainly. There's a couple sitting there right now. Almost closed it yesterday but cloud cover came in and stabilized the recent snow.

Randy

Honda with plow works for most snow. Compact tractor with bucket, chains and box scraper for when the 3’ plus wind drifts pile it deep. Also have a large Ariens walk behind snow thrower in garage so I can cut a path to shop on big storm days.

Attachments

• DCE4B3B1-DCEE-46A7-9FB3-0579B44B8E66.jpeg
    DCE4B3B1-DCEE-46A7-9FB3-0579B44B8E66.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 22
Where will the "plow" be? will you be leaving a snowmobile or something at the end of the driveway to get to the house when you are gone? or will you have a "plow" shack out at the end of the driveway that you keep your plow in. long story short, think about where you will have your stuff placed ahead of time. Also plow the first snow way farther back than you would think, so you leave room for the next storm ect.

also, if putting a plow on a truck that does not come with a snowplow prep package, can make your electrical, not work quite right. Your windshield wipers may not work when moving the plow, ect. Basically the alternator needs to be beefed up to handle the increase load. it is a very common mistake.

Thanks for the heads up. Figure I am going to have to do a tractor with a blower & blade or something looking at this year's snow. They got about 5ft packed down already in the valley. Was figuring front blower ( 2 stage ) and rear blade. It will be in a garage attached to house. Figure park truck on road...hike over to garage from road...open it up and then plow it clear to where I can pull the truck back into the garage on first night of return then clean up the rest the next day. If neighbor is cool with it park in his driveway while I plow a path in so I don't leave truck on road like a jackass.

I would love to do a plow on the truck but not sure how well an f150 would handle a plow and I've already got a front winch bumper setup which adds complications. Don't have a beefed up alternator for sure right now.

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider

I’d look for a cheap old truck has a plow and not register it. Or get a tractor. You might want to have someone plow it for you while you’re gone. You get 12” while gone and you’ll have a blast driving 200’ through it. If you make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly....already poking around to see if anyone can knock that out a day before I roll back in...I suspect it is all fun til you come back after a foot of wet stuff and it has packed down into ice....