Lets see your Alaskan Blacktails

That first picture there Steve reminded me a lot of of this area that I really enjoy hunting on Kodiak :)

upy4ubeq.jpg

Grundy53

WKR
I have a question for those that have hunted up there. What do you do for transportation once you get their? Can you rent a truck?

Stid2677

WKR
I have a question for those that have hunted up there. What do you do for transportation once you get their? Can you rent a truck?

If you fly into Kodiak, both Seahawk and Andrews have a driver that will run around for free to get what you need before they fly you out into the field. Once on the ground it is boots only. There are also boat based transporters that will move you from place to place, but the hunting again is on foot. Not much available from the Kodiak road system as most land is native owned or private.

You can rent a car on Kodiak, but they make you sign a waiver about blood and such in the cars..

The deer out in PWS is boat or plane access only mostly, some vehicle based areas in the South East, but I don't have any experience over that way.

Steve

Grundy53

WKR
If you fly into Kodiak, both Seahawk and Andrews have a driver that will run around for free to get what you need before they fly you out into the field. Once on the ground it is boots only. There are also boat based transporters that will move you from place to place, but the hunting again is on foot. Not much available from the Kodiak road system as most land is native owned or private.

You can rent a car on Kodiak, but they make you sign a waiver about blood and such in the cars..

The deer out in PWS is boat or plane access only mostly, some vehicle based areas in the South East, but I don't have any experience over that way.

Steve

Thank you! I am thinking more Prince of whales island. My grandparents lived near Thorne bay. I really like the area and want to go back. I definitely plan on wearing out boot leather just not sure how to get me and my gear out into the middle of nowhere.

Prince of Wales was a great time, but I can tell you right now that it was a pretty tough hunt. Could have been due to many things though, the fact it was our first time there, scouting via Google Earth and Topo maps with no real "boots on ground" experience, the fact that most of the Island is thicker than snot and you can't see very far and we didn't really know how to hunt them. I was told our timing was good, first two weeks of November. We hunted 9 days and I saw 5 deer while hunting dark to dark each day.

But, I would go back in a heart beat.

If you have family there and a place to stay, POW would be a great option. Fly to Ket, rent a truck and get on the ferry. Pretty easy.

Ray

WKR
IMG_0265.JPG

After getting to know Dalhberg, I decided to free up freezer space and let him deal with this old blacktail rack. It had been in my freezer since August 1999. Jessie sent it off to be freeze dried even though it was already partially freeze dried from being freezer burnt. The tips were still soft, the freeze drying hardened it all up. Jessie had to use a dremel tool to grind off the freezer burnt hide around the bases and across the skull plate. Its bigger than it looks

I took this buck on opening day before work when managing a project near Hoonah. It was the middle sized buck of the three we kept seeing every day on the way up to the job site. It walked right next to me as I sat on a log over looking a muskeg area. He made no sound behind me and was just right there at 10 feet to my right when he jumped over a log in front of me. I had to wait for him to walk a few yards before I could shoot. He was so fat it took two guys to drag him over the logs to get him back up to the road.

The strangest thing is that even though I had my work camera in my pack I never took any field photos. Too worried about one of the brown bears stopping by I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 100