Let’s see your bird vests.

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Show us your bird vests!

I’ve been rocking my Filson tin cloth game bag I purchased here for the last two seasons and love it for quick bird and small game trips close to the car.

I tuck my water bottle into the game pouch, run my shells in the left pocket and a little pouch with first aid stuff, a lighter, and any calls etc in the right.

Works well and keeps me from carrying too much, but I’m going to hit up some spots farther away from the trailhead this year and am thinking about picking up something a little more technical.

I’d love to see pics of your vests in action and hear what you like and don’t like about them!

1665366435681.jpeg
1665366491467.jpeg
1665366632198.jpeg

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
Badlands Upland vest. I was able to get it during a sale for half price. At that price it was a steal.

20201101_085626.jpg In that picture I have a 3L bladder with about 1.5L left in it, a 1L bottle for the dog, 3 pheasants and 2 quail in the game bag,, one shell pocket with 6-9 7shot loads and a pair of gloves, the other shell pocket with 6ish 5 shot loads, right lower rear pocket with my wallet and keys, lower middle pocket with vet wrap and a pair of sidecutters, left lower pocket with forceps and a bell, and top middle pocket with a small emergency med kit.

The vest is wearing alright, but going into the 3rd season it is starting to show a little wear. I plan to add a Final Rise sidekick this season for dog training and dove hunting.

I had a Filson but traded it when I saw those steel (brass?) tensioners on the straps that would certainly scratch my shotgun the way I carry during long pheasant hunts.
Enter the Bucks Bags Upland Bird Vest.
I really like it.
My son has the Orvis equivalent and it seems to work pretty well.
I wish the Bucks Bags orange sections were brighter.
Bucks Bags Upland Vest

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Badlands Upland vest. I was able to get it during a sale for half price. At that price it was a steal.

View attachment 467039 In that picture I have a 3L bladder with about 1.5L left in it, a 1L bottle for the dog, 3 pheasants and 2 quail in the game bag,, one shell pocket with 6-9 7shot loads and a pair of gloves, the other shell pocket with 6ish 5 shot loads, right lower rear pocket with my wallet and keys, lower middle pocket with vet wrap and a pair of sidecutters, left lower pocket with forceps and a bell, and top middle pocket with a small emergency med kit.

The vest is wearing alright, but going into the 3rd season it is starting to show a little wear. I plan to add a Final Rise sidekick this season for dog training and dove hunting.
Looks like it holds a ton! Does it ever feel too bulky or uncomfortable?
I had a Filson but traded it when I saw those steel (brass?) tensioners on the straps that would certainly scratch my shotgun the way I carry during long pheasant hunts.
Enter the Bucks Bags Upland Bird Vest.
I really like it.
My son has the Orvis equivalent and it seems to work pretty well.
I wish the Bucks Bags orange sections were brighter.
Bucks Bags Upland Vest
I’ve never heard of that company. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a nice set up.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
It was at full capacity that hunt! It's pretty light, not bulky at all. I have handled a few Final Rise vests and will probably go that route if this vest wears out, as they seem well built and I like the layout better. A lot of the reviews for the upland vest say they don't hold enough. I can pack enough for half a day hiking sandhills for grouse with mine.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
Dont have any pics but Final rise fit well, and hold a crazy amount of gear. I always carry a first aid kit, wire cutters, leash, TP, snacks and two water bottles and never know Im carrying anything really

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
The high end final rise and marsupial vests seem awesome but I think they are a little out of my league. Price wise and because I’m probably not as experienced and dedicated as some

Superdoo

WKR
Q5 Centerfire for me. I’ve had it for 6 years now.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Badlands vest. I wore it out in a single season, went right through the fabric in the pockets and the belt from pushing through brush.
I bought a Q5 Centerfire. I've been pretty happy with it, it's very modular. I wish the backpack attachment wasn't so "little school girl" cute. I could use something bigger for carrying my big puffy layers. Also, the beam-thing that is supposed to keep the bird bag part open - it never does. The beam just folds up under the weight, so I still have to forcefully shove my shot birds in there. Oh well, minor gripes.

My wife had a Bird'n'Lite bag. But, it was too small to hold a limit of ptarmigan and some hare. She'd have birds falling out while walking around. Also, blood would always leak through and stain her clothing.
So, she bought a Wing Works bag that she absolutely loves.

I've noticed that the Scandinavian ptarmigan hunters don't use American style bird "vests". They use a normal hiking backpack with a mesh sack on it, such as these from Lagopus. Also, video here.
Looks super weird to our eyes, but I'll bet our weird vests seem really strange to them.
I'm considering going this way to make carrying camera gear easier.

Last edited:
OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Badlands vest. I wore it out in a single season, went right through the fabric in the pockets and the belt from pushing through brush.
I bought a Q5 Centerfire. I've been pretty happy with it, it's very modular. I wish the backpack attachment wasn't so "little school girl" cute. I could use something bigger for carrying my big puffy layers. Also, the beam-thing that is supposed to keep the bird bag part open - it never does. The beam just folds up under the weight, so I still have to forcefully shove my shot birds in there. Oh well, minor gripes.

My wife had a Bird'n'Lite bag. But, it was too small to hold a limit of ptarmigan and some hare. She'd have birds falling out while walking around. Also, blood would always leak through and stain her clothing.
So, she bought a Final Rise bag that she absolutely loves.

I've noticed that the Scandinavian ptarmigan hunters don't use American style bird "vests". They use a normal hiking backpack with a mesh sack on it, such as these from Lagopus. Also, video here.
Looks super weird to our eyes, but I'll bet our weird vests seem really strange to them.
I'm considering going this way to make carrying camera gear easier.
I have some spots a few miles from the trailhead I want to hit up for quail and have thought about going with a hydration pack. The net is a good idea but things get bloody.

I used to use a Fanny pack for rabbit and squirrel and would put them into a game bag and attach to the outside. It worked okay but a vest is convenient

I don’t know if I could rationalize the q5 or wing works etc. I’m not as hardcore as some. I love my Filson for its nostalgia and simplicity, but something a little larger and more modular would be great for those hunts farther away from the truck.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Bird’n Lite for me. I’ve tried countless vests and that’s what I settled on. Had a guy I guided for years ago give me the strap version and was hooked. Load carrying is pretty solid, it has a waist belt under it to take some of the weight off your shoulders. I quit using the strap vest and got the full vest a few years ago, the strap vest doesn’t have the capacity I want for some of the bigger hunts. I’m not sure if they make them anymore though.

18915FF8-9DDC-416E-BC0E-6A08E94A1282.jpeg

Sock

FNG
I’ve got a final rise. Versatile for dog training to chukar hunting. Holds enough water for me and the dog plus snacks and gear. I used previous vests that had the weight on the shoulders and was happy to use a pack that focused the weight on my hips. I like aimlessly wondering so a one or two hour hunt usually turns into 6-8 hours meandering.

Even held a big horned ram dead head comfortably for the 3 mile hike back to the truck.

Buy once, cry once.

Attachments

• CF2205D7-A75C-48F0-A652-A50C3E8D0181.jpeg
    CF2205D7-A75C-48F0-A652-A50C3E8D0181.jpeg
    405.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 1CD8393A-4CDF-47AA-878D-CF03EAFC63C3.jpeg
    1CD8393A-4CDF-47AA-878D-CF03EAFC63C3.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 146

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought an Orvis Pro and being in the Midwest it works great. It has enough room for everything for the dog and I for 4-6 hours. For a $175 with a coupon I have no regrets. I found the marsupial like 6 months after buying my Orvis and would’ve probably went that route but I don’t over pack to an extreme with the Orvis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
09519F54-DC14-47D5-96C3-177DBF736783.jpeg
Not as traditional here but I use a Kifaru scout lumbar pack with a marsupial small bird bag attached to the Molle on the back. I’ve run the pack for years (bird bag new this season) and would never go back to a vest. It allows me to carry lots of water, first aid, layers, snacks and a pistol comfortably for lots of miles.

This is my first season using an ALPS Outdoorz Upland X. I was using4CEF4406-666F-4710-871D-D4D30A98F4C7.jpeg traditional vests or jackets with a game pouch but after the first season with my own dog last year I wanted more comfort and storage since I was carrying more for the dog.

So far I love it. Used it about 8 or so times this with an average of 5 or so miles on each outing. Besides the extra storage and comfort, it’s so nice being able to layer more appropriately for the weather or drop a layer and carry it easily if I have to. And since it’s easily adjustable I have been able to hunt in just a T-shirt all the way up to like 5 layers and a winter jacket.

Little things too like not having my water bottle floating around in my game pouch getting blood and stuff on it. I haven’t used the hydration pouch option yet but I do have a few if the mood strikes me. Also getting the handheld off of my neck and onto a shoulder strap, these little things make a big difference for me.

There are however two little useless water bottle holders that barely fit a typical 16oz water bottle. Also the little magnetic flaps to rest your gun on are useless. Would have been nice to put some molle webbing there instead. They just came out with a new version that may address some of these issues though.

One of these shows what I typically carry in the bag. Of course no shells pictured. E3917496-1C56-4E19-8A7D-7FEABA5356BC.jpeg810E7551-DF2F-41D0-A21A-B4BDDEDD0663.jpegC5B2BEB2-68CC-4F90-8B79-80229F6A1A79.jpeg

Attachments

• 4806BF5F-7A79-47A8-99F8-006BF1B9F824.jpeg
    4806BF5F-7A79-47A8-99F8-006BF1B9F824.jpeg
    456.7 KB · Views: 41
OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
We’ve got a couple of weeks left of quail season and I really want to get out one last time. But between kids, earthquakes, work, weather, and my wife starting a teaching credential program it’s been rough!

I think I’m going to try sewing a piece of canvas into my Filson game bag to keep a water bottle upright and might try a more technical vest next year.

The Filson is so minimalist and I like it for quick hunts close to the vehicle.

cjmikek

FNG
Was at Pheasant Fest in Minneapolis this last weekend and looked at quite a few vests. Ended up going with a Chief Upland vest. Really liked a lot of features on this vest. The ammo pouches all have magnetic closures. Makes digging in them and then getting them closed again super convenient. Also, I liked how you could add to the system for your needs. Hopefully, it holds up well.