Lets see your hunting/daily driver rig (Pics)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ that's what I've always thought, so when he mentioned a low front end due to bumper weight and not being able to run chains- I figured I better ask :)

my preference on past trucks was to run chains up front vs rear, but have always run them rear with the Tacoma due to lack of clearance

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
There is a recent thread on Tacoma world started by someone asking if they can put chains on the front. Just about everyone that responded said don’t do it because of UCA clearance.
I’ve got skinny 33s (255/85/16) on my taco and there is not enough space for chains in the front.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got really heavy duty chains and have only been putting them on the rear, but am wondering what about some kind of cable affair up front???

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
Slap em on and check the clearance. If you have aftermarket wheels that poke out or spacers, cables might work.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
using stock rims and slightly oversized tires (265/70/17- might start a post on TacomaWorld to see if anyone has had any luck- don't want to buy a set not knowing if they'll fit

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
you are correct, the upper control arm will likely get chewed up. Chains on the front are no bueno.
Oh man, the more you know. I had no idea front chains were a no-go on Tacomas. I appreciate the heads-up. This is my first toyota truck and I've owned it for less than a year.

Other than basic fitting in a parking lot, I have only run front chains once on this truck to crawl up a short icy run. In retrospect the tires were pointed straight ahead the whole time. My tires are an inch oversize at 265/70/17, so maybe that's why I didn't see immediate red flags with the control arms.

I got used to running chains all around on the F150s I drove before. I guess I'll just have to get used to making slightly better decisions about the roads I go down.

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
Oh man, the more you know. I had no idea front chains were a no-go on Tacomas. I appreciate the heads-up. This is my first toyota truck and I've owned it for less than a year.

Other than basic fitting in a parking lot, I have only run front chains once on this truck to crawl up a short icy run. In retrospect the tires were pointed straight ahead the whole time. My tires are an inch oversize at 265/70/17, so maybe that's why I didn't see immediate red flags with the control arms.

I got used to running chains all around on the F150s I drove before. I guess I'll just have to get used to making slightly better decisions about the roads I go down.
Tacoma’s are crazy capable and chains on the rear will get you where you need to go. Don’t worry about not knowing. I was glad I stumbled across that thread on TW or else I would have never known either. Like I said, I have pizza cutters and looking at the UCA clearance it’s extremely close. I guess I could have paid more attention to the owners manual (insert sheepish grin here).

Fatcamp

WKR
out of curiosity, I was always under the impression that chains up front were a no go for Tacomas (2nd gen anyways)?

seems like there wasn't a ton of room and and any turning was a high risk for taking out brake lines, interfering with control arms, etc

not true?

No way my 3rd Gen 4runner is getting chains up front.

Chains on back are pretty awesome, though.

Heres mine 2018 f150 6.5ft bed. I usually just run a piece of foam or my sleeping pad in the canopy if im solo but it can get crammed with 2 people and gear. Forgive the mess in the bed lol its been a long week..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210128-124311_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210128-124311_Gallery.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 126
  • 20200821_183744.jpg
    20200821_183744.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 20210128_125231.jpg
    20210128_125231.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 20210128_125354.jpg
    20210128_125354.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 120
You will get lots of opinions on vehicles but FYI. I am on my 3rd F150 without a shop visit. Love them. My hunting buddy just got his third one also with the 2.7. Can't pull anything. The dealer just had the engine out for the 3rd time in 1st 30K. Main seal leaks, warped heads etc. That engine needs to mature a while. A seasoned FORD mechanic said get the 5 liter. Tried and true. that said all 3 of mine were 3.7 EcoBoost with zero issues.
My 2018 has the updated 2.7 with 10 speed tranny and its had zero issues at all, lovin it. 51.5k miles currently. And it can tow quite a lot but its no diesel. Brother in law got the 3.5 a month after i got mine and has had several issues and 2 recalls

My daily driver is an ‘07 Impala, which allows me to keep this around for hunting, fishing, and towing. ‘01 2500hd with an 8.1L and an Allison. Took a few years to find this one but it’s only got 95k on it and honestly the 496 is only about 1-2 mpg worse than the 6.0 gas version I’ve got.

Attachments

• 667C7340-B259-4EFD-B4B0-4EBA2CF35A92.jpeg
    667C7340-B259-4EFD-B4B0-4EBA2CF35A92.jpeg
    427.7 KB · Views: 104

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
We've had it for 16+ years doing the exact thing in the picture and it has never once failed us. All over the West Texas mountains hunting mule deer and aoudad. Grew up hunting in that truck.

nobody

WKR
Don't have a photo of mine, but I drive a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71, bone stock and it's been a good truck. It was a tough pill to swallow after a lifetime of being a Ford guy with a dad and grandpa that about disowned me when I jumped ship on the Ford, but I'm glad I did.

I want to chime in on the Ecoboost. Personally, after owning one, I wouldn't touch another one with a 10 foot pole. I purchased a 2015 3.5 in June of 2019 with 65,000 miles on it. It was a 2015 XLT crew cab 4x4 with a leveling kit, oversized all terrain tires, oversized disk brakes and rotors, firestone airbag system on the rear, bed liner, and boy was she purrrrrrrrty.

Within the first 2 weeks of owning it, it sprung a serious timing cover leak. So it went back to the shop and they fixed it. They told me that the timing chains and cam system looked almost new while they were in there, so that made me feel good (momentarily) knowing that these are notorious for timing issues. About a week after that, I went out and started it to head to work and BUZZ, the timing chains rattled. So the supposedly "basically new" timing chains were rattling. It didn't do it always, but my 4 year old truck with less than 70k on it sounded like a clunker. I drove it for about 4,000 more miles, and was able to largely avoid much more rattling as long as I used an oil filter with a strong anti-drainback valve, like a NAPA Gold. But basically, the spring on the timing chain tensioners was totally trashed. But I drove it like that for the next 5 or 6 months, and it would rattle if I let it sit longer than about 12 hours without being driven. After 5 or 6 months, the timing cover started leaking again. Oh and through that 5 or 6 months, I changed the oil twice (2000 mile intervals for short tripping because I live close to my work), I lost about a quart of oil per oil change. In 4,000 miles, it burned off a total of 2 quarts of oil. With less than 70k miles.

About mid-December, while driving home from work one day, I lost 3rd and 4th gear. So back to the shop it went, where it had a brand new transmission installed. A week later, it had developed a misfire bad enough that I thought the new transmission was acting up. The plugs and ignition coils for those EB's were about $350 per cylinder, so pretty ridiculous. By January, I had had it with the truck. It had had $9,000 of repairs done within 7 months of ownership, plus a $350 payment every month. It had enough dumped into it to pay cash for half of the GMC I traded it in for in January. When I traded it in, after the trade was done, the shop tech at the dealership looked up the VIN for the F150 and showed me all of the work that had been done under warranty prior to me buying it:

Both Turbos had been replaced twice
4 oil leaks
Transfer Case
Timing Chain, Tensioners, and Variable Cam System once
Rear End Rebuild

I talked to him about it, and he said that's pretty much par for the course with the Ecoboost's they take in on trade at the Larry H. Miller dealerships. They just are asking too much of a small engine, even if it is turbocharged. At the end of the day, it's a 2.7 or 3.5 liter V6 in a full sized truck. Heck, my Mom drives a Honda Pilot with a 3.5L V6, and her and my dad wouldn't DREAM of ever towing with it, but we do it all the time with the Ecoboosts.

My dad drives a 2019 and has about 35K on his and his timing chain already rattles every now and then if the truck has sat for too long. Ford says to wait until it does it every day before he needs to worry, but man that would drive me nuts on a $60k truck personally.

That 5.0 Coyote engine is pretty sweet, but even they have some issues with uneven cylinder wear. I'll just say one of the most relieving days of my life was the day I got rid of the Ecoboost.

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
What ply tires you running Biscuit?
I am honestly not sure. My pops has always called them 'Airplane' tires. The tires have a really thick/heavy tread heat welded to them. I do not know that much about the process. I just know we drive over some crazy shit and never get flats. Only flat I've ever seen in 17 years was because we drove over a small mesquite tree in the flats and somehow it got the tire in the sidewall.

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
Don't have a photo of mine, but I drive a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71, bone stock and it's been a good truck. It was a tough pill to swallow after a lifetime of being a Ford guy with a dad and grandpa that about disowned me when I jumped ship on the Ford, but I'm glad I did.

I want to chime in on the Ecoboost. Personally, after owning one, I wouldn't touch another one with a 10 foot pole. I purchased a 2015 3.5 in June of 2019 with 65,000 miles on it. It was a 2015 XLT crew cab 4x4 with a leveling kit, oversized all terrain tires, oversized disk brakes and rotors, firestone airbag system on the rear, bed liner, and boy was she purrrrrrrrty.

Within the first 2 weeks of owning it, it sprung a serious timing cover leak. So it went back to the shop and they fixed it. They told me that the timing chains and cam system looked almost new while they were in there, so that made me feel good (momentarily) knowing that these are notorious for timing issues. About a week after that, I went out and started it to head to work and BUZZ, the timing chains rattled. So the supposedly "basically new" timing chains were rattling. It didn't do it always, but my 4 year old truck with less than 70k on it sounded like a clunker. I drove it for about 4,000 more miles, and was able to largely avoid much more rattling as long as I used an oil filter with a strong anti-drainback valve, like a NAPA Gold. But basically, the spring on the timing chain tensioners was totally trashed. But I drove it like that for the next 5 or 6 months, and it would rattle if I let it sit longer than about 12 hours without being driven. After 5 or 6 months, the timing cover started leaking again. Oh and through that 5 or 6 months, I changed the oil twice (2000 mile intervals for short tripping because I live close to my work), I lost about a quart of oil per oil change. In 4,000 miles, it burned off a total of 2 quarts of oil. With less than 70k miles.

About mid-December, while driving home from work one day, I lost 3rd and 4th gear. So back to the shop it went, where it had a brand new transmission installed. A week later, it had developed a misfire bad enough that I thought the new transmission was acting up. The plugs and ignition coils for those EB's were about $350 per cylinder, so pretty ridiculous. By January, I had had it with the truck. It had had $9,000 of repairs done within 7 months of ownership, plus a $350 payment every month. It had enough dumped into it to pay cash for half of the GMC I traded it in for in January. When I traded it in, after the trade was done, the shop tech at the dealership looked up the VIN for the F150 and showed me all of the work that had been done under warranty prior to me buying it:

Both Turbos had been replaced twice
4 oil leaks
Transfer Case
Timing Chain, Tensioners, and Variable Cam System once
Rear End Rebuild

I talked to him about it, and he said that's pretty much par for the course with the Ecoboost's they take in on trade at the Larry H. Miller dealerships. They just are asking too much of a small engine, even if it is turbocharged. At the end of the day, it's a 2.7 or 3.5 liter V6 in a full sized truck. Heck, my Mom drives a Honda Pilot with a 3.5L V6, and her and my dad wouldn't DREAM of ever towing with it, but we do it all the time with the Ecoboosts.

My dad drives a 2019 and has about 35K on his and his timing chain already rattles every now and then if the truck has sat for too long. Ford says to wait until it does it every day before he needs to worry, but man that would drive me nuts on a $60k truck personally.

That 5.0 Coyote engine is pretty sweet, but even they have some issues with uneven cylinder wear. I'll just say one of the most relieving days of my life was the day I got rid of the Ecoboost.
Man, sounds like a bad egg. May be more than just yours, but I drive the Sh*t out of mine and hasn't had much of a problem at all. 2015 XLT 3.5 ecoboost fx4 bought with 29K miles. I have it up to 150K and it has not had any major issues. Just my experience.

Bhanes

FNG
‘03 Cummins one ton with 225k miles.
869b8306cfed928d834f80d7fe5c1571.jpg

a9e99cc7afae86fab8d29f013e5e79ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What does the camper do to the fuel mileage?