Lets see your hunting/daily driver rig (Pics)

Vandy321

WKR
do you have the ARB skid plate? looking for a useful full skid plate for my tundra, and it's all hard to sort out.... like asking about a bow or rifle cartridge on a hunting forum.
RCI fullskids...not an expert, id go with the cheapest that fit...steel is steel

Well, I brought home my reason for a new pickup today. Gonna do a good amount of work to the tundra, starting with suspension and a skid plate and rock sliders so I don’t trash it right away (spring bear is just around the corner!)

i will see how things look after suspension but may put air bags in it too, my boat squats it a little bit, it’s a little over 6k lbs empty

Attachments

• 23105646-9972-4F5C-B539-DDFAF445154C.jpeg
    23105646-9972-4F5C-B539-DDFAF445154C.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 7FED5FD2-21D4-4CFF-839A-ABA65A6952BF.jpeg
    7FED5FD2-21D4-4CFF-839A-ABA65A6952BF.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 105
Yep, this is why I went with buckstop. Can't remember the other bumper compqny but one company in Pineville Oregon makes buckstop and this other brand.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
proline? i used to have one of those on my 08' tundra, it was a quality product

IdahoElk

WKR
Upgraded the 07 Rubicon to a 2015 Taco, 70K miles, aluminum bumpers, full skid plates, Icon stage 5 lift with billet UCA’s, onboard air and a bunch of little stuff. Pretty happy with the change. The Taco can’t really compete off-road but it’s soo much better driving across the state. Planning on 4:56 and front and rear lockers next. Sitting in 33’s but contemplating 35’s.
Really loved having a box, my next one will defiantly be a long box though. I was actually after a long box but couldn’t pass this one up. Only about 4K difference in it and the Rubicon worn 180K miles.
First picture is what it looked like clean before I put it to use:) I even found a used canopy to match for a few hundred in the classifieds.

View attachment 246621

View attachment 246622
View attachment 246623

View attachment 246624
Ok, how did you get a whole bull in the back of your truck with a cap on?

Fatcamp

WKR
Well, I brought home my reason for a new pickup today. Gonna do a good amount of work to the tundra, starting with suspension and a skid plate and rock sliders so I don’t trash it right away (spring bear is just around the corner!)

i will see how things look after suspension but may put air bags in it too, my boat squats it a little bit, it’s a little over 6k lbs empty

That's where you work? Maaan, making me doubt some life choices. 🙃

That's where you work? Maaan, making me doubt some life choices. 🙃
I have not had a land based job my whole adult life... now i get to do my own program. always had quite a bit of freedom (that's why i do what i do) but this will just make life that much easier. just bought a house on the south coast so i could make a living with a small scale commercial operation, no boss, no employees to rely on.... keeping our house here empty so i can come back here and work for a week or whatever, or hunt.

still miss the little chevy, but it's a small price for the freedom i gained ;)

I actually WANTED a Tacoma a few years back but I dont see how anybody larger than a 9th grade cheerleader can fit comfortably in those darn things. *My work truck is a Colorado which isnt bad at all. Plenty of leg room and I dont feel like my butt is sitting on the floor.
Ended up with a Ram 2500 quad cab which is awesome, esp. for trips. I also have a 94 Landcruiser for hunting/fishing. I'm always amazed at how small it is after being in the other 2 vehicles, but I just use it for short local trips.
The newer Tacoma is roomier than the Colorado, I don’t think any of the Tacoma’s are smaller, or noticeably smaller than a Colorado

not by much, and they are all big enough for me. I could see them seeming small though, because my tundra feels big, and my last tundra did too. I wish they were still gen 1 size myself, but they are a lot bigger

tacomas aren’t full size big but they are slowly getting bigger.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any recommendations for upgrading the suspension on a second gen tacoma for a heavier load up front and general hauling and off-roading?

The guy who owned my truck before me put this 200 pound steel plate critter catcher on the front. Now, at 80k, the OEM bilsteins are showing their age and the front end sags deep enough that I don't have clearance in my wheel wells to run snow chains.

I was looking at Old Man Emu nitrochargers with 887 coil springs, but I don't want to lift the thing more than an inch or two above stock height. I've tried asking around on Tacomaworld about this, but to put it diplomatically there is a strong bias on that site towards Socal pavement princesses.

Attachments

• tacoma 1.png
    tacoma 1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 64

CAD73

FNG
Check out www.offroadelements.com. They've been in business for a decade. Although as you'll see they typically specialize in Jeeps, they've gotten into Toyotas recently and the owner now drivers a Taco that he's built for offroad. His name is Eric Miles. If you give them a call, he'll give you technical advice and probably the best prices on anything you want. He's good people. Tell him Carl sent you.

OverlandOnTheFly

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any recommendations for upgrading the suspension on a second gen tacoma for a heavier load up front and general hauling and off-roading?

The guy who owned my truck before me put this 200 pound steel plate critter catcher on the front. Now, at 80k, the OEM bilsteins are showing their age and the front end sags deep enough that I don't have clearance in my wheel wells to run snow chains.

I was looking at Old Man Emu nitrochargers with 887 coil springs, but I don't want to lift the thing more than an inch or two above stock height. I've tried asking around on Tacomaworld about this, but to put it diplomatically there is a strong bias on that site towards Socal pavement princesses.

I think your going to want 886’s but not sure. If you pair them with new bilsteins 5100 you can set the spring perch at different levels to achieve the proper ride height you desire. I would email Marie at headstrong off-road with your trucks spec and what your looking to achieve. She will recommend the closest combination to what you need.

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider

I am on my second 2nd gen Tacoma using the Old Man Emu suspension. Ordered the last with the 886 coils. Took a few thousand miles to settle in and rides great now compared to stock.

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider

I wouldn’t use 887 springs on a second gen taco because they are intended for the 3rd gen for the following reasons. 1. The 3rd gen is already one inch taller than the second gen and the 887 springs are designed to provide about 2 inches of lift to the 3rd gen. If you put those on a 2nd gen you will have 3 in of lift and will end up with more extreme driveline angles and will wear out your boots quicker. 2. The 887 springs are not intended to hold up bumpers as heavy as the one you have and would sag. They do make a heavy front spring for the second gen taco, I just can’t remember it’s number designation. I have a 3rd gen taco with 887 springs, nitro charger shocks and Dakar medium rear leaf pack. Headstrong Off-road has a lot of suspension options for your taco, call or email them, tell them what you are looking to do and they will help you put something together within your budget.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
out of curiosity, I was always under the impression that chains up front were a no go for Tacomas (2nd gen anyways)?

seems like there wasn't a ton of room and and any turning was a high risk for taking out brake lines, interfering with control arms, etc

not true?

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
out of curiosity, I was always under the impression that chains up front were a no go for Tacomas (2nd gen anyways)?

seems like there wasn't a ton of room and and any turning was a high risk for taking out brake lines, interfering with control arms, etc

not true?

you are correct, the upper control arm will likely get chewed up. Chains on the front are no bueno.