Lets see your hunting/daily driver rig (Pics)

nobody

WKR
Man, sounds like a bad egg. May be more than just yours, but I drive the Sh*t out of mine and hasn't had much of a problem at all. 2015 XLT 3.5 ecoboost fx4 bought with 29K miles. I have it up to 150K and it has not had any major issues. Just my experience.
Man I'm glad you've had good luck with yours, and I honestly felt like I was an exception until my dad's timing chain buzzed at about 10k, and then my grandma's 3.5 Expedition did the same thing at about 40k. Maybe we are just cursed, because I know lots of people love them!

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
Don't have a photo of mine, but I drive a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71, bone stock and it's been a good truck. It was a tough pill to swallow after a lifetime of being a Ford guy with a dad and grandpa that about disowned me when I jumped ship on the Ford, but I'm glad I did.

I want to chime in on the Ecoboost. Personally, after owning one, I wouldn't touch another one with a 10 foot pole. I purchased a 2015 3.5 in June of 2019 with 65,000 miles on it. It was a 2015 XLT crew cab 4x4 with a leveling kit, oversized all terrain tires, oversized disk brakes and rotors, firestone airbag system on the rear, bed liner, and boy was she purrrrrrrrty.

Within the first 2 weeks of owning it, it sprung a serious timing cover leak. So it went back to the shop and they fixed it. They told me that the timing chains and cam system looked almost new while they were in there, so that made me feel good (momentarily) knowing that these are notorious for timing issues. About a week after that, I went out and started it to head to work and BUZZ, the timing chains rattled. So the supposedly "basically new" timing chains were rattling. It didn't do it always, but my 4 year old truck with less than 70k on it sounded like a clunker. I drove it for about 4,000 more miles, and was able to largely avoid much more rattling as long as I used an oil filter with a strong anti-drainback valve, like a NAPA Gold. But basically, the spring on the timing chain tensioners was totally trashed. But I drove it like that for the next 5 or 6 months, and it would rattle if I let it sit longer than about 12 hours without being driven. After 5 or 6 months, the timing cover started leaking again. Oh and through that 5 or 6 months, I changed the oil twice (2000 mile intervals for short tripping because I live close to my work), I lost about a quart of oil per oil change. In 4,000 miles, it burned off a total of 2 quarts of oil. With less than 70k miles.

About mid-December, while driving home from work one day, I lost 3rd and 4th gear. So back to the shop it went, where it had a brand new transmission installed. A week later, it had developed a misfire bad enough that I thought the new transmission was acting up. The plugs and ignition coils for those EB's were about $350 per cylinder, so pretty ridiculous. By January, I had had it with the truck. It had had $9,000 of repairs done within 7 months of ownership, plus a $350 payment every month. It had enough dumped into it to pay cash for half of the GMC I traded it in for in January. When I traded it in, after the trade was done, the shop tech at the dealership looked up the VIN for the F150 and showed me all of the work that had been done under warranty prior to me buying it:

Both Turbos had been replaced twice
4 oil leaks
Transfer Case
Timing Chain, Tensioners, and Variable Cam System once
Rear End Rebuild

I talked to him about it, and he said that's pretty much par for the course with the Ecoboost's they take in on trade at the Larry H. Miller dealerships. They just are asking too much of a small engine, even if it is turbocharged. At the end of the day, it's a 2.7 or 3.5 liter V6 in a full sized truck. Heck, my Mom drives a Honda Pilot with a 3.5L V6, and her and my dad wouldn't DREAM of ever towing with it, but we do it all the time with the Ecoboosts.

My dad drives a 2019 and has about 35K on his and his timing chain already rattles every now and then if the truck has sat for too long. Ford says to wait until it does it every day before he needs to worry, but man that would drive me nuts on a $60k truck personally.

That 5.0 Coyote engine is pretty sweet, but even they have some issues with uneven cylinder wear. I'll just say one of the most relieving days of my life was the day I got rid of the Ecoboost.
That's some bum luck with that engine. I'd like to think the previous owner just abused the crap out of it, causing you all the grief. Certainly don't blame you for dumping it.
They aren't ALL that bad. Mines currently at 128k, nothing major, owned since new. The 2.7 is basically trouble free, sans early oil pain leakage.

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
Had a F-150 and loved it, but then I saw this truck. We’ve had a 4Runner and a Sequoia in the past and they were rock solid.

The rear sliding window is probably my favorite feature though. Especially in the summer when it’s beach season at Lake Michigan.

1fd2c40d2ceee530e3d19fc0f65d4262.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 F-150. XLT w/5.0 Coyote. I’ve really enjoyed this truck.
Im giving it to my Daughter in a few years and then I’ll finally get my Raptor.
Those pics are from our family camping trip in the Michigan UP last Summer. The girls sleep up top in the tent, my Son and I took the cots in the annex room 5EE9E20F-1385-41D7-8278-EAEE8A25B0C5.jpeg
^^Muskallonge Lake State Park in Michigan UP.
0B68E62F-7A1D-4967-B19C-116F47D599C7.jpeg

We've had it for 16+ years doing the exact thing in the picture and it has never once failed us. All over the West Texas mountains hunting mule deer and aoudad. Grew up hunting in that truck.
that's the epitome of a "woods pickup" to me... too damn hard to find realistically, so i will hunt down the next best thing, an 89-94' standard cab yota with the 22re

Don't have a photo of mine, but I drive a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71, bone stock and it's been a good truck. It was a tough pill to swallow after a lifetime of being a Ford guy with a dad and grandpa that about disowned me when I jumped ship on the Ford, but I'm glad I did.

I want to chime in on the Ecoboost. Personally, after owning one, I wouldn't touch another one with a 10 foot pole. I purchased a 2015 3.5 in June of 2019 with 65,000 miles on it. It was a 2015 XLT crew cab 4x4 with a leveling kit, oversized all terrain tires, oversized disk brakes and rotors, firestone airbag system on the rear, bed liner, and boy was she purrrrrrrrty.

Within the first 2 weeks of owning it, it sprung a serious timing cover leak. So it went back to the shop and they fixed it. They told me that the timing chains and cam system looked almost new while they were in there, so that made me feel good (momentarily) knowing that these are notorious for timing issues. About a week after that, I went out and started it to head to work and BUZZ, the timing chains rattled. So the supposedly "basically new" timing chains were rattling. It didn't do it always, but my 4 year old truck with less than 70k on it sounded like a clunker. I drove it for about 4,000 more miles, and was able to largely avoid much more rattling as long as I used an oil filter with a strong anti-drainback valve, like a NAPA Gold. But basically, the spring on the timing chain tensioners was totally trashed. But I drove it like that for the next 5 or 6 months, and it would rattle if I let it sit longer than about 12 hours without being driven. After 5 or 6 months, the timing cover started leaking again. Oh and through that 5 or 6 months, I changed the oil twice (2000 mile intervals for short tripping because I live close to my work), I lost about a quart of oil per oil change. In 4,000 miles, it burned off a total of 2 quarts of oil. With less than 70k miles.

About mid-December, while driving home from work one day, I lost 3rd and 4th gear. So back to the shop it went, where it had a brand new transmission installed. A week later, it had developed a misfire bad enough that I thought the new transmission was acting up. The plugs and ignition coils for those EB's were about $350 per cylinder, so pretty ridiculous. By January, I had had it with the truck. It had had $9,000 of repairs done within 7 months of ownership, plus a $350 payment every month. It had enough dumped into it to pay cash for half of the GMC I traded it in for in January. When I traded it in, after the trade was done, the shop tech at the dealership looked up the VIN for the F150 and showed me all of the work that had been done under warranty prior to me buying it:

Both Turbos had been replaced twice
4 oil leaks
Transfer Case
Timing Chain, Tensioners, and Variable Cam System once
Rear End Rebuild

I talked to him about it, and he said that's pretty much par for the course with the Ecoboost's they take in on trade at the Larry H. Miller dealerships. They just are asking too much of a small engine, even if it is turbocharged. At the end of the day, it's a 2.7 or 3.5 liter V6 in a full sized truck. Heck, my Mom drives a Honda Pilot with a 3.5L V6, and her and my dad wouldn't DREAM of ever towing with it, but we do it all the time with the Ecoboosts.

My dad drives a 2019 and has about 35K on his and his timing chain already rattles every now and then if the truck has sat for too long. Ford says to wait until it does it every day before he needs to worry, but man that would drive me nuts on a $60k truck personally.

That 5.0 Coyote engine is pretty sweet, but even they have some issues with uneven cylinder wear. I'll just say one of the most relieving days of my life was the day I got rid of the Ecoboost.
after reading through this whole thread, i feel like i dodged a bullet, haha... i was actually shopping for a used F-150 recently, because used Tundras are so dang expensive.... on the way to the valley to look at a few i had located, my wife and i started talking on the drive.... she suggested we look at new pickups, and i said in that case, lets look at new tundras.... stopped by the Toyota dealership and drove away in a new Tundra.... hadn't even considered that in my couple week pickup shopping ralley until the drive to go pickup shopping.... i read this thread a few days after i got my pickup, and was really glad i did what i did rather than getting a used ecoboost, haha.... this thread would make me nervous if i had bought what i was shopping for.

i was actually avoiding the 5.0's in my shopping too, haha.... i did some research but obviously not enough, quite a few stories in this thread alone that make me cringe.

2014 F-150. XLT w/5.0 Coyote. I’ve really enjoyed this truck.
Im giving it to my Daughter in a few years and then I’ll finally get my Raptor.
Those pics are from our family camping trip in the Michigan UP last Summer. The girls sleep up top in the tent, my Son and I took the cots in the annex room View attachment 268272
^^Muskallonge Lake State Park in Michigan UP.
View attachment 268273
that's a cool setup!

That's some bum luck with that engine. I'd like to think the previous owner just abused the crap out of it, causing you all the grief. Certainly don't blame you for dumping it.
They aren't ALL that bad. Mines currently at 128k, nothing major, owned since new. The 2.7 is basically trouble free, sans early oil pain leakage.
Yea I traded in a 2021 tacoma after a week (too small) and just got a 2020 XLT sport. it seems unless you tow a lot the 2nd gen 2.7 (gen w/ fixed oil pan issue) that they put in the 2018+s is definitely the engine to get. I'm coming from a 5.7L tuned titan with long tube headers so i already got my v8 fix then

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
Yea I traded in a 2021 tacoma after a week (too small) and just got a 2020 XLT sport. it seems unless you tow a lot the 2nd gen 2.7 (gen w/ fixed oil pan issue) that they put in the 2018+s is definitely the engine to get. I'm coming from a 5.7L tuned titan with long tube headers so i already got my v8 fix then
Tune that 2.7, I hear it's a different animal.
The only downside is the exhaust note, any aftermarket muffler makes it sound like a ricer.

270quest

WKR
Mine is a 2019 Ram 2500 6.4 8 speed w/ 4:10 gears - absolute towing machine. 26500 trouble free miles so far.

I do plan to do a 2" front level to run 285/75/18 (35s) Toyo AT3s this fall.

IMG-0998.jpg

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
Have a 2013 Gmc Duramax 2500HD just leveled on 34.5 tires and a camper that I need to get painted. 100k miles and going. Looking to switch from torsion bar suspension up front to a coil over kit here soon. 1E2D323D-22CD-49EC-8772-4D3DF5FDCF3B.jpeg

Attachments

• C92EB07A-61EB-4A09-A0A4-6788AD806E49.jpeg
    C92EB07A-61EB-4A09-A0A4-6788AD806E49.jpeg
    626 KB · Views: 81

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
Curious what benefits your looking for in coil overs?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
As far as being on the trail I have heard the coil over kits for these trucks ride so much better than the torsion bar systems and after a few years on backcountry roads with this truck it would be nice to have a softer ride.

This one is bittersweet. Last years rig, 1984 FJ60:
View attachment 268312

This years rig. 2021 Gladiator Rubi diesel... I’ll feel a tiny bit better about it once the go fast camper arrives:
View attachment 268313
damn.... whoever you sold the landcruiser to scored! that landcruiser is sick.... as nice as they come. i made a deal with a guy a few years ago, he told me he would sell me his landcruiser, almost as nice as the one in your pic, i was pretty dang excited, got in touch with him when i got back into town, went to his house to pay him and get the rig.... to my disappointment, he had not talked it over with his wife, she was there and would not let him sell it.... that's flat out bad luck. it's been a few years ago now, but that still bums me out thinking about that.

As far as being on the trail I have heard the coil over kits for these trucks ride so much better than the torsion bar systems and after a few years on backcountry roads with this truck it would be nice to have a softer ride.
Guess I don't know what I'm missing in my Tahoe with torsion bars then! Ignorance is bliss. Just let more air out of the tires.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk