Let’s see your Mannlicher stock rifles

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve been looking at and lusting after a few of these, including the CZ 550 Mannlicher, the Cooper (cha Ching!) and a few Rugers. Thoughts and pics? I did come across an article that said the accuracy of these (or at least the M77 RSI) is suspect due to the interaction between the nose cap, the stock and the barrel - which of correct for all of these types of rifles, would change my mind.

bobinmi

WKR
This one is a 550FS. 9.3x62. It shoots just a touch under 1 moa with 285grn soft points from Prvi Partisan. I absolutely love it. I don't think I'd do mannlicher if I needed it to be sub MOA. There are those that will do it (ie. cooper, sako, a good number of the cz's) but they will cost ya. Even the CZ has started going through the roof once they discontinued the model and now are discontinuing the 550s all together.

Attachments

• 20201129_091719.jpg
    20201129_091719.jpg
    848.4 KB · Views: 111
OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
This one is a 550FS. 9.3x62. It shoots just a touch under 1 moa with 285grn soft points from Prvi Partisan. I absolutely love it. I don't think I'd do mannlicher if I needed it to be sub MOA. There are those that will do it (ie. cooper, sako, a good number of the cz's) but they will cost ya. Even the CZ has started going through the roof once they discontinued the model and now are discontinuing the 550s all together.
It’s beautiful. I don’t need sub MOA and the older I get, the more I appreciate the wooden stocks and patinas they can get over time. I love my Cooper 52s but the two together cost me less than the Cooper Mannlicher would!

Decker9

WKR
Iv never played much with reloading for mine. It’s a 100 yard rifle, generally I can hold 3”-4” groups @ 100 yards with the iron sights. This one is a mannlicher schoenauer chambered in 9.5x57 (aka .375 rimless nitro express).

I never could get comfortable with archery, this rifle kinda gives me the same hunt, having to get in close.

334B6CAF-39B1-4389-911A-C8758038D3EE.jpeg

mmac

WKR
They are really nice to look at and as long as shots not that far out, plenty accurate. I am talking myself into one.....

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
They are really nice to look at and as long as shots not that far out, plenty accurate. I am talking myself into one.....
No. You shouldn’t. They are horribly inaccurate. At least until I find one I like. ….

Iv never played much with reloading for mine. It’s a 100 yard rifle, generally I can hold 3”-4” groups @ 100 yards with the iron sights. This one is a mannlicher schoenauer chambered in 9.5x57 (aka .375 rimless nitro express).

I never could get comfortable with archery, this rifle kinda gives me the same hunt, having to get in close.

View attachment 366673
You have some just awesome rifles man - always like seeing your "pretty ones" especially being used! 👍

bobinmi

WKR
I've debated a scout rifle with a mannlicher many times. Something about the way the gun balances weight out. Feels like i'm swinging a fine shotgun when it comes up to the shoulder. I think a remington model 7 with a 16in 308 barrel fitted to an MPI mannlicher in the lightest option they make would be such a sweet walk around gun.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Did Winchester ever make a Model 70 with a Mannlicher?

Wapiti1

WKR
Santa Barbara Mauser, .375 Ruger, Oberndorf bottom metal 3 down, Timney trigger, 21" Douglas Barrel, steel grip cap, english walnut stock from a Cecil Fredi blank. All machine, stock and feed work done by me.

This was taken just before I sent the stock off to be checkered 22lpi wrap around point pattern. It shot 1 moa with factory Hornady 300 DGX.

Right side by honeysuckle small.jpg

Jeremy

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Santa Barbara Mauser, .375 Ruger, Oberndorf bottom metal 3 down, Timney trigger, 21" Douglas Barrel, steel grip cap, english walnut stock from a Cecil Fredi blank. All machine, stock and feed work done by me.

This was taken just before I sent the stock off to be checkered 22lpi wrap around point pattern. It shot 1 moa with factory Hornady 300 DGX.

View attachment 367138

Jeremy
Wow!

Mikido

WKR
My only big game rifle is Ruger M77 RSI in .308, the older tang safety.

It’s anything but “accurate”, but it’s killed every animal ive shot, with confidence up to 200yds and is a pleasure to carry. Every few seasons I take off the scope and mount a NECG rear aperture sight. Shot my biggest white tail with that setup.

For “long range” hunting, I swap stocks. I bought a factory second from Richards microfit for $59. In the process of Finishing it myself, pillar bedding…..even modified the factory trigger down to 3lbs (from 7+, I could hang the rifle from finger and it would fire)

Here’s an article that’s pretty spot on…https://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_M77RSI_firearm_fun.htm

Only bad thing…..I bought my rifle in 2014 for ~$700 on gunbroker. The RSI’s are going for $1200+ today. I can’t believe it.

Good luck!

my old trusty 6.5x55 Swede. Originally a 1896 Mauser sporterized originally sometime (I'm guessing) in the 60's, with a new recoil pad, safety, timney, and cock on open added in the 90's. Its shot pronghorn, whitetail, muley, elk, moose, and mt. goat since I purchased it in 1991. It was my only big game rifle for 15 years living in WY and CO. It also doesn't know that mannlicher guns can't shoot 1 inch groups. This old girl will do it all day with about any 140 grain bullet/load.
m4GWvib.jpg

Ml8r6yK.jpg

Last edited:
OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
my old trusty 6.5x55 Swede. Originally a 1896 Mauser sporterized originally sometime (I'm guessing) in the 60's, with a new recoil pad, safety, timney, and cock on open added in the 90's. Its shot pronghorn, whitetail, muley, elk, moose, and mt. goat since I purchased it in 1991. It was my only big game rifle for 15 years living in WY and CO. It also doesn't know that mannlicher guns can't shoot 1 inch groups. This old girl will do it all day with about any 140 grain bullet/load.
m4GWvib.jpg

Ml8r6yK.jpg
That is a beautiful rifle

I have an early '80s Ruger RSI tanger in 250 Sav wearing a VX2 1-4X20. I could cover 3 shots with a nickle at times, and always with a quarter, shooting factory 100 CoreLokt and Interlock ammo. Hasn't been fired in a few years.

Good timing to run across this thread. I just began load development for it this morning. I'm starting with Ramshot Big Game under an 80gr TTSX. Can't get to the range till Friday, though.

fwafwow, go for it!

pbr1952

FNG
1970's Paul Jaeger custom Mauser carbine in 30 06, Bohler Rasant 20" octagon barrel with integral rib and front site mount, Jaeger trigger, full walnut Mannlicher stock with ebony fore end schnabel, engraving by Emil and Claus Willig, ram gold inlay and engraved magazine plate, gold wire and engraved scope rings, gold wire and engraved trigger guard, engraved steel pistol grip cap, jeweled bolt and bolt release, checkered bolt handle, Neidner butt plate, Leupold X1 2-7x 33mm scope.

Attachments

• 20611-05.jpg
    20611-05.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20611-01.jpg
    20611-01.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20611-13.jpg
    20611-13.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 49

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
Holy smokes, that is a beautiful rifle. I’d love to be able to get my hands in one of those.

View attachment 366673
No clue why I clicked on this thread....but THAT is a Classy shot. Classy rig and what looks to be a great colored boar. NICE!