Let's see your old-timey motel photos!

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I was watching a GoHunt youtube video tonight and saw some scenes where the guys crashed in a motel for one of the nights. It reminded me of the only times I really ever stayed in a small, roadside, motel - the kind where the doors open right to the outside and your car is right there. It was when I went tree planting (during a college summer) northwest of Thunder Bay ON. The motel was somewhere probably near Kakebeka Falls, ON. This was in the early 90s so I don't have photos (and certainly not digital ones).

It may have been the 90s but the decor was 70s at best. :)

Some of you have probably stayed in some that haven't changed in decor in decades? I don't know. I don't expect this thread to be as successful as the "photo of your campsite" thread (which is awesome), but hey - this could be cool.

Here is a screenshot from the video. Note the wood paneling and whatever you call that piece of pressboard the lamp is standing on.

motel_1.JPG

Attachments

• motel2.JPG
    motel2.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 66

svivian

WKR
Yeah if you know that town that’s a nice place to stay 🤣 there are much much worst in the area. I’ll try to grab a pic of one of the options this weekend

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah if you know that town that’s a nice place to stay 🤣 there are much much worst in the area. I’ll try to grab a pic of one of the options this weekend

I hear ya! Ours wasn't that nice! It was a single room plus bathroom, first of all. For work, I stay in Hampton Inns and places like that, so I forget what the ol' motel is like. In fact, I don't think I'd consider them anymore yet I should!

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I scanned Google Maps along the Trans-Canada Highway between where we were tree planting (Graham, ON) and Kakabeka Falls. Near Upsala, I found a couple of potential sites where we might have stayed. They've been refurbished since then, it appears. I doubt they have websites with photos of the amenities. Hmmm. Maybe they are part of the Hilton chain...

I don't remember them being even this "built up" around them. I simply remember a motel and trees. Nothing more. Who knows.

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 8.32.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 8.36.50 AM.png

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Used to be tons of little hotels like that off the highways of the sierras. Most night were spent in the back country but those rare nights in a motel sure were a nice break. Especially if there was a diner close by which usually was the case. Wish I had photos of some of these. There was a particular one off of highway 89 coming out of desolation wilderness before you hit highway 50 heading back west. I think it was called the Lazy Ass Lodge… LOVED that one.

BBob

WKR
No pictures from the actual stay but here's a couple from Google Maps of two that still exist.
Deming NM The Hacienda. Stayed there on many Ibex hunts. It was a bit of a dive back then and no idea what it's like now.
Show Low AZ The Kiva. Late season hunts out of here and still use it. Always clean and well kept.Hacienda Motel Deming.JPGKiva Motel Show Low.JPG

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Nice. What's on his feet?
Been a while but I finally saw your ? Those are dog boots, the desert can be real hard on a dogs feet. Everything from sand to rocky washes with ragged rocks, and don't forget many different types of cactus, not that the boots are much good against cactus. I first wrap the dogs leg with non adhesive self adhering tape so it does not to stick to the hair, then on go the boots which I tape from top of boot and up onto the non adhesive tape. If you zoom in on his feet you can see the white tape then the duct tape on both the boot and white tape. It's a pain in the ass to do, but it really saves their feet.

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Been a while but I finally saw your ? Those are dog boots, the desert can be real hard on a dogs feet...
Cool. I understand! We take good care of our own feet and the dogs work harder than us much of the time. :)

2rocky

WKR
giphy.gif

Ralls

FNG
80C21324-5802-463C-89FB-BA3E6D591424.jpeg
anyone guess where this one is not the hotel but looking from front of it across the “street”

Carr5vols

WKR
Screenshot_20221101-082445_Maps.jpgWheels Motel in Greybull Wyoming. Stayed here a few nights great people run this place. Didnt have any pics in the room.

Stay in a little place just about on the S. Dakota - Wyoming line on the way to hunt in Wyoming, Last stop traveling before getting to the hunting grounds, I would much rather support the little mom and pop places than the big corporate places, not much to look at but clean and the lady that runs it puts on a super breakfast. Super good folks for instance on the way home last trip we were running late called to inform her and she said no problem the keys to your room will be under the counter, just get them and I will see you at breakfast time.