Let’s see your Pickup Truck Sleep Setup

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
I'm considering working up something like this, but my GMC has the 5.5" bed, and I'm 6" tall. Anyone have pics of how they arrange things when they're too tall for a short bed? I'm thinking maybe building or buying a set of drawers (such as decked, but $$$) that raise the sleeping surface, so at least the wheel wells aren't in the way. Then maybe a thick piece of mattress-type foam.

I do have a super comfortable Exped Megamat, but even diagonally, it won't fit in the bed.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
20200905_070540.jpgI use this tent in a short bed. Roll out 4" queen size memory foam and sleeping bag. Tons of room and comfy. You gain the tailgate space then.

You guys who sleep in the cab of your truck are way tougher than I am.
i did that Thursday night just to remind myself that it sucks... i had a good plan, i was going to sleep in the bed of my pickup that first night, then set up my eolus after that since there was no rain in the forecast that first night/next day... got up on the mountain around 10pm after losing a full hour off of my ETA driving through liberal-hippi-portland and the surrounding rat holes, and right when i got to the last little town before i hit gravel the last 15-20 miles, there was a downpour, and some other black clouds around, so sleeping in the bed was no longer a viable option. it got down to 24* and was not a very good night of sleep.... i was happy to be in a tent the next couple nights.

i am going to put a soft topper on my colorado, the ZR2 4 door only have a 5'3" bed, but with the tailgate down, there is still plenty of room for me (i'm 6' even) and with the soft topper, it will be a pretty good truck camping setup. i may get a canvas cutter for that too, if you sleep head toward the cab, an overnight shower wouldn't be a big deal. i like just sleeping in the bed with my sleeping pad and bag if it's for sure going to be dry, it's not bad at all.... it's easy.

if the soft topper isn't practical (like lots of rain) i will just pitch my shelter close to my pickup, or throw my pad and bag under my pickup if practical.... i would have done that Thursday, but where i had to park was wide spot with melting snow which made for some nasty clay like mud, so that was a no go in that situation... my camp shoes were ankle high xtra-tuffs by necessity.

pickup camping should be kept simple. a buddy and i rigged a regular cheap tarp over his pickup bed a couple times pickup camping in the rain... drape it over part of the cab, close the corners of the tarp in the back doors of the pickup, than use tie outs where you need them to give you decent shelter.... cheap, easy, and works fine.... we stayed dry in some pretty good rain

View attachment 286170

I like to live comfortably if I'm on the road or camping at the truck.
that's cheating!

if i did a lot of truck camping, i would likely buy a dedicated pickup with a camper to do it, that's beyond convenient, and you have everything you need with you... my little pickup looks like a bomb went off inside after day 1, the passenger seat and whole back seat is completely full of stuff after i un pack a few things.... the camper gives you comfort and actual organization... that's best case scenario if you use it enough to justify in.

some of those little offroad tow behind overland trailers are pretty sick too, but damn they are expensive! i could see myself getting tempted with a purchase like that later in my life, especially if at some point i have to hunt out of state to elk hunt in the future. i think at some point, my state will lose OTC elk opportunity, and i will be hunting elk somewhere if not here.... when that time comes, i will certainly be looking at a trailer or camper.... if you are going to be away from home for 3 weeks, a little portable house is very attractive

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
i had one set up to sleep sideways above the rails. wont work for tall fellers, but works for 5' 10" and under. gives you lots of room underneath and in back by the tailgate. should work for short boxes.

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
78374096e586544e6d5078c30ca642df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can I ask what this tent thing is? I’m 6’5” and stupidly bought an F150 with a 5.5” bed. This doohickey looks like it could be an extension that would work for me.

Can I ask what this tent thing is? I’m 6’5” and stupidly bought an F150 with a 5.5” bed. This doohickey looks like it could be an extension that would work for me.

It’s made by TopperEzLift or something like that. Wasn’t cheap but it works great. I’m 6’8 and have a 5.5’ F150 bed. I made a cheap platform and throw my pad on top of it.

0ba85cf675a971867177775af9457104.jpg

c6c2f528b587aa87c36e552c9b441614.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cng

Lil-Rokslider
It’s made by TopperEzLift or something like that. Wasn’t cheap but it works great. I’m 6’8 and have a 5.5’ F150 bed. I made a cheap platform and throw my pad on top of it.

Excellent! Thanks so much.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
My current pick up truck set up is not what you are asking for, but in the past before the trailer I also had a decked box and would put a rubber air filled mattress in the back with a sleeping bag or blanket depending on how warm and never had to unload much. Canopy had a 12 v plug in so I could charge stuff while back there.

Hows that @Formidilosus

Attachments

• 20230717_092852.jpg
    20230717_092852.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 109
  • 20230517_150557.jpg
    20230517_150557.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 107
  • received_1069342874043318.jpeg
    received_1069342874043318.jpeg
    573.3 KB · Views: 107
  • received_6881752158552372.jpeg
    received_6881752158552372.jpeg
    601.9 KB · Views: 105

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
My current pick up truck set up is not what you are asking for, but in the past before the trailer I also had a decked box and would put a rubber air filled mattress in the back with a sleeping bag or blanket depending on how warm and never had to unload much. Canopy had a 12 v plug in so I could charge stuff while back there.

Hows that @Formidilosus

You’re just bougie now.

mod7rem

FNG
I don’t get to truck camp often, but when I do just throw the cot back there and it’s as comfortable as home!View attachment 282438

This is exactly what I’ve been doing for many, many years and with a few different trucks. I always have a canopy on my truck for just this reason.

I have an old RV furnace (radiant=no power needed) that I use and it draws in and vents outside the canopy window. I open the window and pop in a thin piece of aluminum that has a hole in it just big enough for the vent pipe. The furnace itself sits on top of a pre cut milk crate at just the right height, and I run a propane hose in from the tank outside.
The furnace vent is double walled and draws combustion air from outside and vents exhaust outside.
I use this a lot in cold November weather hunting deer, so I take a very large insulated tarp, fold it up to the right size and lay it into my truck box, folding up the sides to top of the box rails and tailgate to help insulate. Then I put my cot in there.
Every year I spend many nights in there in temps as low as -28 C. Keeping my water from freezing solid is the biggest challenge. I will run the truck and sit in the cab and eat dinner in the evening and the heat keeps the big jug of water warmed up. Then at night, and during the day while I’m gone hunting, I keep the water jug wrapped in an old sleeping bag and inside a good cooler. I’ve been doing this a long time and love it. Very simple and mobile. Mid November this last season I had a few nights that were close -28 C and my furnace was having trouble with propane flow from the tank outside. I warmed it up in the truck the next day, then buried it in snow beside the truck to help insulate and didn’t have anymore problems the next night.

Expedition. Queen mattress topper. I put a window unit AC on a table blowing into the back if in the middle of our hellish Southern summer and electricity is available. That's rare, because mostly I'm in the woods, not a campground.

It all rolls up out of the way when I'm driving, and I keep all my other gear in waterproof tough boxes that I put under the truck when camped.
20181019_164309~2.jpg20221029_100609.jpg20230512_064130.jpg
20230512_062209.jpg

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
@sportsmans challenge Nice looking set up! Would you be so kind as to share the make of your trailer and roof tent? The thing that has always held me back from going this route is I need a way to haul my ATV, too.
It is an Off Grid Trailer made in Edmonton, Alberta.. the tent I ordered with it, but is a 23zero. Only reason we have the tent is cause of kids, queen inside the trailer and a queen up top in the tent. It has been pretty nice in most conditions from negative 6 and snow to 90+ in the forest.