Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

Lawnboi

WKR
I won’t go back to a non vertical grip stock.

Iv got a tikka in a standard manners, a carbon fiber McMillan adjustable game scout and am having one built in an AG composites alpine hunter.

My game scout does not have the comb I need when in line with the stock, I got the adjustable version, that adds some weight but is nice. Manners eh1(they don’t do the eh1 for tikka any longer) has a nice comb and is supposedly similar to the alpine hunter I’m having a tikka built by hells canyon with.

If you go mcmillan, get the carbon fiber shell, very impressed with it when compared to the couple manners stocks I have. McMillan also had my stock to me in 3.5 months and we’re a little easier than manners to work with.

I could probably help you a bit more in a few months but that’s what I got for now.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
7mm SAUM in a McMillan Game warden stock with mountain tactical bottom medal, x cal barrel, Harrell precision brake, topped off with the amazing leupold Mk5 HD. Shooting 180gr ELDMs. Hitting out to 1010 yards the other day.
328e1effc8b1fa9eb6ac66e1d183b46d.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the guys that are using the pre threaded tikka barrels, how much are gunsmiths charge you to install them? Is it worth trying to do yourself with go/no gauges?

OutdoorAg

WKR
With all these prefits hitting the market for Tikka, and with gunsmiths still hell bent on charging high dollar to thread on a barrel... its getting to be an easier decision to purchase the following:

1) Barrel Vise
2) Outside Action Wrench
3) Inside Action Wrench
4) Torque Wrench
5) Go/NoGo Gauges

With the above tools, you can thread on your own Tikka prefit without paying anyone else to do it.

The ideal scenario would be to find a group of Tikka shooters (like those on this thread) and share some of the above tools, as I dont imagine the average shooter is going to get much use out of go gauges, etc.

amassi

WKR
Local knowledgeable Smith is $250 to put a pre threaded and chambered barrel on

Way too much for the amount of work involved.
I'm talking about dropping off an action and a barrel and getting back a headspaced barreled action. Sometimes I get it back same day and there arent many options around here to keep the price down.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OutdoorAg

WKR
Way too much for the amount of work involved.
I'm talking about dropping off an action and a barrel and getting back a headspaced barreled action. Sometimes I get it back same day and there arent many options around here to keep the price down.

Barrel vise, inside action wrench, torque wrench, go/no go gauge. Thats all you need, and you can thread on your own barrels. Some anti seize on the threads.

amassi

WKR
Barrel vise, inside action wrench, torque wrench, go/no go gauge. Thats all you need, and you can thread on your own barrels. Some anti seize on the threads.
Not interested in another hobby at the moment. That seems like a slippery slope, eventually you end up with a machine shop in the backyard doing sidejobs to pay for it all. Haha

OutdoorAg

WKR
Not interested in another hobby at the moment. That seems like a slippery slope, eventually you end up with a machine shop in the backyard doing sidejobs to pay for it all. Haha

I understand the desire not to collect too much extra equip!

Its a pretty easy process. Given the quality of the Tikka actions (not needing any truing), this is the direction I'm headed.

A couple actions, stocks, the right bolts/bolt faces, and the threading tools can let a guy shoot just about any cartridge he wants if you can get a barrel.

Dhbwa

WKR
Also have concerns about balance. The Proof Sendero is actually roughly 1/2 lb heavier than the stock Tikka Barrel. Would a slightly heavier stock be more appropriate to prevent the rifle from being to muzzle heavy? Or would that not be a factor?

Thanks for any advice or recommendations.
The Sendero is going to be more like a full pound heavier than factory.....

khuber84

WKR
With all these prefits hitting the market for Tikka, and with gunsmiths still hell bent on charging high dollar to thread on a barrel... its getting to be an easier decision to purchase the following:

1) Barrel Vise
2) Outside Action Wrench
3) Inside Action Wrench
4) Torque Wrench
5) Go/NoGo Gauges

With the above tools, you can thread on your own Tikka prefit without paying anyone else to do it.

The ideal scenario would be to find a group of Tikka shooters (like those on this thread) and share some of the above tools, as I dont imagine the average shooter is going to get much use out of go gauges, etc.
Isn't the idea of a shouldered prefit to not need gauges? Should be a situation where you just pull ur factory barrel, and trq the new one. Now if you run a barrel nut you'll need gauges.

Dhbwa

WKR
If your a little saavy you don’t need gauges to safely assemble one that uses a nut. I won’t go into details as it’ll start another war.....

OutdoorAg

WKR
If your a little saavy you don’t need gauges to safely assemble one that uses a nut. I won’t go into details as it’ll start another war.....

Yeah, I’m just not willing to take any chances with a piece of masking tape.

Dhbwa

WKR
My 24” factory barrel in 300 WSM was 2 lb 4 oz. New Proof Sendero 24” chambered in 6.5 PRC was 2 lb 13 oz

Nice. I knew the 30-06 barrel I weighed was 2lbs 2 oz. Thought Proof advertised weight was a pound more. Maybe my recollection of the Proof weight was incorrect or they weigh less than advertised. That would be novel...