Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

khunter20

FNG
Alright everyone,
Bear with me here, i am seeing a lot of great rifles on this thread im looking to do a simple Semi-custom tikka t3x build. I was originally looking to buy one of weatherbys new accumark pros in .300 weatherby but decided this would be more fun and end costing around the same. I am torn on whether i want a .300 wm or .300wsm, it will be my Elk rifle. I understand from what ive read there may be some issues with the .300 win mag in the tikkas? I have a tikka .270 and i love it but im wanting a 30 cal. and want to do a semi custom tikka so now is the time. Im planning on learning/starting to reload if that helps with advice on which caliber to go with but with being a newbie to reloading im not sure if the .300 will be something i want to reload until i feel im more competent in it so i will more than likely be running factory loads(Barnes TTSX) for a while. Aside from caliber, I am planning on getting bolt and barrel fluted as well as adding a muzzle break and dropping into a mesa precision. Ive heard great things about that stock, is it a drop in or will some work be required? Again all of my current rifles are factory and I am new to the custom world as well as reloading so any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Alright everyone,
Bear with me here, i am seeing a lot of great rifles on this thread im looking to do a simple Semi-custom tikka t3x build. I was originally looking to buy one of weatherbys new accumark pros in .300 weatherby but decided this would be more fun and end costing around the same. I am torn on whether i want a .300 wm or .300wsm, it will be my Elk rifle. I understand from what ive read there may be some issues with the .300 win mag in the tikkas? I have a tikka .270 and i love it but im wanting a 30 cal. and want to do a semi custom tikka so now is the time. Im planning on learning/starting to reload if that helps with advice on which caliber to go with but with being a newbie to reloading im not sure if the .300 will be something i want to reload until i feel im more competent in it so i will more than likely be running factory loads(Barnes TTSX) for a while. Aside from caliber, I am planning on getting bolt and barrel fluted as well as adding a muzzle break and dropping into a mesa precision. Ive heard great things about that stock, is it a drop in or will some work be required? Again all of my current rifles are factory and I am new to the custom world as well as reloading so any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

the 300 WSM is much more suited to the Tikka action and magazine length. You can seat bullets as far out as you want. 300 WM will be severely limited by mag length. You could remedy that with some aftermarket bottom metal and AICS mags, but still won’t be where you could be with an R700 action and a Wyatts box. Most folks in your shoes go the WSM route. The Tikka is a perfect short-fat platform.

Mesa stocks are drop in, but I’d still bed the lug and tang.

brushape

WKR
the 300 WSM is much more suited to the Tikka action and magazine length. You can seat bullets as far out as you want. 300 WM will be severely limited by mag length. You could remedy that with some aftermarket bottom metal and AICS mags, but still won’t be where you could be with an R700 action and a Wyatts box. Most folks in your shoes go the WSM route. The Tikka is a perfect short-fat platform.

Mesa stocks are drop in, but I’d still bed the lug and tang.

He’s planning on running factory Barnes ammo making none of that of any use, 300 win with 180 Barnes fit in the factory mags no problem at all and lots of guys are running 200 eldx and accubond in them as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Alright everyone,

Id grab a t3 lite, in 300wsm, replace the stock, bottom metal and grab a few aftermarket magazines kill things for long time. I’d spend the money you planned on fluting it with and invest it in a solid mount and glass.

I think you have a sound plan and also agree go with the WSM

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’ve gotten a bunch of questions on stocks, so....

For guys looking for Tikka stock replacements; the Axial Precision stock is designed correctly and is worth a look. It’s the only lightweight stock for Tikka's that is designed with a negative comb, vertical grip, close to neutral forend.

If weight is not the primary concern, the KRG Bravo is an excellent choice. It is very light for a chassis (2.9lbs), is designed well for recoil control and spotting shots, and the chassis backbone offers some interesting capabilities.

khunter20

FNG
Id grab a t3 lite, in 300wsm, replace the stock, bottom metal and grab a few aftermarket magazines kill things for long time. I’d spend the money you planned on fluting it with and invest it in a solid mount and glass.

I think you have a sound plan and also agree go with the WSM
I planned on mounting a Leupold vx5hd 3-15x44, still undecided on how i want to mount it. You make some good points though, I was considering replacing the factory barrel with a proof carbon barrel instead of fluting the factory but tikka barrels typically shoot well out of the box so i havent been able to justify the $600-700 proof barrel...... YET.

Last edited:

khunter20

FNG
Why is fluting a factory barrel a bad idea?
I have heard and read that fluting factory barrels can be risky but ive also heard that theres no harm as long as its done correctly. Anyone have any experience fluting a factory tikka barrel? Particularly a larger caliber like a .300?

Ram94

WKR
Why is fluting a factory barrel a bad idea?

Factory barrels are typically hammer forged and full of internal stresses that are balanced because they’ve been stress relieved in their current form. Once you start removing material, those stresses are no longer in balance and you run a fairly high risk of minor warping. Barrels that are fluted from factory are done so before the stress relieving process. Hope that makes sense..

Trial153

WKR
Factory barrels are typically hammer forged and full of internal stresses that are balanced because they’ve been stress relieved in their current form. Once you start removing material, those stresses are no longer in balance and you run a fairly high risk of minor warping. Barrels that are fluted from factory are done so before the stress relieving process. Hope that makes sense..

Yes it does, thank you for taking the time

Lawnboi

WKR
I planned on mounting a Leupold vx5hd 3-15x44, still undecided on how i want to mount it. You make some good points though, I was considering replacing the factory barrel with a proof carbon barrel instead of fluting the factory but tikka barrels typically shoot well out of the box so i havent been able to justify the $600-700 proof barrel...... YET.

While I think a new barrel is not a bad idea, I’d only do it if you have a legitimate reason , be it faster twist, if it dosnt shoot and so on. Wanting Carbon isn’t much of a reason to screw off a perfectly good barrel but that’s just my opinion. If your just shooting factory Barnes id bet the stock barrel makes you happy for a while.

I can’t see spending the money on fluting. Purely cosmetic, that stock barrel is already pretty thin especially with a .308 hole through it.

If it were me, I’d put an area 419 20moa rail on it, a set of Hawkins UL rings and a nightforce SHV, 2-10 for a close up build, 4-14f1 for a more friendly dialing setup.

Iv got a tikka built up spot on as above, have one at Hells canyon armory getting the full treatment, and a CTR that I plan on shooting matches with. Very happy with all three.

If there is one thing you could wait on if money is not all there right away, I’d wait on the stock. The plastic with vertical grip is definitely serviceable.

I’ve gotten a bunch of questions on stocks, so....

For guys looking for Tikka stock replacements; the Axial Precision stock is designed correctly and is worth a look. It’s the only lightweight stock for Tikka's that is designed with a negative comb, vertical grip, close to neutral forend.

If weight is not the primary concern, the KRG Bravo is an excellent choice. It is very light for a chassis (2.9lbs), is designed well for recoil control and spotting shots, and the chassis backbone offers some interesting capabilities.

Whats your opinion on Bell & Carlson vs Factory Tikka Stock?