Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

ehayes

FNG
So I too am considering going the semi-custom Tikka route (new stock, proof barrel, fluted bolt, etc.) and will likely have a smith do most of the work. So here's my thoroughly naïve question - if I want to end up with a semi custom 30-06 rifle - does the donor action need to be a 30-06 specifically, or are there other actions that will suffice?
I had been wondering the same thing after my buddy said he was going to re barrel from a 300 wsm to something else with simply a barrel swap. I didn’t know you could do that. I started digging around and found some charts on the inter webs that show you compatability in every cartridge. Maybe finding a chart like that will help you figure out what actions to look for.

793B2D53-0387-403D-9E22-3CF1BD70F26F.jpeg
Started out as a wood stock/ blued Tikka 243. I used it stock for several years. Then decided to change it up.
I had Nielson Customs do the work, Allterra stock, X-Caliber 6.5 creedmoor #5 heavy sporter, SWFA 3x9 and of course sportsmatch rings.
The trigger always seemed heavy and I could never adjust down light enough where I liked it. I replaced the trigger spring and now it’s right at 2 pounds.

Last edited:

wildcat33

WKR
I had been wondering the same thing after my buddy said he was going to re barrel from a 300 wsm to something else with simply a barrel swap. I didn’t know you could do that. I started digging around and found some charts on the inter webs that show you compatability in every cartridge. Maybe finding a chart like that will help you figure out what actions to look for.

In Tikka, you have "magnum", "standard" and "223" bolt faces. Its pretty basic, but there are other things to consider such as the magazine dimensions, the bolt stop length, cartridge + bullet COAL & chamber dimensions.

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 287728
Started out as a wood stock/ blued Tikka 243. I used it stock for several years. Then decided to change it up.
I had Nielson Customs do the work, Allterra stock, X-Caliber 6.5 creedmoor #5 heavy sporter, SWFA 3x9 and of course sportsmatch rings.
The trigger always seemed heavy and could never adjust down light enough where I liked it. I replaced the trigger spring and now it’s right at 2 pounds.
What’s the weight of this setup?

View attachment 287728
The trigger always seemed heavy and could never adjust down light enough where I liked it. I replaced the trigger spring and now it’s right at 2 pounds.
How was your experience with Neilson?

Very good. I told him basic idea of what I wanted and he went from there. Communication was great the whole time. The turnaround time on the project was good. And most importantly the gun shoots fantastic.

I would definitely use him again.
Nice, good to hear.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Thank you, this is very helpful. If I found a 300 win mag donor action for a good price, would that be a viable candidate as well? If so, is that magnum action more desirable, less desirable, or irrelevant for the purposes of building a 30-06?
There are a good amount of folks on these forums who would trade standard bolt for magnum bolt. I’d say if you find a good deal on a WM, snag it and look to trade.

ATL

FNG
This rifle has been through several updates over the years, but I am close to having it perfected for me......for now. The action was from a factory 30-06, which I bedded to a B&C sporter style stock. Shot a nice 5x5 elk in NM unit 36 with this configuration in 2013.

After that hunt the rifle mostly sat in my safe until 2019, when I had a prefit barrel chambered to 6.5 CM, and bedded it in a B&C Target/Competition stock. Shot a WY Antelope that year with it at 460 yards.

Since the Antelope hunt I have wanted to lighten the weight a bit to use it for more hunts. I just mated it to a XLR Element 4.0 magnesium chassis. It is currently at 10.1 lbs, a 1.53 lbs. savings from the last B&C stock. I plan to cut the barrel to 20-22" and get spiral fluting in the near future, for hopefully a 9.5 lbs. rifle in the end. I will then coat the barreled action in Norrell's Moly Coat flat black.

Current Components:
Tikka T3 stainless action
XLR Element 4.0 Magnesium Chassis (obtained April 2021)
Prefit stainless 24" Bartlein 3b 5R barrel, chambered 6.5 CM by Southern Precision Rifles
Nightforce NX8 4-32x50, Mil-C reticle
Area 419 20 MOA picatinny rail
Vortex rings
FAB Defense Gradus reduced angle pistol grip
Accurate Mag
Shooting Hornady 147 ELDM at 2.915" OAL, 2750 fps, averaging 1/2 MOA
Starline brass, CCI Large Rifle primers, and Reloder 16

20210501_102048.jpg

wyosam

WKR
I don’t have a propane torch, but maybe a hair dryer for 10 seconds would help it? My 200lb breaker bar got bent trying to muscle it, so I think mine is just a bear. I hope I can get it off without marring the action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hair dryer might do it- just need to warm the action up a touch while barrel tenon is still cold.

Spoonbill

WKR
I don’t have a propane torch, but maybe a hair dryer for 10 seconds would help it? My 200lb breaker bar got bent trying to muscle it, so I think mine is just a bear. I hope I can get it off without marring the action

Do a search on relief cuts on the barrel. Basically you make a relief cut around the barrel to relieve pressure. You can always send it off to a smith to have it done as well.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have the ag composite stock?

Are you talking about the Mesa Precision Arms one that is made by them? I have that one and love it. For whatever reason, the forum isn’t letting me attach the photo but just know I think highly of it

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Finished my build after five months of pretty much just waiting. The specs:

Stock: Mesa Precision Arms Altitude
Barrel: 24” #1 sporter Preferred Barrel Blanks Tikka prefit 1:7.5 twist
Bottom metal: Mtn Tactical OEM Bottom metal
Scope mount: DNZ Game Reaper
Scope: Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9x40
Bolt stop: Mtn Tactical long action bolt stop

IMG_2366.jpg