Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

What do you like better? I think @amassi had barrel channel woes as well.
The comb on the Allterra is really nice and just easy to get a good cheek placement.

I got the sporter barrel channel and it fit the factory barrel contour well. I just had one side that I wanted to open up a little more. The barrel was floating the whole way without me sanding a bit out.

Millerdyl

FNG
Finally got my first bolt action, Tikka T3x lite compact in 308. Realize I don't like the compact stock that much so will probably upgrade when funds are available. Bought a new trigger spring and pistol grip for it. Question is, are the stock spring and grip better for hunting? Did I buy parts mostly used on target guns?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Finally got my first bolt action, Tikka T3x lite compact in 308. Realize I don't like the compact stock that much so will probably upgrade when funds are available. Bought a new trigger spring and pistol grip for it. Question is, are the stock spring and grip better for hunting? Did I buy parts mostly used on target guns?

I have seen multiple people have ND’s when gloves or pack straps hit the trigger with very light triggers, including Yo Dave springs in T3’s. 2.5-3lbs is about the lowest that a field rifle should go, and that’s where a factory T3 trigger will adjust to. If someone can’t shoot a 3lbs trigger on a hunting rifle, they can’t shoot.

For those who will say “I never”, I have seen one negligent discharge from gloves, packs, etc. with factory 3’ish pound triggers, and at least 15 with 2lb and under triggers.

Juan_ID

WKR
If/when you decide to upgrade the stock I will take the factory compact stock off your hands.

I have seen multiple people have ND’s when gloves or pack straps hit the trigger with very light triggers, including Yo Dave springs in T3’s. 2.5-3lbs is about the lowest that a field rifle should go, and that’s where a factory T3 trigger will adjust to. If someone can’t shoot a 3lbs trigger on a hunting rifle, they can’t shoot.

For those who will say “I never”, I have seen one negligent discharge from gloves, packs, etc. with factory 3’ish pound triggers, and at least 15 with 2lb and under triggers.
What’s the Tikka typically set from the factory at? I’ve never adjusted or measured the pull weight on mine and am just used to shooting them from the factory as they are.

Firth

FNG
On the off chance it will help someone else...

I originally left my triggers set at the factory pull weight, but recently decided to lighten them up a bit. YMMV, but for my rifles the adjustment screw deadheaded on the screw the holding the trigger group to the action within a half turn or so. The result was I couldn't get it below 3.5 lb. I looked at a bunch of aftermarket springs and couldn't see any that were advertised as hitting the 2-3 lbs range I wanted so I just went ahead and ordered one of the lighter ones hoping that I could adjust it heavier than advertised. That turned out to be unsuccessful so I went back to factory. All it took was a couple passed on the file to bevel the shoulder of the screw holding on the trigger group and I could adjust down to 2.5 lb. Dabbed a little cold blue on and you could barely tell I did anything. Easy-peasy.

i6RUjD7.jpg

Last edited:

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
On the off chance it will help someone else...

I originally left me triggers set at the factory pull weight, but recently decided to lighten them up a bit. YMMV, but for my rifles the adjustment screw deadheaded on the screw the holding the trigger group to the action within a half turn or so. The result was I couldn't get it below 3.5 lb. I looked at a bunch of aftermarket springs and couldn't see any that were advertised as hitting the 2-3 lbs range I wanted so I just went ahead and ordered one of the lighter ones hoping that I could adjust it heavier than advertised. That turned out to be unsuccessful so I went back to factory. All it took was a couple passed on the file to bevel the shoulder of the screw holding on the trigger group and I could adjust down to 2.5 lb. Dabbed a little cold blue on and you could barely tell I did anything. Easy-peasy.
That's my kind of engineering.

Millerdyl

FNG
I think the fit is really good. I did sand out the barrel channel just a bit. Ill try to shoot it this weekend. I like my Allterra better but I was going for light weight on this one.
Do you think the Allterra was worth the price differance? I'm currently looking at the Stocky stock