Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

MHWASH

WKR
Would a T3x in 6.5 Creed be suitable for a 280 AI build, or would I be better off starting off with a long action caliber? I realize the action is the same and the only difference is the magazine and bolt stop.

Would a T3x in 6.5 Creed be suitable for a 280 AI build, or would I be better off starting off with a long action caliber? I realize the action is the same and the only difference is the magazine and bolt stop.

You could use either. Just understand that you’ll have to buy a couple additional items:

1) LA bolt stop
2) LA magazine unless you’re going with aftermarket bottom metal to extend the COAL. I’d recommend longer COAL for a 280 AI.

MHWASH

WKR
You could use either. Just understand that you’ll have to buy a couple additional items:

1) LA bolt stop
2) LA magazine unless you’re going with aftermarket bottom metal to extend the COAL. I’d recommend longer COAL for a 280 AI.

From what I’ve seen online the bolt stop is an easy modification.
I slipped one of partners 280ai cartridge in a long action Tikka mag and it fit fine with a 162 ELDx loaded. I stole one of his brass so I can mess around with it a little..

Yep, neither is a tough swap. It just depends on which donor you find a better deal on.

I think LA Tikka mags are about 3.3”, maybe 3.4”. They will limit top end performance, but not so much so that you’ll be handicapped.

Unless you plan to shoot LR consistently, it should be fine. You’re addressing the larger limiting issue of 9.5 twist on the 7mm with a new barrel.

Again, for a normal hunting rig, neither are that big of a deal.

prm

WKR
Double check the chamber dimensions. The shoulder of the 6.5 Creedmoor is a tiny bit larger than 308 based cartridges, and the 280. I was not able to use a 6.5 CM to rechamber to a 308 based cartridge. Due to the taper, the 280 at the point where the 6.5 shoulder is located may be large enough. Worth checking.

Last edited:
Double check the chamber dimensions. The shoulder of the 6.5 Creedmoor is a tiny bit larger than 308 based cartridges, and the 280. I was not able to use a 6.5 CM to rechamber to a 308 based cartridge. Due to the taper, the 280 at the point where the 6.5 shoulder is located may be large enough. Worth checking.

I believe he’s talking about using a new barrel instead of rechambering his factory barrel.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Show your tikka by SAKO?
Sako 85 Machined for Talleys
MPI Carbon microlight stock

Attachments

• finnlight.PNG
    finnlight.PNG
    828 KB · Views: 356

JWP58

WKR
Nothing special just a .270gay with some krylon (threaded muzzle and fluted bolt). 20moa pic rail and 6x swfa mil/mil.20190515_173234.jpg

Last edited:

prm

WKR
I believe he’s talking about using a new barrel instead of rechambering his factory barrel.

Mike

Yes, good point. I just had rechamber/rebore on my mind as my T3X is getting that done right now.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This is a t3x superlite, mountain tactical bottom metal, mountain tactical trigger spring. Not really a
Custom but I really like it.

Attachments

• FE707A62-C6A3-4207-B806-01CF3E5F2F33.jpeg
    FE707A62-C6A3-4207-B806-01CF3E5F2F33.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 295

fatbacks

WKR
My tikka build is getting a bit out of control. Being assembled right now. This all started because I had a Tikka T3 stainless with laminated stock. Stock began cracking so I replaced the stock... then it morphed into this:

-McMillan Game Hunter Carbon Ultralight
-22” Proof Sendero Lite barrel chambered in 300 WSM with deeper throat
-MT Bottom Metal
-Yodave trigger spring
-Griffin Armament taper mount brake for suppressor
-Filing bolt stop and larger magazine for longer cartridges (loading about 3.1” OAL)

Still deciding on glass.... will post photos when I’m done.

Clarktar

WKR
My tikka build is getting a bit out of control. Being assembled right now. This all started because I had a Tikka T3 stainless with laminated stock. Stock began cracking so I replaced the stock... then it morphed into this:

-McMillan Game Hunter Carbon Ultralight
-22” Proof Sendero Lite barrel chambered in 300 WSM with deeper throat
-MT Bottom Metal
-Yodave trigger spring
-Griffin Armament taper mount brake for suppressor
-Filing bolt stop and larger magazine for longer cartridges (loading about 3.1” OAL)

Still deciding on glass.... will post photos when I’m done.

I'm having a hard time not starting another build. Wanting a 300wsm....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Same. I need to unwatch this thread. LOL. I can’t shake the idea of a WTO SwitchLug setup with a .257 SST and 300 PRC/WSM combo.

Just an FYI, sportsman’s warehouse will now ship guns to your FFL.

ckleeves

WKR

If you pull that factory 6.5 creed barrel I would be interested in it, provided it’s still got a good amount of life in it.

Here’s my elk gun- T3 in .300wm

30e847aa38f1d730ea5490f5200fd8a8.jpg

Looks like you are running a magpul bipod on that rifle. If that is what it is, how do you you like it? Pros? Cons?

Looks like you are running a magpul bipod on that rifle. If that is what it is, how do you you like it? Pros? Cons?

It’s lighter than the Harris, significantly cheaper than an Atlas or Spartan and better quality than say a Caldwell. Only draw back from a hunting perspective is height- maxes out at 10” tall.

It’s lighter than the Harris, significantly cheaper than an Atlas or Spartan and better quality than say a Caldwell. Only draw back from a hunting perspective is height- maxes out at 10” tall.

Thanx for the reply. I've been thinking about picking one up to try it out. Does it have a lot of flex or is it pretty solid?