Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

For folks that have rebarreled their tikka, any advice on a gunsmith to use?

Mike is a good guy to work with.

Longrifles inc has been a common name in the tikka world for a while and I know they used to be known for fast turn around times.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I can contribute now. I haven’t held this yet, just got pictures from Mike.

Started life as a 300wm t3x superlite
Action blueprinted and faced
Rem style recoil lug added
22” HCA light contour carbon barrel, 8 twist
7 SAUM throated for 175 eldx on a long action
MBM titanium beast brake
Southfort labs tikka long range stock, hydro dipped primarily to add grip to the slick stock
Mountain tactical bottom metal, long action wsm mag, bolt stop, and I think bolt shroud

She’s going to be topped with sports match rings and a NF 2.5-10x42.

220d79ff87aa4ac166744364a3aaedd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool! What does she weigh?

Very cool! What does she weigh?

6lb 9oz naked, scope and ring combo will add another 24 oz.

Could trim a few ounces probably without the MT bottom metal, bolt shroud, and javelin gunsmith adapter. This is about as light as I’d want to go for anything I might be shooting 5-600 yards.

I’ve PMd with a few people about sports match rings so figured I could share some here.

The lower size was barely too low for a 2.5-10x42 NXS and barely high enough for a SWFA 3-9. That is with a 1.200” shank, I believe Mike’s standard shank is 1.250” so you would have a tiny bit less clearance yet if going that size.

0285bbb72cf8e0b0b50794771deac3b6.jpg

bababc7fd2d20a786ad85dcdd5ebea3b.jpg

Taller sports match rings are on the way to accommodate the nxs. I considered the Hawkins one-peice but based on specs I wasn’t convinced the highs would be high enough and didn’t strain my brain to figure out how the cant would play into it. I also don’t need the elevation or the bubble level in the ring cap. Leupold’s back country line looks beefier than talleys and might be a good option too.

I’ve PMd with a few people about sports match rings so figured I could share some here.

The lower size was barely too low for a 2.5-10x42 NXS and barely high enough for a SWFA 3-9. That is with a 1.200” shank, I believe Mike’s standard shank is 1.250” so you would have a tiny bit less clearance yet if going that size.

0285bbb72cf8e0b0b50794771deac3b6.jpg

bababc7fd2d20a786ad85dcdd5ebea3b.jpg

Taller sports match rings are on the way to accommodate the nxs. I considered the Hawkins one-peice but based on specs I wasn’t convinced the highs would be high enough and didn’t strain my brain to figure out how the cant would play into it. I also don’t need the elevation or the bubble level in the ring cap. Leupold’s back country line looks beefier than talleys and might be a good option too.

I’ll be interested to see how you like the taller Sportsmatch rings.

I recently ordered a set of TO84 after I broke a Warne Mtn Tech ring on my 223 Tikka. The 223 wears a SWFA 3-9... but I was curious about using those rings for my 6.5 with a Nightforce SHV 4-14x50

I’ll be interested to see how you like the taller Sportsmatch rings.

I recently ordered a set of TO84 after I broke a Warne Mtn Tech ring on my 223 Tikka. The 223 wears a SWFA 3-9... but I was curious about using those rings for my 6.5 with a Nightforce SHV 4-14x50

Dang, how did you break a mountain tech ring?! I just recalled today that the nxs was pretty limited on how far back I could mount it by the objective bell (can see this in pic I posted).The front ring is the one with the recoil pin in it so you would have to give that up if moving it back.. I could see where this can cause problems on scopes with short tubes in front of the turrets or people stretched by a stock with longer than ideal LOP.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up with a pic rail after all just so I can mount whatever scope I want, however I want.

Dang, how did you break a mountain tech ring?! I just recalled today that the nxs was pretty limited on how far back I could mount it by the objective bell (can see this in pic I posted).The front ring is the one with the recoil pin in it so you would have to give that up if moving it back.. I could see where this can cause problems on scopes with short tubes in front of the turrets or people stretched by a stock with longer than ideal LOP.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up with a pic rail after all just so I can mount whatever scope I want, however I want.

Man I wish I knew! I started missing at easy distances with a rifle that’s always been a great shooter... started looking everything over and saw it was cracked all the way through. Sent off an email so we’ll see what happens there. I see what you mean on the NSX... I’d love to find a way to use the NF without a rail

KClark

WKR
The 300 wsm in a Tikka with HCAs new magazines seems to be a match made in Heaven. The 300 WSM is an awesome cartridge but to reach it's full potential it really needs to be loaded a bit longer than anybodies standard short magnum magazine will allow. With long bullets set at something over 3.00, the longer length of the Tikka action (it's still not really a true long action) and Mikes long short magnum (double conundrum ?) magazines it's a winner.

khuber84

WKR
Mike currently is turning my 10 year old 270wsm into a 6.5 saum. Will also have another barrel chambered in 257 saum. Ordered one his new 23" summit barrels that will be an ultralight 300wsm, I can't decide to run another Mesa stock or get a wildcat.

Attachments

• received_320280972236312.jpeg
    received_320280972236312.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 264
Mike currently is turning my 10 year old 270wsm into a 6.5 saum. Will also have another barrel chambered in 257 saum. Ordered one his new 23" summit barrels that will be an ultralight 300wsm, I can't decide to run another Mesa stock or get a wildcat.

I saw on Facebook a few months back that Wildcat was working on a sendero barrel channel for the tikka inlet...

khuber84

WKR
I saw on Facebook a few months back that Wildcat was working on a sendero barrel channel for the tikka inlet...

I saw that too, but their cheek piece is so low for larger obj optics. Finished up with paint and everything they're only 4-5oz lighter than the Mesa latitude.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider

Any plans to use a switchlug system? Or will you be using three separate tikka actions?

I've got my Mesa stock on order, with plans for the same summit barrel. Torn between a 6.5 PRC and 300 WSM switch lug, or just splitting the difference with a 7saum.

khuber84

WKR
Any plans to use a switchlug system? Or will you be using three separate tikka actions?

I've got my Mesa stock on order, with plans for the same summit barrel. Torn between a 6.5 PRC and 300 WSM switch lug, or just splitting the difference with a 7saum.
I'll be shelving the 6.5 saum barrel till I can find another donor for a good price. In the end there will be 3 complete rifles. Its tough to find a stainless Tikka Magnum in a pawn shop or online for cheap. I see that proof is now selling shouldered prefit for Tikka so headspace must be very consistent rifle to rifle. The 7 saum is a good middle ground! Does a lot of things well.